PDA

View Full Version : Alabama’s Pinhoti Trail could get boost from state, federal team-up

Slugg
08-03-2023, 11:39
https://www.al.com/life/2023/08/alabamas-pinhoti-trail-could-get-boost-from-state-federal-team-up.html

Sounds like a positive thing, no mention of the (largely unpopular) “AT2AL” movement and potentially could move the trail closer to National Scenic Trail designation.

Interesting comment at the end, potentially more shelters. Not sure that’s warranted really, there are plenty already and I thought we now know that shelters cause more overall impact than dispersed camping.
Blankenship said the master plan “has a good roadmap of the things that need to be done in the Pinhoti.” He said that includes “More shelters, better signage, getting some of the roadwalk out of the Pinhoti, get it off the road and into the woods in a couple of places where it’s on the road.”

bamadog
08-03-2023, 12:14
That is great news!

xMagnolia
08-03-2023, 15:50
I think there is only one shelter in Ga? That is also where the majority of the road walk still exists.

Charlotte

gpburdelljr
08-03-2023, 16:16
I think there is only one shelter in Ga? That is also where the majority of the road walk still exists.

Charlotte

According to the article:

“…The board will “provide collaborative leadership in developing, restoring, and maintaining the Alabama section of the Pinhoti National Recreation Trail [as] a sustainable outdoor recreation resource.”….”

xMagnolia
08-03-2023, 16:24
According to the article:

“…The board will “provide collaborative leadership in developing, restoring, and maintaining the Alabama section of the Pinhoti National Recreation Trail [as] a sustainable outdoor recreation resource.”….”

I realized that the article focused on AL after I had typed my reply. I'm glad they're putting money, time and effort in to the trail. It's beautiful and there is growing support in AL in towns near the trail

Charlotte

Slugg
08-04-2023, 10:37
While this is positive news for AL, you all do raise a valid point about the stark contrast in the GA/AL sections of the trail. They are almost treated like two different trails by the organizations that support the Pinhoti and hikers alike. The AL section gets much more love and attention overall, a federal/state teamup like this would really be more beneficial in GA.

No Match
08-05-2023, 07:25
While this is positive news for AL, you all do raise a valid point about the stark contrast in the GA/AL sections of the trail. They are almost treated like two different trails by the organizations that support the Pinhoti and hikers alike. The AL section gets much more love and attention overall, a federal/state teamup like this would really be more beneficial in GA.

Keeping it simple, I can only speak for the GA section and it sucks. I really don't care to go back on it till some changes are made, so I'm 'hearing' welcome news. Too much road walking on very busy roads, long water hauls, no established campsites/shelters, and too many very bad dog owners. I am now packing a pistol for the dogs, yet to need it, but got it when it happens again-and it will happen again.