PDA

View Full Version : More Dehydrating ?'s

kittyrock13
04-05-2006, 14:48
So you've got a bag of dehydrated bits... say carrot, sauce, meat... how much water to bring it back to life? Is there a rule of thumb here?
Also, tofu... has anyone dried it? Is this a wothwhile protein source?
Thanks for any and all suggestions. I am new at this.

jaywalke
04-05-2006, 15:19
Start with just barely enough water to cover it. You can always add more, but simmering away when you put in too much is a pain. It is trial-and-error, but your initial guesses will improve with time.

PKH
04-05-2006, 15:22
The general rule is, just add enough boiling water to cover the dehydrated food. You always add a little more water if necessary. In other words, err on the side of caution - not quite enough is better than too much.

Cheers,

PKH

sarbar
04-05-2006, 20:20
For most dried food (not counting dried soups or pasta sauce alone) youc an do equal food to water (ie..1 cup food, 1 cup water). This works out to be about the same as covering the food.
You can do it a couple ways...presoaking, then heating up at dinner time, or you can bring to a boil in a pot, and cook till done, or boil in pan and put your pan in a pot cozy...or my favorite way-just cover your food with the boiling water (I use bags), and put in a cozy for 10-15 minutes.
You don't have to presoak food or simmer it for 15 minutes :) Cozies will free you from fuel use.

Doctari
04-05-2006, 22:08
If you dehydrate yourself, rehydration is easy.

Before you dry whatever, fill the cookpot (or ziplock, etc.) you will use on trail to whatever you consider full, that much (whatever) goes on each tray, ie; one serving per tray. On trail: add water to the "Full point", perfect rehydration amount each time.

Store bought noodles (Mac n Cheese, Noodles n sauce, etc.) 1 part noodles, 2 parts water. Example: Kraft Mac n Cheese is 1 cup noodles (I just measured yesterday), add 2 cups water & they will be cooked, & just damp/wet enough to re do the cheese sauce. I add just a touch of olive oil just before putting in the sauce, adds Calories & flavor. Or use Squeeze Parkay, less calories, a bit better flavor.

Doctari.