PDA

View Full Version : Between 2 tents...

mindi
04-05-2006, 22:02
I'm down to either the MSR Hubba or the Marmot EOS. I'd be interested in your opinions, I can't make up my mind!
:D Mindi

hikerjohnd
04-05-2006, 22:04
Can't speak from personal experience - but there sure were a ton of MSR's on the trail last year...

Floatero2
04-05-2006, 22:47
I bought the Hubba its a nice set up but it is kinda tight, I returned it and went with a golite hut one. you shouild check it out.

Hana_Hanger
04-05-2006, 23:03
I would go with which is more important to you...
MSR Hubba 7 feet 2 inches long and only 2 feet 2 inches wide
weighing in at 3 lbs 7 ozs and Interior Height 40 inches.
17 sq ft of floor space
All Mesh with One door with vestible 9.5 sq ft and packs to 6" x 20"

The Marmot EOS is 6 feet 10 inches and 3 feet 7 inches wide
weighing in at 3 lbs 5 ozs and Interior Height of 39 inches
20 sq feet of floor space
Partial Mesh with One door with vestible 6.5 sq ft and packs to 5.5" x 17.5"

Tough choice but go with WHAT is most important to you...lighter weight...or smaller pack size or wider tent or ? You get the picture.
I have read reviews saying the Marmot is smaller than stated and that if you are 6'1" you and your bag will be hitting the ends of the tent.

Chavens
04-05-2006, 23:10
I'm down to either the MSR Hubba or the Marmot EOS.

I bought the Hubba a few months ago and I love it. VERY breathable, since the top 3/4 is nothing but a fine mesh.

It's freestanding if you don't use the fly...and sets up very easily with only one pole. If you do decide to use the fly, it provides a lot of extra storage space with a vestibule.

One nice feature is that you can set up the fly by itself by using the pole, for a tarp-like shelter instead of using the entire tent.

The only downside of it is the somewhat limited amount of space inside it. Do not buy if you require a large amount of room to sleep. However, it is tall enough so that you can easily sit up in.

The price too, is a bit much for some people. At around $220, it's far from a bargain.

roxy33x
04-06-2006, 00:08
I prefer this one above all for a one person tent... check them out. The Hubba was too heavy

http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

mindi
04-06-2006, 00:14
Hmm...
I'm leaning towards the Marmot, because it's wider, and I don't like the coffin-feel of a very narrow tent.
I'm only 5', so the length shouldn't be a problem, even if it is a little shorter than listed. I'd just like to have enough room so I'm not inches from the sides of the tent and I can sit up to journal/read.
going to look at your other suggestions as well..thanks for the help, everyone!
:) Mindi

otterman
04-06-2006, 07:43
Try hiking if you're two tents. (too tense) Get it? Ha!

Peaks
04-06-2006, 08:20
Sounds like you have two good choices.

One thing that has not been mentioned: Have you tried both tents on? If not, go to your local outfitter, and set up each tent. Then, put your sleeping pad inside and your sleeping bag. And bring everything else inside that you want inside your tent with you at night. Now, crawl in and try to sit up, and see how everything fits.

hikerjohnd
04-06-2006, 08:57
Hmm...
I'm leaning towards the Marmot, because it's wider, and I don't like the coffin-feel of a very narrow tent.
I'm only 5', so the length shouldn't be a problem, even if it is a little shorter than listed. I'd just like to have enough room so I'm not inches from the sides of the tent and I can sit up to journal/read.
going to look at your other suggestions as well..thanks for the help, everyone!
:) Mindi

Sounds like you ave made up your mind... Now go get that tent and go camping!

Try hiking if you're two tents. (too tense) Get it? Ha!

Oooohhhhh - that's bad... very bad...

icemanat95
04-06-2006, 09:24
I'm a tall person, 6'2" and about 200 pounds. I was worried about feeling cramped in a smallish tent as well, so I started my thru-hike with a Sierra Designs Meteor Light 2-person, freestanding tent. I had plenty of room inside, and while I didn't really mind carrying the weight at first, it got old after a while. So I switched to a Walrus Swift. I went from a tent that carried at over 7 pounds to one that carried at 3 pounds 4 ounces. It was tight inside, but I shed 4 + pounds of pack weight in one fell swoop. I figured out how to get all my gear inside with me and to sleep comfortably. While getting dressed and undressed inside was a bit of a challenge, it was doable.

You live on your feet, you only sleep in your tent, and you get used to the tent for the short period of time you'll spend in it from day to day. So don't get all hung up on it. You'll adapt to your confines if necessary. So don't sweat the size of the tent that much. It's pretty surprising how little space you really need. When my kids pile into the bed at home in the middle of the night, I end up sleeping in about 18 inches of space (width wise).

Blissful
04-06-2006, 13:03
Go tarptent! :) JMO

maxNcathy
04-06-2006, 21:27
Did you check out Big Agnes seedhouse sL1? I bought a new one this year and think it is great.
Max

Mountain Man
04-06-2006, 22:11
Did you check out Big Agnes seedhouse sL1? I bought a new one this year and think it is great.
Max

I agree, I love mine it has enough room and light.

Mountain Mike
04-06-2006, 22:23
For the AT. Carry a tarp tent or bivy unless you are a couple.