PDA

View Full Version : Honest question about trail couples...

ToeJam
04-06-2006, 08:31
OK I would like some honest feedback please. :)

Heading out for our longest section hike yet, about 300 miles, in the next week. Franklin to Erwin-ish.

This of course includes the Smokies with all the shelter rules.

I have read in the past I am sure but canot find now, reference to ppl's annoyance with mushy gushy kissy-wissy hiking couples. I get that - and my man and I are not like that.

BUT - having said that, we DO like each other pretty well, even after the test of the trail, and normally always tent it, and have coupled sleeping bags. Now with the Smokies, we will have to unfortunately shelter it (unless they are full and we can legally tent, not sure how likely that is if we WANT it to be so?) but anyway - he thinks we should not be all in ppl's faces and sleep zipped together.

LOL I know seems like a funny issue to wonder about, but I will be lost sleeping in my bag all by myself for those shelter nights if I have to! But if he's right and that would weird ppl out, then of course I'd rather go with his plan.

We have in previous years only stayed in ONE shelter, Plumorchard Gap with two levels and it was rainy and not busy so we had the whole upstairs to ourselves and didnt give it a second thought. But since couples are the exception rather than the rule, I thought I'd ask ya'lls opinion on it?

Also, any good info on how likely we might be able to get out of the shelters this time of year (how full is "full" etc) - does it pay to pull in late so yer more assured it IS full? Or are ya likely to just have to smush in shoulder to shoulder at that point? I just can't find any solid info on this!

K sorry to ramble, I am getting so psyched and there are so many things running thru my mind! Thanks in advance...

~ ToeJam

MOWGLI
04-06-2006, 08:44
Don't worry about sleeping zipped together. Anybody that's going to be upset by that obviously has some hang ups or is jealous. If anyone complains, just tell 'em you're trying to stay warm.

Have a great hike!

the goat
04-06-2006, 08:53
yeah, don't even give it a second thought!

bulldog49
04-06-2006, 09:00
I agree, if anyone has a problem with it, then it's their problem.

Skidsteer
04-06-2006, 09:04
Wouldn't bother me in the least-even if I did sleep in shelters.

bulldog49
04-06-2006, 09:06
OK I would like some honest feedback please. :)

Also, any good info on how likely we might be able to get out of the shelters this time of year (how full is "full" etc) - does it pay to pull in late so yer more assured it IS full? Or are ya likely to just have to smush in shoulder to shoulder at that point? I just can't find any solid info on this!

~ ToeJam

Don't worry about getting in late so the shelter is full. If enough folks arrive after you to fill it, just offer your space to the late arrivers and tent outside.

In all honesty, as long as a Ranger isn't spending the night, you could set-up your tent just before you're ready to turn in for the night, even if the shelter isn't full. If a Ranger comes along after dark, he'd just tell you to take your tent down and move back into the shelter.

ToeJam
04-06-2006, 09:41
Thanks for your opinions! Especially since they were the ones I wanted to hear... ;)

And thanks too for shelter/ranger info, I will keep that in mind, being the selfless hikers we are, to give up our coveted thru spot for the less fortunate! :D

Grampie
04-06-2006, 10:07
Don't worry about the rule for tenting in the Smokies. Most shelters fill up, so just put your tent up. Never saw the rule about tenting inforced.

joel137
04-06-2006, 10:42
I"ll add to the others, don't hesitate about sleeping with the bags zipped up together; that is not "in your face" behaviour

Politeness, might dictate that you don't do much more than sleep together with the bags zipped together . . .

ToeJam
04-06-2006, 11:17
ROFL Joel... duly noted! That was the plan tho anyway.. We like each other but not THAt much! :p

MOWGLI
04-06-2006, 11:21
ROFL Joel... duly noted!

Oh those folks from South Dakota! Last week they banned aboortion. Next week I hear they plan to ban sex. :eek: