PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Bonzo

Rejected from Birth
04-06-2006, 13:54
I doubt that anyone reading this knows me, but many of you know my father, a.k.a Chayan, a.k.a Bonzo ( and Rio ). I would like to thank the people at Whiteblaze.net for providing me with the opportunity to bring about closure to a personal life long tragedy that has been going on since I was born December 24th, 1981. My Father abondened my mom, and myself less than a year after I entered into this world. I met him twice by the age of 12, and those memories are garbled and clouded in clarity.

From the time that I was child through my late teens I had very little information on the man that is my biological parent, the man who decided that the nomadic life was his way and not raising me into a man. I didn't have any photo's of him, and I often wondered how much I looked like him. I wondered what parts of my personality were like his, what subtle quirks I was given by him. Questions always outnumbered the facts.

After moving back to my home town of Aiken, South Carolina at age 19 I decided that I wanted to know who " Bonzo " was. I did this without the consent of my family, and was warned of the consequences of pursueing to know him. I felt obligated to find him, and give him the chance to be a part of my life even though he didn't deserve it. I wanted to give him the opportunity to be a Father even though he abandoned that right 18 years prior.

It has been almost 3 years since I saw him for the first time since being 12 years old. I drove 13 hours to Harpers Ferry, WV to spend 5 days with him back in 2004. That was a complete disaster that should have ended our relationship. After having a little too much to drink my Father asked my friend who had joined me on the trip to get me to drink a little more so that my Father could get me to try weed. Upon hearing about this I had a complete breakdown and so my friend loaded our things into my car and we left town after having been there for two days. Nothing against any of you who partake of weed, but I have never tried it, have never wanted to try it. Bonzo knew this, understood this, and yet he was willing to trick me into doing it. For references to this event ask Booboo, or no pain, although no pain was pretty hammered himself.

Let me jump to the conclusion which holds the reason why I am writing all of this. This is the only way that I get Bonzo to perhaps read something that I have to say. Every time I try to talk to him about all of this he either hangs up the phone, or signs off instant messenger. Hey Dad, thanks for showing me that you care what I think, and what I have to say!

Dad,
I have laid aside all good judgement for the past three years and have tried to give you every opportunity to be a part of my life. I invited you to my wedding, I have invited you to come visit, I have invited you to be a part of your granddaughters birth. Every invitiation has been met by you with the best of intentions, but never any actions. I think that deep down, you are a decent person, but you are for the most part full of good intentions but lack any sort of action. The thought of good intentions brings about a euphoria of good feelings, but you have no idea what its like to actually do those good intentions; that is where the joy and satisfaction truely live.

The past three conversations we have had are always about the same old things. Who you are dating / who you just fired. The mindless actions of your dog. The weather. When you are planning to make your next " attempt " at the AT. Our conversations lack any sort of meaning, there is no deepness to them. Whenever I try to talk about anything of meaning you close the door in my face.

I have never cared who you were dating; and it has always been more than funny to hear you say " I think we are going to get married ". I do not care about your dog; in fact I am jealous of your dog! You talk about Rio like I have always wanted you to talk about me! Rio gets more love than I do, and I personally think that is wrong in a hundred different ways. If Rio could talk I think he would call you an jerk from time to time as well.

You have attempted the A.T. at least a dozen times by my counting. Each time you blame not completing it on A) other people or B) other people. Not completing things is your trademark. You didn't complete what you started in me, you haven't completed what you started with my sisters, and you have completed anything in probably over 30 years.

I HAVE TRIED SO VERY HARD TO ALWAYS UPLIFT YOU, ENCOURAGE YOU, LOVE YOU, HELP YOU, AND HELP YOU TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE IN ME ALONG WITH THE POSITIVE THINGS THAT I LOVE ABOUT YOU.

Caroline will be born in 8 weeks, the due date is May 30th. Every time I feel her little body move I freak out and thank God for such a miracle. I told Lizzi today that I just can't understand how anyone could abandon something so magical. I wonder how you could have left me, your first born son. After thinking about this time and time again I have come to a realization. I have forgiven you 100 times, and then another 100 times. I have given you chance, after chance, after chance. The chances are gone, although you will always have my forgiveness. Knowing you has not added anything positive to my life, talking to you only upsets me to the point of rage. You and I are opposite forces and the chemistry is too unbalanced. I can't let that rage, that poison seap into Caroline's life. She doesn't deserve suffering because of my suffering.

In closing I wish you and Rio the best of luck on this next attempt to thru hike the A.T. I wish you the best of health, and my prayers will often hold your name in them. I hold no contempt for you.

Your Son,
Thomas Spence

jeepcj258
04-06-2006, 14:16
I realize that you did not write that for me, but WOW! How do you really feel. I am certainly sorry for your hurt and reading this makes me very thankful for the two wonderful parent that God gave me. It certainly does not sound like he is your father, maybe he is biologically but that is it.

BooBoo
04-06-2006, 14:21
Tommy check your pms.

otterman
04-06-2006, 14:22
I guess writing him a private letter wasn't enough. Was the public bashing healing for you? I don't know about the rest of the folks on Whiteblaze, but I don't know your father and really don't need to know any of this even if I did.

BooBoo
04-06-2006, 14:31
Btw: Congratulations on your future fatherhood. I'll be sending you a pm either today or in the next couple of days. I know you're on AOL messenger I'm not on AOL but I am on Yahoo! messenger so feel free to IM me under the screenname Carlbooboo if you'd like to talk.

Skyline
04-06-2006, 15:31
Morphing into adulthood by way of too many dysfunctional people on multiple family trees myself, I can empathize. But is posting such intimate and private details on WB the only way you could get this message to your father? If so, I hope it works. And works out.

MOWGLI
04-06-2006, 15:41
Folks, give the guy a break. This is obviously painful enough without anyone piling on. If it's inappropriate, I'm confident that the Administrators will deal with it.

orangebug
04-06-2006, 15:49
If this is the only way for Thomas to have some chance that his parent would get this message, I think it is appropriate for naysayers to keep it to themselves, or advise him via a PM. He knows the situation better than any of us.

Nean
04-06-2006, 16:25
Folks, give the guy a break. This is obviously painful enough without anyone piling on. If it's inappropriate, I'm confident that the Administrators will deal with it.

I don't think it is. Its between him and Bonzo -personal.

TOW
04-07-2006, 06:58
you certainly got your point across, why don't you just forgive him....i would almost say that he has been tore up from long ago over this....and if you will truly forgive him you will be able to give him the love that you want to give him and i think in time you will recieve back from him the love that he wants to deep down inside give to you.....

i do not know the mans thinking but i can almost bet that he doesn't even know why he is this way, but i can tell you one thing love will move a mountain and love keeps no records of the wrongs others have done to us, this takes time but if you will start right now you will become excellent at it....

BooBoo
04-07-2006, 16:14
Those of you that know me know that I was close friends with Bonzo for over two years and that I know his son Tommy as well. No one should have to go through what Tommy has gone through so go easy on the guy.

TOW
04-08-2006, 09:56
Those of you that know me know that I was close friends with Bonzo for over two years and that I know his son Tommy as well. No one should have to go through what Tommy has gone through so go easy on the guy.

well no one should have to, but children do go through this type of behavior every day here in the world.....it's time for tommy to get on with living in the now and say goodbye to yesterday.............that's not being harsh, that's just being factual...........

blindeye
04-08-2006, 17:53
yikes!!!!!!!!! maybe this would be better handled in therapy?
otterman i agree with you.

Lone Wolf
04-09-2006, 07:32
This would be a good Jerry Springer episode. Whaaaaa! My daddy didn't hug me enough.:rolleyes:

Bilko
04-09-2006, 12:16
Iam an administrator in a urban public school setting, I have been in education for over 30 years. Kids are having sex on a regular basis starting in the 7th grade (nothing new here). They are having sex without any thought of having a family. They are having sex with numerous partners, without any thought of becoming a parent. Forget about any diseases.

I believe that the boy that was your father had no intentions of being a father. We have dozen of students that report that their fathers had disappeared/died(?) shorty after they were born. The truth is these boys never intented to get married, never wanted a child and did not want the responsibility. The girls get pregnate for many reasons; not being very smart, not being able to do anything about the pregnacy, falling in love with the guy, religious reasons, and some want a child so that they have someone they can love. It is a very sad cycle that I deal with everyday, and the cycle continues. Your father unfortunaletly has no connection with you, he may have several sons like you around looking for him. He is a product of that cycle and you are a product of that cycle. Will the Circle be unbroken?

You can only deal with yourself. I suggest that you Forgive, Forgive, Forgive, Forgive, Forgive, Forgive and then Forget him. You have work to do, you are an important part of our society, we need you to be productive and add to our planet. Today is the first day of the rest of your life, go out there and make yourself proud.

Nean
04-09-2006, 12:36
Well, since this is still on the board, I'll comment. Move on young man. You are not interested in the same things. He is who he is.You need to live in the present and look to the future.:sun Think about the positive things in your life.:-? Living in the past, showing no class, only shows YOU need help and perhaps (I don't know) why mean ol bad dad doesn't enjoy spending time with you.:confused: Spend that time helping folks with real problems and maybe yours won't seem so bad, OR -as Dear Abby might advise, get some professional help!;)

Fat Man Walking
04-09-2006, 23:27
May the Peace of the Lord be always with you!

I will lift you in my prayers tonight.

blindeye
04-10-2006, 06:33
hey fat man walking i love little feat also god rest lowell george

longshank
04-14-2006, 12:03
Hey son, it's me, your dad...I changed my name to longshank to try and hide from you, but it seems you've seen through my clever ruse.
The truth is that I left because I never really loved you or your mother. I'm married to the trail now, kid.
Good luck with everything....
---Poppa.

troglobil
04-14-2006, 12:15
Longshank, You are an ASS!

KirkMcquest
04-14-2006, 12:44
And it's me, uncle Mcquest, your fathers brother who you never met. The truth is your refusal to smoke up has led you down a dark path. One that your Dad and I can't follow.

longshank
04-14-2006, 13:22
It's to late for him, McQuest...Forever will the dark side rule his destiny.

KirkMcquest
04-14-2006, 14:41
I told you that you should have named him Sue! Now look at him.

bulldog49
04-14-2006, 18:59
Lazy, irresponsible pieces of ****e like Bonzo deserve to be called out in public. Nothing more pathetic in my eyes than the failure of a man to not face up to his responsibilities to be there for his children.

And folks with that sort irresponsible character can be expected to ridicule someone who does.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-17-2006, 16:02
First, my smypathy to Thomas for what he has been through. The Wanderer has given you some good advice and I hope you are able to heed it. My guess is there is a great deal of pain on both sides of this broken relationship -- and neither Thomas nor Bonzo has any idea how to fix it / make it go away.

McQuest & Longshank, how do you two live with yourselves? This is an outpouring of immense pain - be it appropriate for posting here or not. To make fun of it says a lot about your character (or lack of character).

bulldog49
04-17-2006, 16:07
If brains, looks and personality don't count, Kirk and Longshank are fine guys. :banana

Israel
04-18-2006, 00:33
Thomas,
You are absolutely correct in that there is something missing inside a man if he can walk away from his children. You are blessed that you do not have that malady and as such will be able to see the miracle of your first born's birth and many years together as a family. Sorry to hear the pain of your past but it sounds like you are making the right personal decision, especially as you move forward with your focus being providing for your family. Your dad, whether he realizes it or not, has forever and absolutely lost out on the best thing that a man can ever see or experience in his life. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders though. As you watch your child grow you will be more and more amazed your dad could walk away but you will also rejoice that you ARE there and you DO get to see all the miracles he evidently squandered away.

Best of luck on the upcoming birth!! Sleep while you can my friend!!!! :) post the baby pics when you have a chance....children are a blessing.

Vi+
04-19-2006, 15:47
Thomas,

My biological parents married just before my father was transferred overseas at the beginning of our involvement in WWII. I have few memories of my life with my mother, none pleasant. My widowed paternal grandmother became my parent. My father returned to graduate school after the war, moved away to find a decent job, remarried, and we then lived together.

At about forty years of age, I was employed in law enforcement as an investigator, living in the eastern US, although I worked all over the US and overseas. I knew my biological mother was from an area in California where I occasionally worked. One day I determined her address. I drove to her house and sat outside. Thinking. I realized she had established her own life, a whole life without me, and I had established my own life, without her. I left without interfering with her. I have no regrets about that decision.

About twenty years later I came to consider that my mother was probably too young to marry. That’s about as close to forgetting and forgiving as I’ll reach.

Each of us is different, yet each of us has the same responsibility, to learn to live our own life and find contentment in what we create.

KirkMcquest
04-19-2006, 16:36
If brains, looks and personality don't count, Kirk and Longshank are fine guys. :banana

I'm glad you could see through all that superficial crap (brains, looks and 'personality') and see the real me:p