PDA

View Full Version : women's sleepwear

kyerger
04-06-2006, 07:00
My husband and I are first time through hikers and leaving June 4th. I would like to know what female hikers wear when sleeping. Do you wear anything special or just your hiking clothes? Thanks.

anneandbenhike
04-06-2006, 11:26
Depending on the season...I use a silk liner and wear whatever the season dictates, long johns, tights, fleece, or just a t-shirt and shorts. I usually keep a layer in the sleeping bag if I need to add one during the night. I stay warm as my hubby and I have a 45 degree quilt we use over top of us.

Red Hat
04-06-2006, 11:56
From March to end of April last year, I wore longjohns. In June I used a pair of shorts and tshirt. I use a clean pair (not the ones I hike in) so I am comfortable around camp.

Blissful
04-06-2006, 13:00
I'm going to try the Terramar silk top and bottoms for colder weather. I also have a pair of very lightweight microfleece I got a major dept store last year cheap that I've used for over thirty degrees. (here the store is Belk but it's like a Filene's, etc). I sleep cold anyway.

Sassafras
04-08-2006, 09:52
Lightweight capaline patagonia leggings and long sleeve top in spring and fall. Fresh capilene Tee and boxers in summer, and mid-heavy weight capilene tops and bottoms in winter. I also like a fresh pair of wool socks for the 3 cooler seasons.

Wear whatever you are comfortable in, just make sure it isn't cotton.

bigcranky
02-28-2011, 08:28
My wife (and I) have separate clothes to sleep in, rather than our hiking clothes -- which are generally wet and smelly and otherwise nasty. She almost always sleeps in light wool long john bottoms and a microfleece zip-tee. If it's really warm, she'll wear a t-shirt, but it has to be really warm.

P1nkPanther
03-01-2011, 10:16
Last year, my husband bought me a hot pink leopard print onsie - complete with feet - for my birthday. I was...puzzled. And not impressed with yet another gift in the "Oh she is a cat lover so here's something cat-related she will love it!" variety.

We also live in FL, so it is not exactly a much-needed item.

Flash forward to January this year. We did an overnight with expected lows under 40. While packing, I decided this monstrosity needed to be worn at least once.

Oh. My. Awesomeness. It was the best sleepwear ever! I can wear it over all my other clothes, and the feet are thin enough to stick inside my shoes! And it has pockets!

I hiked out still wearing it the next morning, stripping only when we hit full sun.

Sadly, it weighs in at a pound. I just can't justify it for a long trip, but I certainly have specific criteria now.

OliveOil
03-01-2011, 21:03
Where are you starting?
Since you're stating in june you probably will just be sleeping in whatever clothes you hiked in. In the warm months I mostly just slept in my bra and shorts or nothing at all.

When it gets cold out you'll probably want to pick up some mid weight long-johns both pants and long sleeve shirt, as well as using one of your warn out pair of hiking socks as sleeping socks only.
This is mostly because when it gets cold on the AT your gonna get wet while your hiking, and if you don't have dry clothes to change into you'll have to shiver yourself dry in your sleeping bag while it's below freezing outside. I've done this before both in southern Maine and the Smokies, and let me tell you, it sucks.

oh yeah I also wore down booties because they are awesome. They are worth the weight.

One Half
03-01-2011, 21:09
Hiking with my husband we always tented and slept "au natural" ;). Now we hike with our son so clean tshirt and shorts for me. The 2 of them usually give off quite a bit of heat in our tent.

realdusi
03-02-2011, 11:57
Last year, my husband bought me a hot pink leopard print onsie - complete with feet - for my birthday. I was...puzzled. And not impressed with yet another gift in the "Oh she is a cat lover so here's something cat-related she will love it!" variety.

We also live in FL, so it is not exactly a much-needed item.

Flash forward to January this year. We did an overnight with expected lows under 40. While packing, I decided this monstrosity needed to be worn at least once.

Oh. My. Awesomeness. It was the best sleepwear ever! I can wear it over all my other clothes, and the feet are thin enough to stick inside my shoes! And it has pockets!

I hiked out still wearing it the next morning, stripping only when we hit full sun.

Sadly, it weighs in at a pound. I just can't justify it for a long trip, but I certainly have specific criteria now.

Just awesome! I hope to run into you and your hot pink leopard onesie one day out on the FT

Lilred
03-02-2011, 18:09
so no one has noticed this thread is from 2006???

OliveOil
03-02-2011, 20:14

Ha! that's pretty funny:D

Toolshed
03-02-2011, 22:10
Mustabeen a slowday for BigCranky... Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop looking for the girl in the pink leopard skin onsie, though... :D

Blissful
03-02-2011, 22:59
Sleepwear, even if a thread, never goes out of style. :)

HoorayCookies
03-09-2011, 16:17
I'm personally glad this thread was resurrected -- I like the idea of not wearing my hiking clothes to sleep. We'll see what my back says when I add it to everything else! :p

skooch
03-10-2011, 14:13
kept in a ziplock. trying to plan a cotton (oh no) long sleeve tshirt and yoga pants and socks cause that's what I feel comfy in and will probably sleep like a baby in.

bigcranky
03-10-2011, 16:32
Mustabeen a slowday for BigCranky... Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop looking for the girl in the pink leopard skin onsie, though... :D

That's odd, I always click "new posts" and would never see something this old. Really strange.

seabrookhiker
03-12-2011, 10:46
Last year I slept in my fleece pants until it got warm (around Erwin). The whole rest of the trail I slept in super thin men's cotton pajama bottoms (purchased at the Erwin dollar store) and was quite happy with them. They were comfortable, covered everything so my greasy self didn't make the sleeping bag / pad nasty, were quite washable, and of course they were cheap. Up top I wore my spare wicking shirt.

Mrs Baggins
03-12-2011, 10:54
Nylon yoga pants and a long sleeved polyester top. If it's cold enough, clean dry set of base layers underneath - not the ones I may have been wearing all day. Worth the extra weight to me. No bra underneath - feels too "binding" at night and gives my skin a chance to dry out better.