PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hiker death reported

jlb2012
04-05-2006, 19:34
from "Mudflap & Daisy"'s 2006 Appalachian Trail Journal

Sunday, April 02, 2006
Destination: Tricorner Knob Shelter

" SAD NEWS

We found out this morning via a trail register that fellow thru-hiker Phoenix passed away at Mt.Collins shelter a couple of days ago. We are shocked and saddened by this news. We only met him a couple of times, once at the trail magic site with Gatorade and Fishin' Fred and another time on the trail. He was an older guy, but a very strong hiker, with grey hair and beard out for his third thru-hike. Last we saw him, he was leading a pack of 20 year olds up the trail on the way to Franklin. Our sympathy goes out to his family. "
--------------------

If anyone knows anything more about this please respectfully share the information.

neighbor dave
04-05-2006, 19:42
R.I.P. pheonix

chickety knows someone who's hiking the trail this year who woke up next to him.
i'm wondering, is this the same pheonix who was hiking last year but had to take a break due to an injury near erwin?? he was middle aged wearing a kilt,and doing alot of magic till he got better??

MacGyver2005
04-05-2006, 20:10
R.I.P. pheonix

chickety knows someone who's hiking the trail this year who woke up next to him.
i'm wondering, is this the same pheonix who was hiking last year but had to take a break due to an injury near erwin?? he was middle aged wearing a kilt,and doing alot of magic till he got better??

If it's the same Pheonix you have truly broken my heart. Although that Pheonix is not a 3-time Thru-Hiker; last year was his first attempt. He was a real estate agent from Arizona.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

joel137
04-05-2006, 20:18
Any news as to the cause?

mindlessmariachi
04-05-2006, 20:37
so this wasn't the phoenix who thru-hiked in 02?

weary
04-05-2006, 20:41
All deaths are sad. But some of us who are well past the traditional "three score and ten" and who can read obituaries, sort of hope for sudden deaths, not prolonged deaths.

Dick Brown, a former chair of the Maine Chapter AMC and an active volunteer who helped recover 400,000 acres of public land in Maine, and who was a long term volunteer for MATC, died a few winters ago cross country skiing.

I increasingly envy him as I struggle with mal-practice-induced fibrosis of the lungs, and probably related diabetes and cataracts. I suspect few wise old folks lament the possibility of sudden exists from this earth -- especially those of us who have watched inlaws, parents and neighbors struggle with mental deterioration, blindness and prolonged deaths.

Anyway, if I can get my lungs to approve, my plan is to climb Katahdin at least once more this summer or fall -- and hope for the best -- whatever that may prove to be.

Weary

Cookerhiker
04-05-2006, 20:46
Anyway, if I can get my lungs to approve, my plan is to climb Katahdin at least once more this summer or fall -- and hope for the best -- whatever that may prove to be.

Weary

And I hope and pray that you can!

DawnTreader
04-05-2006, 21:48
Rip Phoenix...

We are ALL pulling for you Weary. My thoughts and prayers..

hikerjohnd
04-05-2006, 21:53
R.I.P. pheonix

I am sorry to hear this tragic news. At least he was doing something he loved... I assume it isn't the Phoenix you mention above - we spent time together in Erwin and Damascus last year.

Tin Man
04-05-2006, 22:22
There is never a good time to go, but there is a lot to be said about going when you are doing what you love and dieing with your boots on.

Weary, hang in there man, you have a lot of friends pulling for you.

roxy33x
04-06-2006, 00:13
There is never a good time to go, but there is a lot to be said about going when you are doing what you love and dieing with your boots on.

Weary, hang in there man, you have a lot of friends pulling for you.

Amen and well said :o

Local
04-06-2006, 00:15
Several of you have spoken of Phoenix, who had to get off the trail last year due to injuries. His name is Curtis Hall and he works in real estate in Phoenix. He wore a kilt a lot, was a stocky guy, very friendly. It is unclear from my reading of this thread that the Phoenix who died is the same person. The Phoenix I knew was not a three-time thruhiker.

I've phoned Curtis and left a message, and also e-mailed him. He and I corresponded last year after he stopped by Damascus, where he would usually stay at the Hikers Inn.

Hopefully I will hear from him and will post any information I have here.

Jaybird
04-06-2006, 06:49
Several of you have spoken of Phoenix, who had to get off the trail last year due to injuries. His name is Curtis Hall and he works in real estate in Phoenix. He wore a kilt a lot, was a stocky guy, very friendly. It is unclear from my reading of this thread that the Phoenix who died is the same person. The Phoenix I knew was not a three-time thruhiker.
I've phoned Curtis and left a message, and also e-mailed him. He and I corresponded last year after he stopped by Damascus, where he would usually stay at the Hikers Inn.
Hopefully I will hear from him and will post any information I have here.

LOCAL:

PLEASE let us folks here @ WHITEBLAZE know when/if you hear from CURTIS/"PHOENIX"...

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7874&catid=member&imageuser=656

"Phoenix" gave me a shuttled from Erwin to Hot Springs & ate lunch with "the Model T crew" before we headed out on our section-hike. At that time he was helping out Miss Janet with shuttles, etc., while he was recuperating from his injuries...

crutch
04-06-2006, 07:21
There was a man named "Phoenix" that passed by me when I was doing trail magic at Rock Gap on 3/21/06. His name is Paul Nix and he is from Huntington,TN. Judging from the location that the man in question was found it's quite possible that it is the same man. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Newb
04-06-2006, 11:52
From Huntington Tennessee:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:nBmgA5IIWgsJ:news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm%3Fpnpid%3D343%26show%3Dnewscast%2 6CategoryID%3D133%26om%3D2+%22Paul+Nix+%22+appalac hian+trail&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Newb
04-06-2006, 12:04
A better link to the article

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=archivedetails&pnpid=343&om=1&ArchiveID=1172466&requesttimeout=100

hikerjohnd
04-06-2006, 12:09
From Huntington Tennessee:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:nBmgA5IIWgsJ:news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm%3Fpnpid%3D343%26show%3Dnewscast%2 6CategoryID%3D133%26om%3D2+%22Paul+Nix+%22+appalac hian+trail&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Is there a link to the rest of the story? I keep getting a dead end...

Local
04-06-2006, 12:19
The "other" Phoenix, Curtis Hall, who works with RE/MAX Anasazi Realty in Tempe, is being paged as I write this. For those who remember him his website is www.curtishall.com, with basic contact information. The secretary I spoke with had talked to him earlier this morning (it's just after nine a.m. in Arizona).

Tin Man
04-06-2006, 12:28
The "other" Phoenix, Curtis Hall, who works with RE/MAX Anasazi Realty in Tempe, is being paged as I write this. For those who remember him his website is www.curtishall.com, with basic contact information. The secretary I spoke with had talked to him earlier this morning (it's just after nine a.m. in Arizona).

Then maybe this is not the Phoenix who died. :-?

icemanat95
04-06-2006, 12:48
Looks like it is Paul Nix.

Local
04-06-2006, 12:49
Tin Man, I've spoken again with the Tempe office, and they are trying to track Phoenix (Curtis) down. So it must be Paul Nix, who also used the trail name of Phoenix.

The article referred to earlier about Paul can be reached through this url also: http://tinyurl.com/j9o5j

Paul Nix sounds like an incredible person. He was about my age. It was too early for him to go, but he went out doing what he loved.

terrapin05
04-06-2006, 12:52
Cutrrtis hall A.K.A Phoenix,didnt plan to start a section hike till next week...and it wasnt there...I just tried contacting him Ill post later to let yall know....R.I.P. to the soul who went happily in his sleeping bag!!

Local
04-06-2006, 12:56
Just got this from Curtis, the kilt-wearing hiker called Phoenix who walked in a cast for numerous miles, and who seemed to make friends wherever he went:

Richard: April 6, 2006 6:47 AM (Hilo, HI.)

Doing fine Richard - MOST appreciative of your concern - dear friends are hard to find.

Will be back in Phoenix on Sunday.

Anxious to hear the story.

Best to Suzanne!

Curtis

Newb
04-06-2006, 13:42
From now on that should be called the Paul Nix shelter.

tiamalle
04-06-2006, 21:09
From now on that should be called the Paul Nix shelter.Mr.Nix had signed our register book as a guest at Sapphire Inn in
Franklin and was our guest for 2 days there.Our whole staff and family are
so sorry,Ron Haven

solace
04-06-2006, 22:51
I chatted with Phoenix jsut last week in Franklin... "Death" perhaps is indeed the worst news... but perhaps.. jsut perhaps, where he passed, was where he wanted.. where his soul could rest. No doubt he touched alot of lives.. and in return, the trail & the trail "family" touched his....
~ Godspeed to his spirit.... I'm sure it will softly blow through the AT for quite some time.. if not forever ~
Reverant Cheers, a saddned SOLACE

Curtis Hall
04-06-2006, 23:23
I am Curtis Hall, the "Phoenix" that hiked the AT in '05. I am writing this from Honolulu, HI. and have been a little out of touch the past two (2) weeks.

I heard from Rainman and Richard (in Damascus) today that a fellow hike who adopted the Trail Name "Phoenix" and is hiking the Trail this year has passed away. I simply couldn't be more sad for his family and friends. I have not meet the gentleman but from all accounts I've read, he has left a lasting impression.

Although there is NO joy in this situation, I can only hope that the "Phoenix" we are all reading about is showered with the same thoughts of love and friendship I have read above in regards to people's thoughts in believing that the "Phoenix" is me. I am truly touched with the comments I've read. It's like reading your own obituary in advance of your passing - very strange.

Although much appreicative, my thoughts and prayers however will be with the family and friends of this year's "Phoenix". How tragic. Safe passage Phoenix.

Curtis Hall
"Phoenix - 2005)

Ewker
04-07-2006, 09:47
just curious it this has been confirmed. I talked to some locals(live in Knoxville area) who have heard nothing about it. You would think this would make the local news in the area.
I did see where sandman talked about being in Mt Collins shelter with Phoenix on March 30th. Then his next journal (March 31) was he had to leave the trail unexpectedly but no mention why.

oruoja
04-07-2006, 11:52
I am very saddened to hear of this loss. Back in '02 when I was doing a thru on the VT Long Trail with my sons we had the pleasure to spend the night with Phoenix at Spruce Peak shelter. He was quite the individual who left a lasting impression on us. Just a few a few days ago I in fact thought of him and recalled some of our conversations from that night almost four years ago which now with this news seems chilling. Goodbye to a fellow US veteran and hiker, rest in peace.

jlb2012
04-07-2006, 12:08
just curious it this has been confirmed. I talked to some locals(live in Knoxville area) who have heard nothing about it. You would think this would make the local news in the area.
I did see where sandman talked about being in Mt Collins shelter with Phoenix on March 30th. Then his next journal (March 31) was he had to leave the trail unexpectedly but no mention why.

I also am concerned about the confirmation of this report - so far I have not seen anything "official". I have sent an email to sandman using the email address from this forum - hopefully the message will get through and he will be able to clear things up.

Ewker
04-07-2006, 12:14
Hey HOI, I talked to Smokygirl about it. This is what she sent me back "

I called the backcountry office and got a stiff reply that they are not to give out any information and didn't confirm or deny. I thought this was weird, but they were annoyed at this comment saying that if the family doesn't want it public, then its not weird. He told me to call the local press. I checked Knoxnews and the Daily Press in Maryville - absolutely not a peep about this.

I find this strange, but maybe they are investigating or something before they tell the public? I don't understand the hush-hush as the community that Paul Nix is a part of is concerned?

Hopefully sandman will be in touch with you

RockyTrail
04-07-2006, 12:47
Re-reading the above posts, the only source of information about this so far is what someone wrote in their trail journal about what they read in a trail register.

I hope it isn't true, but last year on Trailjournals someone staged an elaborate email/internet scheme that indicated a hiker had died from a drive-by shooting. When the hiker finally logged on again after a vacation, boy was he ticked.

jlb2012
04-07-2006, 12:56
I wish the weekly that published the write up on Paul Nix mentioned above had some sort of a Contact Us info - the reporter John Latham might know what is happening.

lilmountaingirl
04-07-2006, 12:58
Very sad news.

jlb2012
04-07-2006, 13:00
I agree RockyTrail - it is a possibility that I had considered when I passed on the info. I am not feeling good about this at all and I hope it is only a hoax instead of the other possibilities.

jlb2012
04-07-2006, 13:10
I see in the thread http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14223 that CaptChaos also heard about the death of a backpacker at Mt Collins in his recent hike in the GSMNP.

hikerjohnd
04-07-2006, 15:10
Perhaps the ATC knows something?

KirkMcquest
04-07-2006, 22:23
All deaths are sad. But some of us who are well past the traditional "three score and ten" and who can read obituaries, sort of hope for sudden deaths, not prolonged deaths.

Dick Brown, a former chair of the Maine Chapter AMC and an active volunteer who helped recover 400,000 acres of public land in Maine, and who was a long term volunteer for MATC, died a few winters ago cross country skiing.

I increasingly envy him as I struggle with mal-practice-induced fibrosis of the lungs, and probably related diabetes and cataracts. I suspect few wise old folks lament the possibility of sudden exists from this earth -- especially those of us who have watched inlaws, parents and neighbors struggle with mental deterioration, blindness and prolonged deaths.

Weary

Yeah, I'd definitely prefer to go quick, while doing the thing I love most. Seen too many hospital bed deaths. Pheonix went out the right way, at least.

tiamalle
04-08-2006, 02:12
Yeah, I'd definitely prefer to go quick, while doing the thing I love most. Seen too many hospital bed deaths. Pheonix went out the right way, at least.Kirk: you are right.The one I loved better than anything else on this earth.My mother I saw day by day suffer and die with cancer and words won't describe the pain I and my family suffered. Many others has had this experience.For Pheonix"I'm sad for his family"also
meeting him was great.This man obiously went the right way.I hope to meet you some day my friend,Take Care.Ron Haven
:sun :sun :sun

Travel_Girl82
04-08-2006, 02:12
While reading these posts, I do hope that Pheonix's death is found to be due to natural causes, and my thoughts of well being go out to his family. But for someone who obviously loved the trail, what a place to take your final breath.

Just Jeff
04-08-2006, 10:29
I had a grandmother waste away in a nursing home. Sad as losing her was, it was almost a relief when she finally passed because she wasn't suffering any more. Kind of an odd extreme of emotions to feel at the same time. My other grandmother went suddenly with a heart attack - that seems like a better way.

Seems Phoenix went in his sleep doing what he loved - that's the best way I can think of. I've already told my wife that if I start getting too feeble to do the things I enjoy, I'm walking into the woods and not coming back. I don't want to go through what my grandmother did, and I want to do what I can to keep my family from watching it.

If it was his time, Phoenix did it right.

jlb2012
04-08-2006, 14:23
from cottonsox over on TT :

"A TN man hiking the A.T. with 3 companions dies in his sleep of natural causes. According to park spokeswoman Nancy Gray, the man and his companions stayed the night 3/30/06 in the Mount Collins shelter just off the AT. His companions said the man was in good health when he went to sleep but when they tried to awaken him the morning of 3/31, he was unresponsive. A team of park rangers conducted an investigation, then carried the body to Clingmans Dome Road where an ambulance transported him to Ft. Sanders in Sevierville. The sevier County medical examiner determined his death was due to natural causes."

from a local newspaper - The Mountain Press

Hana_Hanger
04-08-2006, 16:13
Thank you Hog on Ice
It looks like we finally have an answer.
Sad news still for his family and friends, but I bet they are so relieved he did not suffer for months or years in a nursing home.
May we all get to go as peacefully as that.

Programbo
04-08-2006, 19:07
I`m still curious as to the cause of death..."Natural causes" in someone so young and in such good health just doesn`t quite answer the question...I think if one has to go unexpectedly this would be the way most of us would wish to go..Peacefully in our sleep in an Appalachian Trail shelter....We had a gentleman die on a local trail around here recently of a heart attack...I know this isn`t something most young people think about but I encourage everyone to write a will and update it as time goes by as one never knows...I survived a massive heart attack back in 2004 and once I was out of the hospital I thought of how horrible it would have been if I had not made it as none of my online friends would have known what had happened to me..I would have simply vanished...So I put in my will everyones e-mail address to inform if something should happen and a pre-written letter to send to them.

starvingmusician
04-10-2006, 12:31
From the trail journal of Cindy (Centipede) who mentions Phoenix...

March 27 -- "Started hiking with Phoenix. Great guy... an ex-Navy Seal. He's on his 3rd thru-hike. He's 65 yrs. old and he kicks my ass on this hiking thing." (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=130027)

March 28 -- "A very sad day on the trail today. My hiking buddy Phoenix passed away in his sleep at the Mt. Collins shelter. He will be missed. I was very lucky to have some great people with me, who stayed with Phoenix while Beer:30, Goliath and I went to went to notify the park rangers. I am glad I had the opportunity to hike with Phoenix and listen to some of his great stories. Staying in Gatlinburg to just take some off days and refocus. Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. Miss you all. "
(http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=130041)

Judy

Mud Butt
04-10-2006, 12:53
FYI- Crutch said that some hikers are trying to start a movement to re-name the shelter where Phoenix died (Tri-knob) after him. I think that Wingfoot is checking on it.

bulldog49
04-10-2006, 14:07
FYI- Crutch said that some hikers are trying to start a movement to re-name the shelter where Phoenix died (Tri-knob) after him. I think that Wingfoot is checking on it.

All the reports say it was Mt Collins shelter, not Tri-Corner (no Tri-Knob shelter in the GSMNP).

max patch
04-10-2006, 16:02
Well, I don't know where the unfortunate incident took place, but I do know that there is a Tricorner Knob Shelter in the GSNP cuz I stayed there on my thru. Full jam packed shelter, and I still remember all the blowdowns in the area that we had to go over under around and thru.

Heater
04-10-2006, 17:42
From the trail journal of Cindy (Centipede) who mentions Phoenix...

March 27 -- "Started hiking with Phoenix. Great guy... an ex-Navy Seal. He's on his 3rd thru-hike. He's 65 yrs. old and he kicks my ass on this hiking thing." (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=130027)

March 28 -- "A very sad day on the trail today. My hiking buddy Phoenix passed away in his sleep at the Mt. Collins shelter. He will be missed. I was very lucky to have some great people with me, who stayed with Phoenix while Beer:30, Goliath and I went to went to notify the park rangers. I am glad I had the opportunity to hike with Phoenix and listen to some of his great stories. Staying in Gatlinburg to just take some off days and refocus. Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. Miss you all. "
(http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=130041)

Judy

Sounds like he was having a great time hiking and just decided to slip away in the night.

Whatta way to go. If only we could all be so lucky... :sun

Sly
04-11-2006, 00:14
With all due respect to Phoenix, I don't think they name shelters and mountains after people just because they happen to die there. A plaque, at the shelter, would probably be more fitting and easily managed.

frank713
04-11-2006, 05:32
Aloha,

My friend "Sleeper (from GA)" emailed me on April 3 this message:

"Got thru the Smokies in 5 1/2 days. Would've made it a little quicker but one of the hikers we were with died in a shelter overnite (? MI) He was a 3d time thru-hiker and was in really great shape at age 66. Sorry, can't give his name as I don't know if his NOK has been notified. Anyway, we made an unplanned stop in Gatlinburg, TN to go to a restaurant that he had talked and talked about and we hoisted a couple of brews in toast to our fellow hiker who died doing something he loved..."

Who ever he was sounds like he was a likeable guy and his spirit will always be with us on the AT.

A future Thru-hiker from Texas living in Hawaii!

Paco

Jack Tarlin
04-11-2006, 11:44
I stayed at Collins the night before last.

According to the Ridgerunner, Phoenix died peacefully in his sleep, most likely of heart failure during the night.

He died doing what he loved; may he rest in peace.

Gray Blazer
04-11-2006, 15:11
God Bless Nix and his Family. I am thinking I got a picture of him AT Tellico gap along with a pic of Mudflap and Daisy. Is it the guy who is standing by Wolf? I couldn't download the pic to this post. Not clever enough . It's in my photo Gallery. If it were me, that's where I would want to go. Anywhere along the trail in NC/TN.

RockyTrail
04-11-2006, 16:00
GB: It kinda looks like the guy in Post#15 but not sure..

Alligator
04-11-2006, 16:37
God Bless Nix and his Family. I am thinking I got a picture of him AT Tellico gap along with a pic of Mudflap and Daisy. Is it the guy who is standing by Wolf? I couldn't download the pic to this post. Not clever enough . It's in my photo Gallery. If it were me, that's where I would want to go. Anywhere along the trail in NC/TN.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10507&c=665&userid=6217

& from Post 15

My condolences to his family.

Gray Blazer
04-12-2006, 07:50
Alligator, You're awesome! One day I'll figure this thing out.

Gray Blazer
10-13-2006, 13:56
GB: It kinda looks like the guy in Post#15 but not sure..
Someone left me the message that this guy was Sandman and is still alive. The next time I do a trailfeed, I'll have a book where thrus can sign in.

Trillium
10-13-2006, 21:38
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10507&c=665&userid=6217
what Wolf is that in this photo? Lone Wolf or Wolf 23000 (or whatever the number was) or some other Wolf??

Disney
10-13-2006, 21:59
what Wolf is that in this photo? Lone Wolf or Wolf 23000 (or whatever the number was) or some other Wolf??

Definetely not Lone Wolf. No gigantic shaggy beard.

halftime
10-13-2006, 22:56
I also am concerned about the confirmation of this report - so far I have not seen anything "official". I have sent an email to sandman using the email address from this forum - hopefully the message will get through and he will be able to clear things up.

Sandman explains later in his journal. He waited several days before posting any information until his family could be notified. The journal entry is dated April 8.

Partial Entry Below:

"To all who knew him and those who wished they did...

I am updating with sad news which I delayed posting out of respect to the Nix family who lost a beloved member in Paul who passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on 3-30 at the Mt. Collins Shelter. "Phoenix" was spirited, caring and sharing. I knew him only briefly but he left a lasting imprint. He will be remembered as a good friend to all who crossed his path and shared this trail journey.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. "
-sandman