PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Soup

Leo L.
12-09-2023, 11:57
Everybody knows pumpkin soup?
We grow our own pumpkins, and love cooking it in various dishes. Pumpkin stew is one of the dried stuff I'm carrying on my hikes.
Now we tried to dry pumpkin soup, which worked just fine. BTW, this time we didn't use the electric dehydrator, but just put the stuff atop the central heating furnace.
Today we tried to rehydrate one of the pumpkin soup packages - and it was great!
Highly recommended.

JNI64
12-09-2023, 13:33
That sounds delicious:)
And really healthy eating, pumpkin is loaded with goodness it has vitamins A,b1,b2 ,C and more plus calcium, potassium, magnesium oh yeah that will keep you going up the trail!

JNI64
12-09-2023, 13:46
How do you prepare the seeds? I've had toasted pumpkin seeds they're really good. I imagine you could make a trail mix utilizing them?

perrymk
12-09-2023, 16:53
I've had barbequed pumpkin, it was awesome. We made a baste of olive oil and spices. I allow myself a treat of pumpkin ice cream once a year. It's a seasonal flavor at a local creamery.

Leo L.
12-10-2023, 04:52
How do you prepare the seeds? I've had toasted pumpkin seeds they're really good. I imagine you could make a trail mix utilizing them?

There are many different types of pumpkin, many of them especially for human food, and those have seeds with a hard shell you'd need to crack individually before eating. Not the best type for to use as a snack.
There are other types of pumpkin that have seeds with a thin paper-like shell, that are perfect to munch as a snack, but the meat of such pumpkin isn't good for humans to eat.
There are other types of pumpkin that are designed to press oil from the seeds, and the pumpkin seed oil is very worthy and said to be even healthier than the seeds.
An area not too far from our place is famous for its pumpkin seed oil and they offer many dishes with a spray of this black oil atop, they make even ice cream with pumpkin seed oil.
For us older guys: Pumkin seeds, and the oil, is said to be one of very few ways to keep the prostate from growing too big, if taken on a regular basis.

tiptoe
12-10-2023, 09:57
My favorite eating pumpkin is Long Pie (https://fedcoseeds.com/seeds/long-pie-organic-culinary-pumpkin-1723), which makes great pies, pumpkin bread, and soup. I've grown it for years, and it keeps well into the winter.

Mfturner
12-10-2023, 11:14
Did the dried soup process similar to a fruit leather? This is a great idea, thanks for letting us know it works. I’ll try it on a butternut squash soup that is similar.

zelph
12-10-2023, 13:16
Pumkin Soup Leather sounds like it could work.....somehow??http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/images/smilies/33.gif

Leo L.
12-10-2023, 15:09
The dehydrated pumpkin soup has kind of a crumbling consistency, far from leather.
Suppose you would need some kind of gluey stuff to the soup to give it some leathery apperance.

Mfturner
12-11-2023, 12:02
Crumbly, eh? Very interesting, I’ll try it and see how it comes out.

Thanks!

Leo L.
12-11-2023, 14:27
My wife just confessed that the dehydrated soup was exactly of leathery consistency, but she processed it in the kitchen machine to grind it down to a crumbly powder. Due to not have any sharp edges in the stuff that could pierce the plastic bag.

Mfturner
12-11-2023, 16:42
Cool! Thanks for the detail. A food processor post processing would make it rehydrate faster too I bet.

Leo L.
12-11-2023, 17:09
Yes, it'll rehydrate faster and is easier to stir in the bag while rehydrating.

zelph
12-11-2023, 19:00
My wife just confessed that the dehydrated soup was exactly of leathery consistency,

So there ya go....we need her recipe to have it be "leathery" please and thank youhttp://bushcraftusa.com/forum/images/smilies/dblthumb2.gif

zelph
12-11-2023, 19:03
I had the idea to melt marshmallows the way they do for rice crispy treats and add the dehydrated soup to make it leatheryhttps://whiteblaze.net/forum/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAIAAAAAAAP///yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7:cool:

JNI64
12-13-2023, 00:17
So there ya go....we need her recipe to have it be "leathery" please and thank youhttp://bushcraftusa.com/forum/images/smilies/dblthumb2.gif

Cue the jeopardy theme song .

zelph
12-13-2023, 21:47
Cue the jeopardy theme song .

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/images/smilies/dblthumb2.gif

Alligator
12-14-2023, 13:04
There are many different types of pumpkin, many of them especially for human food, and those have seeds with a hard shell you'd need to crack individually before eating. Not the best type for to use as a snack.
There are other types of pumpkin that have seeds with a thin paper-like shell, that are perfect to munch as a snack, but the meat of such pumpkin isn't good for humans to eat.
There are other types of pumpkin that are designed to press oil from the seeds, and the pumpkin seed oil is very worthy and said to be even healthier than the seeds.
An area not too far from our place is famous for its pumpkin seed oil and they offer many dishes with a spray of this black oil atop, they make even ice cream with pumpkin seed oil.
For us older guys: Pumkin seeds, and the oil, is said to be one of very few ways to keep the prostate from growing too big, if taken on a regular basis.
I think the word pumpkin is used more broadly outside the US. In the US, we also use the terms "squash" as well as "gourds" and more narrowly refer to pumpkins as the mostly orange kind that you can carve into a jack-o-lantern and make a pie out of. A pumpkin is a type of winter squash and there is also summer squash. All of these are curcubits from the family Curcubitaceae.

Or were you focusing solely on the stricter US nomenclature of orange pumpkins?

Leo L.
12-14-2023, 14:24
As a non-native speaker (writer) I must confess that I really miss many words and expressions, especially of American English.
Friends here are British expats and if I ask them about words from the forum here, many they dont know either.
Add in loads of bugs from the Autofill, and it ends up at my poor English.
Sorry for that, and thanks for any correction.

Yes, I used the word "pumpkin" for all those bulbous fruits we are growing here.

Mfturner
12-14-2023, 15:54
I agree that when I visited Graz, the word pumpkin was used more generically than I was used to, including most baking squashes (butternut, acorn), etc. They all are treated (and taste) similar in the kitchen.

Leo L.
12-20-2023, 05:41
I agree that when I visited Graz, the word pumpkin was used more generically than I was used to, including most baking squashes (butternut, acorn), etc. They all are treated (and taste) similar in the kitchen.
Welcome to our country!

As to the pumpkin soup leather, the more recently processed food, pumpkin soup and lentil soup, was more like shards, not leathery in any ways.
I think it would need some food engineer to produce exactly soup leather stuff.

Alligator
12-21-2023, 13:53
As a non-native speaker (writer) I must confess that I really miss many words and expressions, especially of American English.
Friends here are British expats and if I ask them about words from the forum here, many they dont know either.
Add in loads of bugs from the Autofill, and it ends up at my poor English.
Sorry for that, and thanks for any correction.

Yes, I used the word "pumpkin" for all those bulbous fruits we are growing here.I think you were fine using it that way, I was just clarifying some. I have had some surprise fruits growing on what I was expecting to be butternut squash and zucchini. Squash hybridize pretty easily and when I went looking for possible parents for my plants I started seeing that types of what we refer to as squash were being called pumpkins.

Leo L.
12-21-2023, 16:25
Years ago when we started growing pumpkins (or squashs) the next year there grew by itself a hybrid that looked like a zuccini and tasted like a pumpkin.

We stopped harvesting seeds for re-use, and would not have eaten any self-growing pumpkin any more because we were educated that some homes grow a sort of decoration-pumpkin thats poisonous and can carry the poison into a hybrid plant.

Leo L.
12-24-2023, 10:37
My favorite eating pumpkin is Long Pie (https://fedcoseeds.com/seeds/long-pie-organic-culinary-pumpkin-1723), which makes great pies, pumpkin bread, and soup. I've grown it for years, and it keeps well into the winter.

Santa was here and brought us something, straight from the USA:

tiptoe
12-24-2023, 15:24
Santa made a wise choice. Would love to hear next fall if they did well in Austria.

Mfturner
12-24-2023, 21:35
Yes, I bet they will do great.

I was in Graz for business, but it was a great trip, what I think of as beautiful “foothill” country before you get to the real mountains, with interesting history including the armory museum.