PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Vehicle parking

dAKOTA sLIM
03-10-2023, 14:19
Doing a short section hike and need to park my vehicle overnight at the new river crossing in Pearisburg, VA. Any recommendations on a safe spot to leave my vehicle overnight?

SAWNIE
03-10-2023, 14:46
That is a very good question. I would suggest that you approach owners/managers of nearby businesses asking if they have a policy on this. Definitely plan to pay. not much but enough to make the property owner more comfortable if that is an issue. As the owner of a field by my home close to the AT, I have loosely accepted the responsibility of watching over a hiker's vehicle but also insisted on holding its keys in case the vehicle needs to be able to be moved while the driver is absent. Why? In case of an approaching wildfire, for instance. No problems ever.

Kaptainkriz
03-11-2023, 10:44
I’ve leveraged Angels Rest Hiker’s Haven when in that area. Nice hostel with slack, shuttle, and parking options.

Ardency
03-11-2023, 16:12
Left my car at the Pearis Cemetery Parking lot off Route 100 (Narrow Rd) for two nights October 2022. No problems.

Wolf - 23000
03-12-2023, 13:00
I have not had any problems, but it has been several years since I was in the area. Before leaving my car at a location, I look on the ground for glass from broken windows. Also, fresh cans of beer laying around are signs locals like to hang out there. It gives me an idea of places to avoid before leaving my car.

Wolf

johnnybgood
03-12-2023, 13:52
I’ve leveraged Angels Rest Hiker’s Haven when in that area. Nice hostel with slack, shuttle, and parking options.

Angels Rest is the best option here. I also have left a car overnight at the Farm Bureau parking lot south of the bridge crossing the New River.

HankIV
03-12-2023, 22:43
Left my car at the Pearis Cemetery Parking lot off Route 100 (Narrow Rd) for two nights October 2022. No problems.

Good way to end up with a dead battery.

JPritch
03-12-2023, 22:53
Angels Rest is the best option here. I also have left a car overnight at the Farm Bureau parking lot south of the bridge crossing the New River.

I feel exactly the same. I've used the Farm Bureau lot without issue. It's at a business, fronts a busy road, so I think this minimizes theft. But if Angels Rest is an option, then use it and not have to worry about your car.

SAWNIE
03-13-2023, 13:33
Great tips, Wolf. Thank you.

CalebJ
03-13-2023, 15:27

Good way to end up with a dead battery.
Why would the battery be dead?

BillyGr
03-13-2023, 16:32
Why would the battery be dead?
Maybe one of those "odd" sites where the spirits are sucking the power out of the battery? There have been reports of things like that (not that they are 100% true or not).