PDA

View Full Version : AT hiker trend

Maineiac64
04-03-2023, 14:56
I was bouncing around the Georgia section of the AT this weekend and in talking to hikers, ridge runners, and others close to the trail community it looks like the numbers of thru hikers will be down this year by about 20%; I have also heard that in general the hikers seem on average to be older than in years past. I am not sure how the pandemic recovery, economic turmoil with inflation, or maybe even the ability work remote has impacted the draw to hike the AT.

somers515
04-03-2023, 17:49
Interesting observation - thanks for sharing! I plan on flip-flopping this year and I suspect I will be considered "older" : ) Less overall crowds is something I usually appreciate!

peakbagger
04-03-2023, 18:09
I started a thread on VFTT regarding my observations that I see less folks on the trails in the whites compared to the last two Covid years. Its strictly subjective since I do not have any numbers, but I think a lot of folks lives were thronw up in the air due to Covid and its going to take a while for things to settle out.

RockDoc
04-03-2023, 18:18
maybe the 40% excess deaths last year has something to do with it...

cliffordbarnabus
04-04-2023, 01:36
I started a thread on VFTT regarding my observations that I see less folks on the trails in the whites compared to the last two Covid years. Its strictly subjective since I do not have any numbers, but I think a lot of folks lives were thronw up in the air due to Covid and its going to take a while for things to settle out.

so many acronyms these days... what's vftt? thanks!

Leo L.
04-04-2023, 05:13
so many acronyms these days... what's vftt? thanks!

https://www.vftt.org/

Traveler
04-04-2023, 12:32
I was bouncing around the Georgia section of the AT this weekend and in talking to hikers, ridge runners, and others close to the trail community it looks like the numbers of thru hikers will be down this year by about 20%; I have also heard that in general the hikers seem on average to be older than in years past. I am not sure how the pandemic recovery, economic turmoil with inflation, or maybe even the ability work remote has impacted the draw to hike the AT.

A lot of the hiker impact with respect to the Appalachian Trail is financial. During the pandemic people lost jobs, some were unable to obtain preventive and/or treatment for illnesses that diminished their physical ability along with their bank accounts. I know several people who, if the pandemic had not occurred would be on a thru hike. However, they do not have the financial ability to nor the work leave liberty to take a 6-month vacation. Few if any employers can afford to let people take several months off and would have to hire replacements, putting the hiker out of work without a guarantee of robust job market to come back to. Security starts and ends with the financial platform one has to operate from.

I think the reason we see more seniors on the trail is there are more retired seniors. The pandemic made it difficult for people of age and co-morbidities to remain in a work environment. A lot of people took early retirement and hunkered down until recently. I suspect we will see an overall declined population, especially in the younger population, on thru hikes for a few years until people build back their ability to take the time off to do the trek.

gpburdelljr
04-04-2023, 13:45

Hiker registrations on the ATC website reflect about a 20% reduction compared to last year.

https://atcamp.org/atthruhikerreports.cfm

peakbagger
04-04-2023, 14:13
Just think of the numbers on the PCT this year;)

Dan Roper
04-05-2023, 04:26
When I came to Georgia in 1979, the population was under 5 million people. Today it's more than 10 million. Most of the growth was in North Georgia, where there's good access to the Cohutta Wilderness Area. I've been hiking there since 1983, and as best I can, use there is about the same as it was 40 years ago. Despite a burgeoning population, outdoor recreation of "our type" doesn't seem to be keeping pace. Why? In this electronic age, people prefer staying closer to home and spend far more time with electronics. That, in turn, has changed lifestyles, to a more sedentary form. Also, people are less familiar with the woods and therefore less comfortable there. In the 1980s, hunting and fishing were more popular than they are today. It is much less common to see people doing those activities in the Cohuttas.

A small percentage of the population loves extreme outdoors activities like backpacking, but it's very small.

Ten years ago, the AT community was worried that the "Walk in the Woods" movie would drive up AT use. There was a bump, but not much of one.

AT use in some areas, especially proximate to the major urban centers, may be up somewhat. But it's not keeping pace with population growth. Young folks (except for a small percentage) are opting out, just like most have transitioned from the written word to digital products.

Dan Roper
04-05-2023, 04:34
Update: Fact-checking myself belatedly, Georgia's population in 1979 was more than 5 million (not 4). Also, "A Walk in the Woods" came out eight years ago (2015), not ten.

No Match
04-05-2023, 08:51
You are exactly right, ATC is saying 24-27 percent swon via an employee. Lack of WiFi, outrageously overpriced Chinese made gear, bear/mice issues are all part of it. The appeal is absent for the new incoming trekkers. The dirty word for today around the Pentagon is 'draft.' Recruiters are in a struggle to meet quotas, not even close to the minimum requirement. My children don't want to be anywhere there is no WiFi. I was told from a career marine that the lack of WiFi was the main reason for his comrades getting out. No hostel/shuttle, FarOut, battery recharge,YouTube, whatever.

LittleRock
04-05-2023, 10:48
That makes sense. The number of hikers increased artificially the past 2 years due to the pandemic, because hiking is a "safe" outdoor activity. Now that the pandemic has faded into the background, a lot of folks are switching back to more traditional vacations.

Hopefully this means the number of rescues required for unprepared hikers will also decrease.

petedelisio
04-12-2023, 12:51
Well, 4 to 7 years ago a gallon of milk at my grocery store averaged $2 now over $5.
Granola bars about a buck, now over $4 and smaller.
Used to bounce boxes affordable, now most college kids would have to take a loan for a bounce box. I'm not checking rental car prices and travel expenses to north Georgia area these days.

FlyPaper
04-12-2023, 15:15
When I came to Georgia in 1979, the population was under 5 million people. Today it's more than 10 million. Most of the growth was in North Georgia, where there's good access to the Cohutta Wilderness Area. I've been hiking there since 1983, and as best I can, use there is about the same as it was 40 years ago. Despite a burgeoning population, outdoor recreation of "our type" doesn't seem to be keeping pace. Why? In this electronic age, people prefer staying closer to home and spend far more time with electronics. That, in turn, has changed lifestyles, to a more sedentary form. Also, people are less familiar with the woods and therefore less comfortable there. In the 1980s, hunting and fishing were more popular than they are today. It is much less common to see people doing those activities in the Cohuttas.

A small percentage of the population loves extreme outdoors activities like backpacking, but it's very small.

Ten years ago, the AT community was worried that the "Walk in the Woods" movie would drive up AT use. There was a bump, but not much of one.

AT use in some areas, especially proximate to the major urban centers, may be up somewhat. But it's not keeping pace with population growth. Young folks (except for a small percentage) are opting out, just like most have transitioned from the written word to digital products.

I suspect you're on to something. When we were young, we played outside with other kids in the neighborhood. Nowadays, even if we wanted to force our kids to play out side, they'd have to deal with the fact that other kids in the neighborhood are inside on their iphones. Lots of other things are losing ground due to our changing culture (e.g. MLB viewership).

It was already a small percentage of people who'd choose to spend multi-nights on the AT for fun. In more recent times, it seems likely that a smaller percentage of young people will make this unusual choice.

HankIV
04-12-2023, 18:59
maybe the 40% excess deaths last year has something to do with it...

40% of hikers died last year?!?! Man that sucks.

HankIV
04-12-2023, 19:03
It was already a small percentage of people who'd choose to spend multi-nights on the AT for fun. In more recent times, it seems likely that a smaller percentage of young people will make this unusual choice.

Keep in mind that there are also just fewer young folk, as percent of the population. Glad I took my kids when they were teens—my younger daughter wants to do about 10 days this summer. I am lucky.

Seatbelt
04-13-2023, 09:29
40% of hikers died last year?!?! Man that sucks.
Yep, that is enough to scare me off the trail too at my age.

petedelisio
04-13-2023, 17:24
Yep, that is enough to scare me off the trail too at my age.

I think you read that wrong.
It is 40% of the Entire world's population died.
You have to consider statistics and per capita my man... not just the per capita of hikers attempting to just walk 2,2oo miles in an entire whole year.

Maineiac64
04-13-2023, 19:42
I don’t know where 40% idea comes from?
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Dan Roper
04-13-2023, 20:47
He doesn't mean 40% of the population died. He means that actual deaths higher than expected/anticipated mortality based upon historic deathrates. I haven't looked at the underlying numbers recently but did so during the first two years of the Covid crisis. It was another way of measuring the impact of the pandemic. We know that each year about x% of Americans (or other demographic category) die. So if x+3% die in a given year, the mortality was 3% higher than expected. That might be due to chance, disease, pandemic, accident, war, malnutrition, drought, etc. I can't imagine a 40% rate, so I'd be a bit skeptical but would accept the statistical analysis of a legit agency.

petedelisio
04-13-2023, 23:32
He doesn't mean 40% of the population died

Yeah most of us understood that.
Would really suck if the world pop. dropped from 8 BILLION People to 4 BILLION. Tid be a tad wierd to say the least let alone a tad bit more noticeable, doncha' think?

HankIV
04-14-2023, 00:00

Holy cow, 695,497 hikers died of heart disease? Guess I’ll be posting on the Selling Used Gear forum soon, if my wife hears about this.

Seatbelt
04-14-2023, 07:12
I think you read that wrong.
It is 40% of the Entire world's population died.
You have to consider statistics and per capita my man... not just the per capita of hikers attempting to just walk 2,2oo miles in an entire whole year.
I was just being tongue in cheek, it sounded absurd as a blanket statement.

One Half
04-14-2023, 08:13
He doesn't mean 40% of the population died. He means that actual deaths higher than expected/anticipated mortality based upon historic deathrates. I haven't looked at the underlying numbers recently but did so during the first two years of the Covid crisis. It was another way of measuring the impact of the pandemic. We know that each year about x% of Americans (or other demographic category) die. So if x+3% die in a given year, the mortality was 3% higher than expected. That might be due to chance, disease, pandemic, accident, war, malnutrition, drought, etc. I can't imagine a 40% rate, so I'd be a bit skeptical but would accept the statistical analysis of a legit agency.
40% is what has been reported by the insurers as they are paying out "death benefits."

petedelisio
04-14-2023, 08:50
40% is what has been reported by the insurers as they are paying out "death benefits."

Ok, now I have to ask for clarification.
40% of what died? Hikers(tic)?

LazyLightning
04-14-2023, 16:56
I think maybe 40% of the common sense in this world may have died since the pandemic

gpburdelljr
04-14-2023, 17:16
I think maybe 40% of the common sense in this world may have died since the pandemic
Yep, and common sense is anythng but common.

capehiker
04-19-2023, 21:58
You are exactly right, ATC is saying 24-27 percent swon via an employee. Lack of WiFi, outrageously overpriced Chinese made gear, bear/mice issues are all part of it. The appeal is absent for the new incoming trekkers. The dirty word for today around the Pentagon is 'draft.' Recruiters are in a struggle to meet quotas, not even close to the minimum requirement. My children don't want to be anywhere there is no WiFi. I was told from a career marine that the lack of WiFi was the main reason for his comrades getting out. No hostel/shuttle, FarOut, battery recharge,YouTube, whatever.

I’m going to disagree about Wi-Fi being that big of an issue on the AT. Cell signals and service are good enough to stream videos and social media apps on the trail. Military personnel aren’t getting out because of Wi-Fi issues. That’s “boomer bro” talk. People are getting out because they’re no longer willing to die for the King’s bidding.

Odd Man Out
04-20-2023, 13:27
Yeah most of us understood that.
Would really suck if the world pop. dropped from 8 BILLION People to 4 BILLION. Tid be a tad wierd to say the least let alone a tad bit more noticeable, doncha' think?

OK. Which one of us snapped their fingers?

jomo1983
04-20-2023, 13:50
who knew that death was the leading cause of failed thru hikes?

HankIV
04-21-2023, 00:07

I thought it was the other way round, that most deaths are from 40% of thru hikes that fail.

Odd Man Out
04-21-2023, 00:15

Technically, death is the ONLY cause of failed section hikers.

petedelisio
04-27-2023, 20:55

1.5 out of every 100 people seems a stretch too.
More like .01% fatality rate near me and I don't think 40% of average health individuals got any shots. Even many with diabetes didn't get it.

HankIV
04-27-2023, 22:20
I heard that if you read the word Covid it’s fatal. Everyone who has has either died or is going to.

Longboysfan
04-30-2023, 14:09
Just back from 6 day NOBO section hike.
Yes older male hikers are in numbers out there and of them they seemed to be endurance athletes.
These were near the front of the current bubble which is approaching Damascus VA in a few days.
This being April 30th.
I had a great hike with the three brothers as I called them - really two brothers and a friend.
Along with Bagel and Scoops.
I did hear the Noro virus is out there - in the shelters.
Ran into on hiker in the Iron Mountain shelter with Noro. I moved on to Double springs.

Grampie
05-02-2023, 19:01
I thru-hiked the AT 22 years ago. I was 65 years old and hiking the trail was an experience of my life time.
After my hike, I became a volunteer caretaker at a AT cabin on Upper Goose Pond in Mass. I did this for 18 years spending many hours talking to hikers about their trip. This interaction with many thru-hikers gave me insight into how the thru-hiker community has changed over the years.
Most hikers were glad to have a roof to sleep under, spring water to drink and pancakes for breakfast at one of the best overnights on the AT. We only asked for a donation to help cover the costs. Arriving hikers would first ask about cabin accommodations, where the privy's were located and could they swim in the pond. When they left the following morning, they would be so thankful for the stay they had.
As more and more hikers started to hike with cell phones, I could see the attitude of younger hikers changing. The first question, on arriving, was where they could charge their phone and was cell service available. Some left the cabin when they were told that there was no electricity and cell reception was not good. What seemed to me that were more interested in talking on their phone than enjoying what the AT cabin had to offer.
Many hikers today, that stop at the cabin, won't take the time to talk about their hike. They spend a lot of time on their phone and are missing a great opportunity to be outdoors enjoying nature. The cell phone has made them a prisoner of modern tech.

High-Milage Hiker
05-04-2023, 22:55
I read that 75 million Baby Boomers will be retired by 2030. That's a lot of potential hikers.

Dan Roper
05-08-2023, 21:39
I just finished a four-day NOBO trip that began at the James River Footbridge in Virginia.

I stayed at Stanimals in Glasgow the night before I set out. Really enjoyed my time there. The Bubble hasn't reached Glasgow yet, but there were perhaps 12-15 backpackers there that night, and 21 the night before.

For an hour, I sat in the living room with four other male backpackers, two young, two older-middle aged. They stared at their phones for at least an hour without saying a word. Twenty years ago, the five of us would've been telling stories, laughing, learning about one another, discussing the trail. These four gents seemed nice and normal for this day and time. I don't have a phone, so I read a book awhile and then wandered into the dining room and sat at a table where a group of younger hikers were doing the old-fashioned thing - sitting and laughing and talking. That was refreshing.

One of the real oddities was that I mentioned Whiteblaze two two young hikers, both females. Both had blank looks. They'd never heard of it! Ten years ago, that would've been an impossibility.

One Half
05-09-2023, 08:40
Have you seen that demographic? I would guess that we will see fewer hikers from that group than we have seen from previous retirees. And even fewer hikers from the much younger generations.

I read that 75 million Baby Boomers will be retired by 2030. That's a lot of potential hikers.

One Half
05-09-2023, 08:43
The younger generations grew up in technology where mine grew up on the leading edge of technology. We have a 25 year old son so we see it first hand. I also have another hobby (genealogy) where the younger hobbyists (and even wannabe professionals) think if it's not online the record doesn't exist. I started out by actually GOING to repositories. The world, it is a'changing.

I just finished a four-day NOBO trip that began at the James River Footbridge in Virginia.

I stayed at Stanimals in Glasgow the night before I set out. Really enjoyed my time there. The Bubble hasn't reached Glasgow yet, but there were perhaps 12-15 backpackers there that night, and 21 the night before.

For an hour, I sat in the living room with four other male backpackers, two young, two older-middle aged. They stared at their phones for at least an hour without saying a word. Twenty years ago, the five of us would've been telling stories, laughing, learning about one another, discussing the trail. These four gents seemed nice and normal for this day and time. I don't have a phone, so I read a book awhile and then wandered into the dining room and sat at a table where a group of younger hikers were doing the old-fashioned thing - sitting and laughing and talking. That was refreshing.

One of the real oddities was that I mentioned Whiteblaze two two young hikers, both females. Both had blank looks. They'd never heard of it! Ten years ago, that would've been an impossibility.

Seatbelt
05-09-2023, 08:43
For an hour, I sat in the living room with four other male backpackers, two young, two older-middle aged. They stared at their phones for at least an hour without saying a word. One of the real oddities was that I mentioned Whiteblaze two two young hikers, both females. Both had black looks. They'd never heard of it! Ten years ago, that would've been an impossibility.
The four guys were probably texting each other!! In recent years, I have had the same response from most folks I have met on the trail when asking them about Whiteblaze. Very few times have I had anyone recognize what I was talking about. I mostly have quit mentioning it.

wornoutboots
05-11-2023, 12:43
I thru-hiked the AT 22 years ago. I was 65 years old and hiking the trail was an experience of my life time.
After my hike, I became a volunteer caretaker at a AT cabin on Upper Goose Pond in Mass. I did this for 18 years spending many hours talking to hikers about their trip. This interaction with many thru-hikers gave me insight into how the thru-hiker community has changed over the years.
Most hikers were glad to have a roof to sleep under, spring water to drink and pancakes for breakfast at one of the best overnights on the AT. We only asked for a donation to help cover the costs. Arriving hikers would first ask about cabin accommodations, where the privy's were located and could they swim in the pond. When they left the following morning, they would be so thankful for the stay they had.
As more and more hikers started to hike with cell phones, I could see the attitude of younger hikers changing. The first question, on arriving, was where they could charge their phone and was cell service available. Some left the cabin when they were told that there was no electricity and cell reception was not good. What seemed to me that were more interested in talking on their phone than enjoying what the AT cabin had to offer.
Many hikers today, that stop at the cabin, won't take the time to talk about their hike. They spend a lot of time on their phone and are missing a great opportunity to be outdoors enjoying nature. The cell phone has made them a prisoner of modern tech.

Thanks for your service Grampie!!! I was thankful to sleep on the Upper Goose Porch last November after it had closed for the season, really Neat Place!!

I do also agree that younger hikers tend to be much more drama filled with their phones glued to their hands than us old lolligaggers, but it is cool & enjoyable when you run into a few who are unlike the rest.

HankIV
05-11-2023, 21:58
Yeah, and OUR (us late 50’s+) parents would have thought how weird it is that we “chat” on bulletin boards. Their parents would have complained about them being on the phone all the time. Their parents would have thought they were wasteful for not writing both vertically and horizontally on a sheet of paper for a letter, as well as front and back.

Paulieva
05-21-2023, 16:11
That’s what I was thinking. With travel getting back to normal, Younger folks want to do something more exciting like go to Europe.

Slugg
05-21-2023, 23:51
That’s what I was thinking. With travel getting back to normal, Younger folks want to do something more exciting like go to Europe.

I love backpacking and love traveling, to Europe among other parts of the world. Quite a stretch to blanketly call traveling to Europe “more exciting”. Think it’s just that there’s more options.