PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Hennessey

jazilla
04-05-2006, 10:17
I have been hiking for a while. With the military then once I got out I kind of lost it with school and all. Am getting back into it and don't want anything to do with the ground. Do have a jungle hammock but that is for the birds. I do have a Hennessey coming and it should be here next week. I was just wondering I got a BPULAsym. The weight limit is said to be 200lbs. I weight 180, and I was wondering if this will cause a problem if I decided to sleep with my gear. Just wondering for some input:-?

peter_pan
04-05-2006, 10:42
You will be fine...assuming you are not talking ALICE, 60 pounds of ammo and two mortar rounds.

Welcome to the hanging crowd.

Pan

Seeker
04-05-2006, 10:46
hey! i was just down your way on a school trip on monday! welcome!

i've got the HH ULBA, and weigh about 185 or so... it's fine. not sure what extra gear you have that needs to go inside, but if you're like me, once camp is set up and the food bag is hung, there's not much left to put away... my base weight is about 13-15 lbs, plus food and water. even if you're up in the 20 range, you should be fine.

welcome to the hanging crowd...

erichlf
04-05-2006, 11:39
I had the same hammock. I fit my wife myself and my dog in it. I believe that is about 280lbs. It sagged almost down to the ground, but nothing ripped.

RadioFreq
04-05-2006, 12:01
I got mine last year and used it for a lot of weekend trips. I weigh 220 and
have had no problems.

jazilla
04-05-2006, 13:35
Thank you for the help. Takes a lot of my worries away. Now the only other thing I have to worry about is how to convince the wife light equipment is a need and not a want.

Seeker
04-05-2006, 15:26
Thank you for the help. Takes a lot of my worries away. Now the only other thing I have to worry about is how to convince the wife light equipment is a need and not a want.

does she hike? if so, load up a pack with all the 'heavy' gear. load another pack with the lighter gear. same functions, same level of safety, same food and water... and then ask her which pack she'd rather carry... it should be a simple 'this is obviously better'...

if she doesn't hike, you might have more trouble... maybe an appeal to how much more enjoyable your trip would be if you weren't all dogged out at the end of the day, how much more relaxed you'd be at the end of the trip, or some such emotionally-related thing...

if that doesn't work, do it one item at a time... sleeping bag first (probably most expensive. everything else will be easier after that), then shelter, then pack... might ask for one 'gift' per holiday (birthday, father's day, and christmas). the rest of it is not all that expensive (alkie stove, clothes, shoes, water treatment, knife, lights, etc.) and can be gotten more quickly.

Hana_Hanger
04-05-2006, 15:29
Aloha and Welcome jazilla

Just a hint your gear can fit under the hammock without getting wet (unless heavy side rain etc...) or better yet hang all your gear beside your hammock in a tiny hammock setup.
JustJeff came up with this and I think JRB sells them on their site.

If tight for extra cash...any cloth will do. I use a lavalava (cloth worn as clothing) and simply knot each end put a cord on it and tie to the same tree as my hammock. It usually fits under the tarp with me.

Convincing the wife ( my hubby does this by buying want he wants and hiding it in the carport/garage....then brings it out as needed...hee hee and claims he always had it..it's not new! I let him think this is working :P

He buys tools and gadjets and I buy gear...only fair :)

Alligator
04-05-2006, 15:51
Convincing the wife ( my hubby does this by buying want he wants and hiding it in the carport/garage....then brings it out as needed...hee hee and claims he always had it..it's not new! I let him think this is working :P
... :)
Note to self: The women are on to us. Devise new spending plan.

jazilla
04-05-2006, 16:16
I wish my wife did hike. The closet I can get from her is a 3 days at a State Park in a tent with water and elec. hook-ups. Then she wants to bring a jell mattress and her straining iron. I told her my hammock will be in before our group trip she is coming on, so I am sleeping in a tree. I told her what ever she wants she will have to lug and set up. I will have to do it cause I'm a loving hubby of 4 months but I am hoping the fear of having to do it her self will cause her to bring only the things she needs. I want to go on vacation to TN this summer. I was station there in the Army. Would like to do a part of the AT but I need something with a trail head where she can stay in a motel room and I can do 10 to 15 mile day hikes. Any suggestions any one?

Seeker
04-05-2006, 17:50
I am hoping the fear of having to do it her self will cause her to bring only the things she needs. I want to go on vacation to TN this summer. I was station there in the Army. Would like to do a part of the AT but I need something with a trail head where she can stay in a motel room and I can do 10 to 15 mile day hikes. Any suggestions any one?

'lugging only what she needs' is a distant hope... education/experience would help differentiate between need and want... i have a 15 year old daughter who won't camp, and will hardly use a port-a-john, and an 11 year old daughter who wonders why port-a-johns exist at all when there are plenty of trees handy... the one understands the difference between need and want... the other doesn't... i'm still working on it...

ok... the camping dilema... sort of like a unified theory of quantum physics, i think...

i'd recommend you go to townsend, tn, up in the smokies... it's not far from the more popular gatlinburg/sevierville/pigeon forge area, but not nearly as crowded... nice little town, plenty to do, easy drive (though winding) from gatlinburg if you simply HAVE to go there, and nice places to stay. you can hit any of several trailheads from the area... PM me for details if you want to.

erichlf
04-05-2006, 18:10
My wife and I were planning a through hike. And then one day while camping she tells me she hates it. Good thing she didn't do that on the AT. I would have been pissed. She keeps telling me she will still do the through hike with me, and I just laugh. No way, no how.

joec
04-05-2006, 20:08
My wife is good for about 2 days and she hits the whine zone. Still a trooper for going in the first place. We did a two day hike last yr and I started worrying about her at mile 8. Got to Saunders shelter and there was a lady camped there and hiking by herself. My wife picked herself up and started chatting and all was well!

neo
04-05-2006, 23:19
you will not have a problem at all,go for it:cool: neo