PDA

View Full Version : Stuff sacks: what sizes?

burger
04-05-2006, 13:45
I'm just wondering what size stuff sacks people use for their food, clothes, etc. on thru-hikes? I'm probably going to use the Sea-to-Summit ultra-sil dry sacks, but I'm not sure which size, and I can't check them out in person (being 3 hours from the nearest decent outfitter). Any thoughts? Thanks!

Footslogger
04-05-2006, 13:52
The ones I use are about 6" x 15" and are silnylon (from Equinox). I generally have 3 of them in my pack and they fit perfectly laying horizontally in my pack: sleeping bag, clothes, food. They are all the same size but different colors so that I know what's in each of them at a glance. I also have a smaller one that I put snacks in and keep right up top for easy access.

'Slogger

Seeker
04-05-2006, 15:18
not a thru-hiker yet, but:

i use a homemade silnylon 8 x 10 for my sleeping bag (would actually pack down to 6 x 8, but i don't like to squish it that hard). sewed a piece of fleece to one side and use it for a pillow.

i use a homemade silnylon 4x6 for my repair and first aid kit (one bag). there's plenty of room left over.

i use whatever size silnylon bag came with my JRB underquilt for it. packs down to about 7x7x7, i think. same with the HH... it came in its own silnylon bag, about 6x8.

finally, i use an old sleeping bag stuff sack (some sort of heavy nylon), about 10 x 14, for my food. i'll replace it when i get some more silnylon.

nothing else goes in a stuff sack. i use a garbage bag to line my pack (golite gust), and stuff my extra socks, longjohns, hats, and gloves all over the place to fill deadspace. raingear just lays near the top.

all of the homemade ones are green, the quilt bag is a different shade of green, and the food bag is red. they're all different sizes, contain different items/textures, and go in different places in my pack. i can tell them apart in the dark by feel, so the colors don't matter.

Peaks
04-05-2006, 17:29
My food goes in a sleeping bag size stuff sack.

Most of my clothing goes in a 2 gallon size zip-lock.

Hana_Hanger
04-05-2006, 22:21
HI,
I just got my Sea to Summit ones and I had ordered the 2 liter one for digital camera, extra batteries, Headlamp, MP3 player, matches and ID etc
The 4 liter one for small snacks, 2 prs of socks, skull cap, gloves and maps.
I think you would need the large 8 liter and up for clothes and food.

Hana_Hanger
04-05-2006, 22:30
I forgot to add it is hard to go by the size with these because the 2 liter says it is 8" x 12" but remember you have to roll the tops down two or three times before clipping the buckle together.
That 2 liter one just barely fit all my goodies I listed to go in it...well add meds and lipstick...:)

alanthealan
04-06-2006, 12:12
I never been big on stuff sacks seems to me I already have one big one (my pack) why use more. However for food those OR sacks are pretty tuff, and a little one for tooth brush and other odds -n- ends is convenent. As far as sizes take what you plan to put in it to the store and test it. O yeah those light wieght dry bags are cool but for distance I still use the trash bag.

Footslogger
04-06-2006, 12:14
I never been big on stuff sacks seems to me I already have one big one (my pack) why use more. However for food those OR sacks are pretty tuff, and a little one for tooth brush and other odds -n- ends is convenent. As far as sizes take what you plan to put in it to the store and test it. O yeah those light wieght dry bags are cool but for distance I still use the trash bag.
==================================
So ...you put your sleeping bag and clothes loose in your pack ??

'Slogger

LostInSpace
04-06-2006, 23:00
I have found that by using larger stuff sacks for everything I carry, the sacks of items actually take up less space in my pack. Losely stuffed sacks conform to the shape of the pack better, so there is less wasted pockets between items. I find this works for the sleeping bag, too. I compress the sleeping bag and stuff sack when I stuff them into the pack rather than stuffing in a rock hard lump.

alanthealan
04-10-2006, 11:10
yep just shove em into my pack. If it's nasty I'll use a trash bag liner.