PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas and Maybe a little help...

doobe01
04-05-2006, 16:45
I registered thru-hiker.net yesterday and would like to start a "wikipedia type site" with all the info regarding the AT, thru-hikes, sections hikes etc. This format makes for easy searching. if you have never heard of it check out wikipedia.com...i have installed the same software on my site and need a little help with some information gathering. I also need some help creating some images for logos and that type of thing for the site. I think this will be a great way for newcomers and veterans alike to access information. If anyone has any ideas or anything like that let me know. I m also looking for someone to help with image creation and the like, so if you are good with that sort of thing please let me know. I do not want to take anything away from WhiteBlaze because it is a great site and i love it and have learned so much from it. I just think it would be a great companion to a great forum enviroment like WhiteBlaze. Thanks.

Nicholas Dube
GA - ME '07

doobe01
04-05-2006, 17:10
You can view the site at http://www.thru-hiker.net/mwiki/

Skidsteer
04-05-2006, 17:14
I registered thru-hiker.net yesterday and would like to start a "wikipedia type site" with all the info regarding the AT, thru-hikes, sections hikes etc. This format makes for easy searching. if you have never heard of it check out wikipedia.com...i have installed the same software on my site and need a little help with some information gathering. I also need some help creating some images for logos and that type of thing for the site. I think this will be a great way for newcomers and veterans alike to access information. If anyone has any ideas or anything like that let me know. I m also looking for someone to help with image creation and the like, so if you are good with that sort of thing please let me know. I do not want to take anything away from WhiteBlaze because it is a great site and i love it and have learned so much from it. I just think it would be a great companion to a great forum enviroment like WhiteBlaze. Thanks.

Nicholas Dube
GA - ME '07

Do you have a mission statement yet?

doobe01
04-05-2006, 17:23
Do you have a mission statement yet?

I am not good at writing or anything like that. I am a tech/computer guy. Thats why I posted here. I have been lurking around here for a month or more and decided I want to help my fellow thru/section/weekend/week/day hikers of the AT out. Any ideas?

Just Jeff
04-05-2006, 17:32
Like this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_trail

hikerjohnd
04-05-2006, 17:36
Did WB try a wiki site at one point? I vaguely recall us trying to work with one once...

doobe01
04-05-2006, 17:40
Like this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_trail

What you see is what you get though. There is so much more information regarding the AT and the act of hiking it. So much more then just on measly summary like that link. If you guys didnt do well with it before I am a computer guru and if I can get the info I can create the Appalchian Trailapedia. It is on of the easiest ways to keep information in an easy to navigate, search, and organized way. It would be great for anyone interested in hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Skidsteer
04-05-2006, 17:48
I am not good at writing or anything like that. I am a tech/computer guy. Thats why I posted here. I have been lurking around here for a month or more and decided I want to help my fellow thru/section/weekend/week/day hikers of the AT out. Any ideas?

Many here, including me(grins modestly), could do a passing fair job of it.

It would help if you shared a bit more of what you envision the site will eventually become.

Some quick brainstorming:

-Geared only towards past and aspiring thru's...or useful and inclusive for all( section-hikers, weekend warriors, etc. )?

-Will it be Whitebaze II?( nothing wrong with a little competition )

-Any plans for Trail journaling?

-Photo categories?

-Highly moderated or anything short of being arrested goes?

These are just a few questions that come to mind. I suspect others will chime in with some doozies as well.:)

doobe01
04-05-2006, 18:00
Many here, including me(grins modestly), could do a passing fair job of it.

It would help if you shared a bit more of what you envision the site will eventually become.

Some quick brainstorming:

-Geared only towards past and aspiring thru's...or useful and inclusive for all( section-hikers, weekend warriors, etc. )?

-Will it be Whitebaze II?( nothing wrong with a little competition )

-Any plans for Trail journaling?

-Photo categories?

-Highly moderated or anything short of being arrested goes?

These are just a few questions that come to mind. I suspect others will chime in with some doozies as well.:)

I would like the site to be geared toward aspiring thru but can be great information for any type of hiker on the AT. WhiteBlaze 2...maybe...I want to build it for the people :D. Trail Journaling...might be an option. I will defenetly have a photo directory. I do not want it to be policed heavily at all. I want it to be an open forum with not a lot of administration. I have a forum up and running(phpBB - its FREE). I am just looking for possibilities of what the site can become. I have no definite plans, I want it to evolve into what the majority would like out of it. I am willing to do anything. Keep me busy and not get to anxious about doing my own thru-hike!!!

Whistler
04-05-2006, 22:37
That's a great idea. There's potential there to be The Great AT Info Aggregator.
-Mark

ToeJam
04-06-2006, 08:17
I like it! I agree, WB is the best but this is kind of like apples and oranges? I woud love to help if I can - just a learning section hiker here til all 6 kids grow up and leave the house and we can do our thru, but I am an avid reader and would contribute what I could.

That is, in a few weeks hehe - we are leaving for a 300 mile section thru the Smokies a week from today and I have a bit of preparig to do for both the hike and stashing of said children lol.

I am fairly good at image/design stuff - just send me a pm with your info or I will keep checking here to see how you are coming. Seems like a promising idea but hard to tell how exactly it will all come together ya know?