PDA

View Full Version : red river ky gorgeous!

kyhipo
04-05-2006, 18:00
went to the gorge to hike around! and fell in love!not real hard hiking but challenging enough,must see for folks who have a week to kill:banana :banana :banana ky

Cookerhiker
04-05-2006, 20:49
And the Sierra Club has a service trip scheduled there for October.

Jeff
04-06-2006, 07:09
How are the southern Pines at Red River? The beatle really made for some awful blowdowns & dangerous tent camping at Big South Fork.

otterman
04-06-2006, 07:35
went to the gorge to hike around! and fell in love!not real hard hiking but challenging enough,must see for folks who have a week to kill:banana :banana :banana ky

The Red River Gorge has been used and abused. People camping on top of the arches. People scorching the arches with fire. Graffiti etched in the rocks. Yes, please go but please respect the place.

bulldog49
04-06-2006, 09:15
The Red River Gorge has been used and abused. People camping on top of the arches. People scorching the arches with fire. Graffiti etched in the rocks. Yes, please go but please respect the place.

True. I went there a couple times but it was always very crowded, often with folks with little appreciation for outdoor etiquette. I was camped one time, a ways off trail, and day-hikers came walking right thru as if I was part of the trail, with an unleashed dog that pissed on my pack. Not the best place to go for peace and quiet.

kyhipo
04-06-2006, 09:27
It is a popular place but you make it sound like a bad place,the sheltowee trace trail goes thru it and has some very nice hiking,I have hiked most of the AT several times and the pct in some large sections and you will not see things in the gorge like you see anywhere!and as far as peoples lack of respect for hikers thats everywhere most of all on the AT with your weekend warriors,ky

John B
04-06-2006, 10:56
I don't care for it much, either. Too many teens with too much beer and time on their hands. I've found it better to hike there in the dead of winter or on days when it's pouring rain.

That said, if you'd like to help make it a better place, volunteer trail maintenance (under the supervision of a US forest ranger) is done on the second Saturday of every month. This Saturday, April 8, we'll be clearing sections of the Rough trail. Meet at Grey's Arch parking lot, off Tunnel Ridge Road, at 9a.m. The ranger, Charlie Rowe, provides all necessary equipment.

If you'd like more info or maps on how to get there, go to www.gorgecrew.com (http://www.gorgecrew.com).

I try to go as often as I can, and it's not a bad way to spend one Saturday a month with nice people who are trying to help, even though it often feels like trying to stem the tide.

hammock engineer
04-06-2006, 12:07
A lot of people I know in Cincy make the trip down there. I haven't yet. I heard that there are parts where you can get away from the crowds.

otterman
04-06-2006, 13:39
It is a popular place but you make it sound like a bad place,the sheltowee trace trail goes thru it and has some very nice hiking,I have hiked most of the AT several times and the pct in some large sections and you will not see things in the gorge like you see anywhere!and as far as peoples lack of respect for hikers thats everywhere most of all on the AT with your weekend warriors,ky

It truly is a beautiful place. That is the problem. It breaks my heart to see partiers destroying such beauty. There is a regulation that you have to camp at least three hundred feet from any arch, but people can't seem to resist the temptation. I once walked by one "camp" on Chimney Rock and counted over four cases of beer and four whiskey bottles strewn along the path. There were also five passed our people. I then went to Princess Arch only to find a scorch mark about six feet by eight feet on the side of the arch.

Thanks John B for letting me know about the work crews. I'll try to make it down for that.

Pennsylvania Rose
04-10-2006, 13:06
I used to go to the gorge all the time, but haven't been there in 3 or 4 years. It's an awesome place, but is being loved to death. I was thrilled to hear about the trail crew last year, but have yet to volunteer because of schedule conflicts. Do any of you find parts of the gorge creepy (like someone is always watching you)?

Mr. Obvious
04-20-2006, 01:56
Was out yesterday... Took the day off.. Hiked down to grey's arch.. Drove backroads from richmond (go colonels) to slade... The spring colors were out.. Beautiful trials.. Nobody was out...

I agree, the place is being loved to death.. What is it with Mammoth Cave,the neighboring Smokey Mtn's, and the Gorge being overused?..

Creepy?... I've had two runs in with gun toting people.. The last time, two people one with a gun, stood and chatted for nearly 45 mintues within sight of our camp.. ? .. One man told us to "watch out for the bears"..

Honestly i've been backpacking for several years... 8 years or so , not that long, but enough.. I've never seen more than a couple deer hiking/backpacking what i have in that time period..that's a good intention of how many people are heading there, and the people camping in the caves...
I'm i think the eatern pine beatle has hit the area ... Plenty of sections down to grey's arch have been hit...

Mr. Obvious..

Check out the stars at white rocks,Cumberland Gap National ......

kyhipo
04-20-2006, 09:55
yes I guess its the gorge part for me!even in kings canyon I felt like someone was always watching and you know what maybe their was:rolleyes: ky

TOW
04-20-2006, 10:11
I know S-Tree Tower is an awesome place, the last time I was over there I had a great time....

Ewker
11-21-2006, 13:40
I was up in RRG the first of Nov. We went in at Martin's Fork and hiked the Rough Trail. We camped the 1st night just a quarter mile in from the road. Lots of places to camp along the trail. The next day we hiked about 6 miles to a trail leading out to Hanson's Point. Great views from there. We finally intersected the Sheltowee Trail and followed it up to where we had our cars parked for a shuttle. It was a nice weekend to be out. There still was some colors left.
if you have never been it is a good place to go
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555393304CpofTq

Cookerhiker
11-14-2009, 17:06
Just returned from a short (5-6 mile) hike in the Red River Gorge on an absolutely beautiful November day. The 40-degree temperature when I started at 9 rose to the low 70s this afternoon.

It's not normally my choice to hike on a Saturday but this week's activities didn't allow any other day. So it wasn't exactly uncrowded but not intrusively wall-to-wall people either. Views were great with the highlight being Gray's Arch. I still can't get over seeing arches in the deciduous forests of the East; don't they belong out West?;)

Other than sore knees from neglecting to bring my poles, the hike was enjoyable. If you're within 100 miles of RRG and haven't seen it yet, put it on your list!

mrhughes1982
11-15-2009, 14:16

Totally agree.. I grew up hiking there but got disgusted by seeing trash all over the place where people go there and bring coolers of beer to party and don't pack anything out. Sky Bridge is the most carved on rock you'll probably ever see. :(

I just recently moved down to southeastern Kentucky and I'm doing all my hiking in Big South Fork. For the last few months I have not ran into anyone, hardly any trash, maybe a beer can off the side of a road or close to a short arch. It's pristine, wide open and has a lot that the RRG has to offer, just no idiots.