PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with one of these...Pacific Outdoor Insul Mat?

mhussey
04-05-2006, 23:38
I am considering replacing my 2.2lb thermarest knock off with something with a little more thickness and comfort. I have compared the Big Agnes version and this Pacific pad and for the price/size/weight thought it cant be beat. I am looking for opinions and experiences, it will be with me throught my section hikes on the AT.

Shutterbug
04-06-2006, 01:14
I am considering replacing my 2.2lb thermarest knock off with something with a little more thickness and comfort. I have compared the Big Agnes version and this Pacific pad and for the price/size/weight thought it cant be beat. I am looking for opinions and experiences, it will be with me throught my section hikes on the AT.

I have used one for the past two seasons. It works well for me. I used it on the Wonderland Trail and on a section hike of the 100 Mile Wilderness.

MacGyver2005
04-06-2006, 07:36
I would rather carry a POE pad than a BA pad, but I am admittedly biased. The POE pad is cheaper and lighter. Of three BA pads my father and I have been through, all three sprung a leak along the seam that cannot be repaired. BA may have great customer service and do a great job of replacing faulty gear, but that means nothing to me when it is being replaced with more faulty gear. Again, I am biased.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

DrewNC2005
04-06-2006, 07:47
Both my wife and I have these pads (mummy version) and love them. They beat a thermarest any day. It is literally like sleeping on a bed - you just can't roll around as much.

Jaybird
04-06-2006, 07:54

i noticed you said you bought a "KNOCK-OFF" which got you 2.2lbs worth of weight in the ol' backpack....didnt save anything did you?

go for the "REAL THANG"...get a THERMAREST Z-LITE.
12 oz.-full size

i LOVE mine!...& i got it ON SALE....BONUS!!!:D

Rockjock
04-06-2006, 07:56
I have the womens mummy version and love it! It was half the price as a t-rest and just as comfortable . I have used it through all 3.5 seasons we have here in TN without any problems although I can't speak to the longevity of it since I have only had it about 1.5 years.

verber
04-06-2006, 17:38
My family has both, and has been happy with both. No leaking problems with either one. I think the BA is more comfortable due to the smaller (and larger number of) chambers. I sort of feel like I "fall" into the valleys between the channels in the PO pad.

--Mark

mhussey
04-06-2006, 19:25
Sounds great, looks like I'll go for it! As for buying the knock off, I already have a Thermarest Ridgerest foam pad and do not like it. The knock off I got from Cabelas for $0, couldnt beat it at the time but now I am upgrading to ultra light equipment when possible.

shoe
04-06-2006, 22:54
I actually just bought the Insul Mat Thermo Mummy today. But I have no experience with it yet. I laid on it while watching TV. It is very comfortable but no wiggle room or you might fall off. I am concerned about it since I am a wild sleeper at times but we will see.

DrewNC2005
04-07-2006, 08:51
For those of you who fall off pads, my brother suggested that I try putting my pad in my sleeping bag with me. Anybody tried that? Obviously, that's only possible if you have some room in your bag but I thought it might be worth the try. I have a WM Megalite with plenty of room inside so it shouldn't be an issue in my bag.

Mouse
04-07-2006, 09:27
I started my thruhike with the women's Insul Mat and liked it a lot, but in mid Virginia it literally rubbed a hole in itself near the valve. It was an awkward spot at a crease so rather than trying to fix it I replaced it at first with a very unsatisfactory Ridgerest and then the new lightweight ThermaRest. That did very well the rest of my hike. It is a bit heavier and slightly bulkier than the Insul Mat but no holes.

JoeHiker
04-07-2006, 14:42
I would rather carry a POE pad than a BA pad, but I am admittedly biased. The POE pad is cheaper and lighter. Of three BA pads my father and I have been through, all three sprung a leak along the seam that cannot be repaired. BA may have great customer service and do a great job of replacing faulty gear, but that means nothing to me when it is being replaced with more faulty gear. Again, I am biased.

How are you biased? Sounds to me like your preference is based on extensive personal experience. That's not bias, it's experience.

Ewker
10-30-2006, 17:11
on sale now at Steep and cheap

adh24
10-30-2006, 17:19
Just picke up two one for me and one for my wife. 52 bucks w/ shipping. Can't beat that. My wife has a PO short pad that hase the stays and straps built in for the camping chair. She's been pleased with it but rather would have the full length. Thinking of e-baying the short pad.

adh24
10-30-2006, 17:22
Got to thinking about the PO mummy pads. How do you users that have them who posted early use it. Do you put it inside your bag with you or do you lay on top. Just a curious thought:-?

Ewker
10-30-2006, 17:24
I lay on top. I used it this weekend with 22° night time temps. The pad never deflated due to the cold.

adh24
10-30-2006, 17:29
I lay on top. I used it this weekend with 22° night time temps. The pad never deflated due to the cold.

Does putting the pad inside your bag cause any problems with the loft. More specifically if it were a little wide than the bag. I can see it stretching the bag in the lateral direction and compressing the loft some? Or is this just me over thinking?:-?

Ewker
10-30-2006, 17:37
I have no idea how it would work inside your bag

Johnny Swank
10-30-2006, 18:02
I've got one. Prefer a closed cell foam pad for hiking, but that Pac Outdoor pad is pretty sweet for paddling trips. Taking it with my on Cape Fear in case the hammock thing doesn't work out.

SteveJ
10-30-2006, 18:26

these are back on sale at www.steepandcheap.com (http://www.steepandcheap.com) - were there last week, and I missed them - got mine now! $22.69 + $6.49 shipping - total under $30! whoo-hoo!

rswanson
10-30-2006, 18:48
I've asked this question before but didn't get a ton of answers. Is anyone else dissapointed with the R-value of the pad? I can feel the cold coming through the pad at temps above 30 degrees and I tend to sleep warm. The pad is comfortable to lie on, but the lack of insulation was a real bummer for me. I've wondered if my pad was defective in some way...

cannonball
10-30-2006, 19:11
I have tried everything under the sun over the years in search of the elusive comfortable sleeping pad. Last year I invested in a big agnes air core matress and will never use anything else.
21/2 inch thick insulated and very, very comfortable. folds down small and my "oversized "pad comes in around2lb and is worth carrying every ounce.

Ewker
10-30-2006, 20:19
I've asked this question before but didn't get a ton of answers. Is anyone else dissapointed with the R-value of the pad? I can feel the cold coming through the pad at temps above 30 degrees and I tend to sleep warm. The pad is comfortable to lie on, but the lack of insulation was a real bummer for me. I've wondered if my pad was defective in some way...

I used it in 22° temps this past weekend in Mt LeConte shelter. No problems with cold coming through the pad.

trlhiker
10-30-2006, 21:02
I also bought 2 of these at the last SAC sale. My wife and I tried them out this past weekend and neither my wife or I liked them. We will stick with our thermarests.

adh24
11-08-2006, 16:37
Was wondering the best way to store this kind of pad. I know with the self inflating it's best to keep inflated when storing so when in camp the inflate easily. This no being a self inflating is it OK to keep rolled up in the stuff sack provided or should I keep from folding and creasing. Just got mine in the mail this past Monday from S&C I must say they are grrrrrreat.

Just Jeff
11-08-2006, 16:40
Keeping it rolled up can still crush the insulation. I keep my Downmat partially inflated standing up behind a door to the down doesn't lose its loft.

adh24
11-09-2006, 09:07
Keeping it rolled up can still crush the insulation. I keep my Downmat partially inflated standing up behind a door to the down doesn't lose its loft.

Does it matter if it isn't down. The info for the mat says it's a synthetic