PDA

View Full Version : PT3 - Dalton, Ga to E Armuchee Rd

Gambit McCrae
10-09-2023, 09:20
Wow what a great section! Especially in the beginning of fall with the first cold front moving through.

After leaving Dalton sobo there is no road walking on this section. Water was absent first 12 miles of the trip.
Night hiked 9 miles Friday to a nice campsite.
18 miles or so Saturday to Johns Overlook, great place to camp but no water.
8 miles Sunday to E Armuchee Rd, parking is tight here

Gambit McCrae
10-09-2023, 10:58
Johns Overlook

Slugg
10-09-2023, 22:03
That stretch south of Dalton from Dug Gap to Snake Creek Creek Gap is the second best in GA imo outside the Cohutta part. I also enjoyed camping at John’s Overlook thought I set up in the woods not at the actual overlook.

Gambit McCrae
10-10-2023, 09:02
That stretch south of Dalton from Dug Gap to Snake Creek Creek Gap is the second best in GA imo outside the Cohutta part. I also enjoyed camping at John’s Overlook thought I set up in the woods not at the actual overlook.

Yes I was hesitant to setup next to the kiosk as it breaks one of my rules of "no camping next to roads" but it seems pretty desolate and no trash so I deemed it to be safe enough to try...We had no visitors

LittleRock
10-10-2023, 09:28
Night hiked 9 miles Friday to a nice campsite.
Wow! I think that's more night hiking than I've done in my entire life!

Gambit McCrae
10-16-2023, 08:47
Wow! I think that's more night hiking than I've done in my entire life!

Its more than I have done in quite some time but I think over my AT completion I probably night hiked 200 miles or so of the trail. Its a whole different experience than during the day :)