PDA

View Full Version : Where to go

jefals
02-19-2024, 12:06
The hiking trail close to home here in Sacramento is my "gym". It's only about 3 miles long, and the hills - altho steep - are only 100 to 120'. With repeating parts of some sections and hills, I had worked up to 8 miles and 900' of climbing, 3 times/week.

Then the rain and the cold weather started. Same thing happened last year, and disrupts my hiking for 3 months. Looking for where I might be able to hike during the winter months where the weather would be more pleasant. I know the answer will probably be somewhere outside the U.S. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Daybreak
02-19-2024, 20:47
Big Bend National Park + surrounding state areas, Guadalupe National Park - Dry, can be cold at night but sunny and pleasant in the day.

Joshua Tree National Park - "Winter brings cooler days, around 60°F (15°C), and freezing nights. It occasionally snows at higher elevations"

I suspect other desert areas in the south west are similar.

Carlsbad Caverns, Mammoth Caves - 56F and 54 F year round

jefals
02-20-2024, 00:49
yes, I hiked big bend and Guadalupe before, in the fall. Franklin SP in El Paso , also. they were very nice when I was there. i agree, that would be a great area if I can depend on them being dry most years during the winter months....
thanks

Slugg
02-21-2024, 00:46
You could pick and choose nice sections of the Florida Trail. I haven’t hiked it but I’m sure other could make some suggestions.

jefals
02-21-2024, 03:36
thanks for the suggestion!

garlic08
02-21-2024, 09:22
There's excellent winter hiking in Southern Arizona. Phoenix has South Mt Park, the Tonto NF, the Superstition Mts, the Arizona Trail. Tucson is similar with the Catalina NF, the Tucson Mts, and the Arizona Trail. Farther north are excellent state parks in Cottonwood and Sedona.

Traveler
02-21-2024, 09:30
Grand Canyon?

jefals
02-21-2024, 09:45
There's excellent winter hiking in Southern Arizona. Phoenix has South Mt Park, the Tonto NF, the Superstition Mts, the Arizona Trail. Tucson is similar with the Catalina NF, the Tucson Mts, and the Arizona Trail. Farther north are excellent state parks in Cottonwood and Sedona.
That's amazing! I lived in Phoenix for 3 years. I used to climb something called Squaw Peak most days after work - but never knew of the other places you mentioned! Thanks - I'll definitely check that out!

jefals
02-21-2024, 09:48
Grand Canyon?
Well, the first thing that comes to mind there is that hike folks do, all the way down -- and all the way back up! I ain't ready for that! But I'm sure there's plenty of good hiking around there. I'll look into it. Thanks!