PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Blackflies?

mindlessmariachi
04-05-2006, 19:23
Hi
I'm planning to hike north from Rt 4 in Vermont (the Long Trail Inn) on the Long Trail starting around May 20. I've never been there in that time of year; can anyone tell me what the blackfly situation will be like?

thanks!
mariachi

neighbor dave
04-05-2006, 19:32
:-? i'm pretty sure mud season doesn't end till may 31. they ask that you stay off the trails till then. :confused:

neighbor dave
04-05-2006, 19:35
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=45

:confused:

Phreak
04-05-2006, 21:37
I recently shuttled a couple from Vermont to start their AT thru-hike and asked them about the Long Trail. I was planning on hiking it the first part of June and they said the black flies are ridiculous during this time. I trust their judgement and rescheduled my hike for this fall... it'll be nice to hike with the fall colors.

neo
04-05-2006, 23:17
how are black flies in easly september:cool: neo

Jeff
04-06-2006, 07:06
Black flies vary season to season. I hiked all of VT last year starting June 1st. Had NO black flies at all. Mosquitos were a problem around Stratton Pond. Otherwise, it was great hiking weather!!

Blue Jay
04-06-2006, 12:27
Black flies vary season to season. I hiked all of VT last year starting June 1st. Had NO black flies at all. Mosquitos were a problem around Stratton Pond. Otherwise, it was great hiking weather!!

This is exactly correct. You might not feel one or they might tear you up. Black Flies are very evil and they do not keep schedules.

Chef2000
04-06-2006, 16:04
The last time I hiked the LT was last week of June thru last week of July. There were people being eaten alive by these bugs, while I was not. I use REI 100 % deet, once a day. Bugs on the LT north of Brandon GAp, once you get into the 4000 footers, dont seem to be that bad.

neo
04-06-2006, 18:26
The last time I hiked the LT was last week of June thru last week of July. There were people being eaten alive by these bugs, while I was not. I use REI 100 % deet, once a day. Bugs on the LT north of Brandon GAp, once you get into the 4000 footers, dont seem to be that bad.

100% deet is the way to go,very potent and very compact:cool: neo

ripper
04-06-2006, 21:03
If possible you might want to consider mid-september as the flies and the congestion are long gone. The weather during the fall is perfect for hiking. The shelters will be quite roomy and one can have an enjoyable hike without all the hassles, just something to consider, otherwise be sure to bring along some deet just in case cuz May can bring the swarms.

oruoja
04-07-2006, 11:39
As mentioned earlier the black fly situation varies year to year. I have been out on the trail several years during May and June without a problem and other years they have been a problem well into late July. This year has been very wet and warm so the mud should be interesting and I assume a bumper crop of bugs will also. Gypsy Moths are expected to be a problem more so than last year in southern and central VT. Back in '81 the section from Rte 4 up Middlebury Gap was almost totally defoliated as I was heading through. It was unbelievable as they covered the inside ad outside of shelters.

LostInSpace
04-07-2006, 14:14
Sawyers makes a broad spectrum insect repellant (not DEET) that supposedly works against black flies. Has anyone ever tried it?

Tin Man
04-08-2006, 08:28
I section hiked VT the first week of October over the past 3 years. There are no bugs and no crowds; it is not too cold or too warm; there is just the beauty of the fall.