PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rogers Outfitters

stickman
04-04-2006, 15:24
I recently bought a couple of things from Mount Rogers Outfitters as a telephone order. The store is pretty cool if you are in Damascus, but I didn't realize they do telephone orders. I couldn't find the WM sleeping bag I wanted anywhere in the DC area, but I saw MRO listed on the Western Mountaineering site as a dealer. MRO ordered what I wanted and sent it to me, didn't charge me for postage, and made it clear I could send it right back if it wasn't right! That kind of great service deserves to be recognized, in my book.

Stickman

Footslogger
04-04-2006, 15:31
I live way the heck out in Wyoming and have purchased several things from MRO ...both over the phone and on-line. Recent example was a pair of trail shoes I originally bought from them in 2003 that finally died a slow death. Called and they still had them in stock. Had them send me 2 pair.

Great bunch of people and excellent service.

'Slogger

Squeaky 2
04-04-2006, 17:37
i cant speak highly enough of MRO. Jeff has been awesome in putting me intouch with folks for this years hike. always ready to help with everything.

LEGS
04-04-2006, 18:47
Who Is This Jeff Everyone Speaks About, Is He A Hiker?

LEGS
04-04-2006, 18:48
Who Is This Jeff That Everyone Talks About, Is He A Hiker, A Blueblazer, Or What. Where Did He Come From,how Did He End Up In Damascus?

waterboy99
04-04-2006, 19:01
Jeff is the son of Dave one of the orginals owners of MRO. Jeff is a hiker and is a true local, born and raised in Damascus. Jeff is as nice as everyone says he is and very helpful to all.

anneandbenhike
04-04-2006, 19:09
Amen to everything that everyone says about Jeff and Dave. I live near Damascus and frequently go through there on my way to see my son in college in Boone, NC. I always stop there. I also bought a Western Mountaineering bag there after looking EVERYWHERE for it. It has become the integral bag for the sleep system that my husband and I use. Check them out when you are in Damascus.

joel137
04-04-2006, 23:33
Jeff is the son of Dave one of the orginals owners of MRO. Jeff is a hiker and is a true local, born and raised in Damascus. Jeff is as nice as everyone says he is and very helpful to all.

And I would add, very knowledgable

neo
04-05-2006, 09:04
they are great,they shuttled me to hyw 19E in 2001 and i stayed at daves place hostel also,they have a lot of great gear and services:cool: neo

D'Artagnan
04-05-2006, 09:46
I caught a shuttle from MRO this past Saturday to VA 660 (Elk Garden) for a little dayhike back into Damascus. The time I spent that morning with Jeff and the guys at the shop were one of the highlights of my trip. They're very outgoing and sincere in their desire to help hikers. My emails were answered even though I'm certain they had been asked the same questions hundreds of times and I felt like they really wanted me to enjoy my time in and around Damascus. I can't wait to go back.

My only complaint is that they're a little over two hours' drive from my house!:rolleyes:

gonzo
04-05-2006, 10:14
Can't say enough good things about the staff at MRO. Bought my first pack from a store in Richmond, VA that sold me the wrong size simply to make a commission off my sale. I was in MRO in '99 complaining how my pack fit oddly so they looked at it, shook their heads in disbelief, and helped me get properly fit into a great Gregory Lassen that I've been using for the last 7 years. Thanks again MRO!

Local
04-05-2006, 13:43
photo of Jeff attached - in addition to being a great resource and a good father, he helps run most of the youth programs in town - he is also one of the most patient people you will ever meet

A-Train
04-05-2006, 15:31
Those guys are awesome. They switched out my Gregory hipbelt when I came thru in April 03' and didn't even charge me. Very friendly, and a great shop for thru-hikers. I believe Dave thru-hiked, maybe in 1990? Old Fhart has a pic of him on the site somewhere.

LEGS
04-05-2006, 18:47
Damn Do They Charge For Autographs, Bet They Could Do It!!! Sounds Like They Are Pretty Well Liked!
Guess I'll Stop In And See Them In A Week Or Two. Maybe They'll Help Me With A New Tent!

passinBYE
04-05-2006, 23:09
They are awesome...I bought a Mountain Hardware Phantom 32 sleeping bag...2 weeks ago..Jeff gave me such a good deal...I won't even mention the price...I am going there tomorrow...for some more gear and I will be sure to let him know everyone's apprecation

topshelf
01-08-2012, 10:23
Can anyone tell me if MRO sells any hammock gear? I'm looking for an underquilt specifically.

Hoofit
01-08-2012, 10:35
Got to Agree - went in there with a leaky sleeping pad just to see if they could fix it for me on my 2010 thru-hike.
That guy Jeff, took the pad out to the back where they have a workshop and spent almost an hour very diligently gluing and fixing several leaks whilst sharing some local information with me. And this was at peak time, Traildays.
Came away very impressed - refused to even charge me anything and the fix held up.
Just decent folk...

CrumbSnatcher
01-08-2012, 11:06
im proud to say jeff and dave are my friends, i get most of my gear thru MRO
some of the best people i ever met

WILLIAM HAYES
01-08-2012, 23:04
jeff and dave are good people always been super to me
Hillbilly