PDA

View Full Version : Is WhiteBlaze dying?

MapleHiker
04-18-2024, 09:48
This was my first stop as an aspiring AT Thru Hiker on recommendation from another hiker I met on trail. Since then, it seems this forum has become less and less active. I don't see many of the "regulars" posting here anymore either. There's so much information here about the trail I'd hate to see it all go to waste. Are there any other active forums for the AT out there besides Reddit? I'm not a fan of that. Thanks to everyone who has kept this place going over so many years. I hope it continues.

stephanD
04-18-2024, 10:03
I agree that the site is less active comparing to, let say, ten years ago or even five years but it is still a great resource for all AT things. It seems to me that the older users are slowly fading, as it is the nature of the world and the site fails to attract the younger generations. Just my opinion.

rhjanes
04-18-2024, 10:18
I agree that the site is less active comparing to, let say, ten years ago or even five years but it is still a great resource for all AT things. It seems to me that the older users are slowly fading, as it is the nature of the world and the site fails to attract the younger generations. Just my opinion.
I've seen it happen in a lot of forums. Some kill themselves from within with bickering and personal attacks. Social Media has also caused another shift in where people go for information. I find it interesting on Social Media, how quickly people are getting frustrated with repeating questions. That used to happen here but the polite response to "Which Stove is better" could be handled with a "go to the top and put in a search...there are 20+ discussion threads about choices already". On SM, it seems to me they foster "just ask again and again and again".

Slugg
04-18-2024, 15:38
This topic comes up every few months lol. Other than Reddit, there are Facebook groups like rhjanes said. But frankly, the discussion there is like 95% geared towards beginners asking the exact same question as other beginners over and over again. I find most of the discussion lacking any nuance. And the search functionality sucks.

WB seems about as active as it was 5 years ago to me, though. Maybe 7+ years ago I would say it was noticeably more active. I personally think this forum is over-moderated and I believe that drove off some of the regulars that actually had some personality.

I frequent WB because I find the quality of discussion to be as good as it gets on the internet and because the search tool is so useful. I will also say that you have been a member here for over 3 years now but only have 31 posts. Be the change.

Deadeye
04-18-2024, 16:55
Might be my imagination, but it seems to me like there's some seasonality to WB. A lot more posts in the winter when people are dreaming about hiking, fewer posts when people actually get out and hike.

I still find WB and Hammock Forums worth checking at least weekly, and there's lots of good information to be found.

petedelisio
04-18-2024, 18:02
Dot nets”
Are the shizznizzle for information. Often easily from the biggest brains on any given subject.

I’m sure many don’t mind the same questions to a point; on here as it hashes out more info and more newer info. (Someone needs to design a tempest for fb).
And the searching for past post informations is so much better, easier and, quicker than fake books quagmire of posts inside of posts that you couldn’t find days later anyhow.

Guess people like wasting their time when they could spend it making money for better gear or…..

Kaptainkriz
04-18-2024, 18:31
I have found this site to be very informative and the forum responses to questions typically are pretty specific and detailed, coming from people with years of experience. The only other forum that comes close, in my opinion, is Backpacking Light, and it comes with its own set of characters and technical anomalies.

HankIV
04-18-2024, 19:28
I started in 2020, after lurking for a few months. I think there was more activity during Covid, as all but the most determined reined in their hiking. Also agree on the seasonality, which makes sense. Reddit users might be a bit more up to date on gear, but seem a little more West Coast oriented and definitely snarkier.

illabelle
04-18-2024, 21:02
We finished the AT in 2020, and have less need of intel from locals about various parts of the trail. An ankle fracture in Nov '22 slowed me down for a while. Now we're gearing up and learning about the PCT. Won't do the whole thing, but we'll do a few select pieces of it. There's a lot of info here even if you have to dig in the zombie threads.

Agree with comments about the Facebook groups. Hard to find good info, and really really tiresome reading the same stuff over and over. Plus there's so many people in the group that you don't develop relationships with anyone. Very impersonal. WB is a ton better in that respect.

I used to check WB daily, 5 years ago. in 2020 I got "moderated" because I failed to toe the line on the corona narrative. Who knew that health was a political issue. WB is still a great resource but Reddit is more current and useful these days.

Yep, same here, but I still check at least once a week.

Traveler
04-19-2024, 07:10
To further Rhjanes comments, while it can be tiring reading the same questions repeatedly it can be a useful resource in finding new products or emerging technologies that may not have been discussed without some of these repeated questions. Typically the forum manages these questions pretty well, avoiding the pitfall of hazing new members who may not know or fully understand how to use the search function or have an interesting depiction of a common but little discussed problem needing resolution.

The ebb and flow of seasonal activity has an impact on forum activity as well which occur at predictable times like end of winter/early spring, mid summer, and mid Autum. This can make the forum seem to suffer from lack of interest when its likely many members are out and about stirring up new adventures and learning wisdom laden techniques of navigation or two log crossings. Some people may not comment on a topic if the issue has been well covered by others, conversely addressing a comment to a well trod issue in support a point of view, etiquette, or issues in search of consensus.

The value of this forum is in its overall decorum and the literally hundreds of years of experience that is passed on to others which enhances experiences across the continent. Few other forums can make this observation and is what keeps me coming back regularly to hear what is new, hear of trail activity in certain areas, see who mistook an opossum for a cat, and politics with regard to the organizations that are responsible for care taking of these wonderful trails we trudge year after year.

CalebJ
04-19-2024, 08:44
It would be interesting to have hard statistics of number of posts per month over the last ten years. To me it does feel like things have slowed down progressively, but I don't have anything concrete to back that up.

HankIV
04-19-2024, 09:21
I used to check WB daily, 5 years ago. in 2020 I got "moderated" because I failed to toe the line on the corona narrative. Who knew that health was a political issue. WB is still a great resource but Reddit is more current and useful these days.

Funny, I checked the Reddit for the AT just after this and the Moderator is posting a sort of AT wiki, with 2 links to WhiteBlaze. https://www.reddit.com/r/AppalachianTrail/comments/1au7mnt/2024_at_information_hostels_shuttles_permits/

Gambit McCrae
04-19-2024, 10:38
This topic comes up every few months lol. Other than Reddit, there are Facebook groups like rhjanes said. But frankly, the discussion there is like 95% geared towards beginners asking the exact same question as other beginners over and over again. I find most of the discussion lacking any nuance. And the search functionality sucks.
WB seems about as active as it was 5 years ago to me, though. Maybe 7+ years ago I would say it was noticeably more active. I personally think this forum is over-moderated and I believe that drove off some of the regulars that actually had some personality.
I frequent WB because I find the quality of discussion to be as good as it gets on the internet and because the search tool is so useful. I will also say that you have been a member here for over 3 years now but only have 31 posts. Be the change.

Nailed it. Facebook has more or less consumed the internet audience for most activities; its not a whiteblaze thing, or a hiking thing...its a platform thing.
We also have to look at how these platforms are presented vs the devices we are using to access them. Cell phones. Platforms like Facebook, redditt etc have apps. People are using cell phones as a huge majority to access their internet and with forums not having this accessibility they naturally fall off in use.

I have been what I would call a 2nd gen WB user. 1st gen being its 2003-2004 start. However, when I joined in 2012 (2011 first account, lost access) there was significant activity on here. I would just leave the "what's new" up all day at work and it would be a constant flow of dialogue. There were also threads created just to generate dialogue..."Coffee rooms, campfire talk" etc

I got out of the habit of starting threads directly related to my "pre trip questions" because I found that I received so much info that was either not realistic in the moment or I just got criticism for what my trip SHOULD look like vs what I had planned, and when MY plan would work without a hitch time and time again, it became annoying to receive this information. I also found that not asking the pre trip questions lent itself to myself growing more as a long distance hiker vs going through the routine directed by others.

What kind of threads do I try and create? I try to create 3 types of threads these days.

-Informative - Trip Reports & gear reviews
&
-Thought Provoking

Here is a troubling concept.
The forum isn't growing at the rate that members are dropping off. I feel like the majority of WB members experience is aging, perhaps they did a thru hike in years past and stick around to keep the "dream" alive? But the trail changes over the years. Reroutes, shelter closures, new hostels open, old ones close, shuttle drivers are the same. I know I do not contribute as much on AT relates because my information is now dated. Example: Someone asks for a shuttle driver in SoVa, well my shuttle driver for SoVa is dead now so that would be a pretty crappy suggestion. Where is the most current information? Facebook. But as Slugg said, searching for info is nonexistent in FB groups so its a very "I have a question, answer it now and move on" style of platform where as WB is more of a database of data.

I will personally stay on WB for its lifetime. It was dear to my heart thru my AT completion and I hold on to that by trying to contribute and keep it alive.

Slugg
04-19-2024, 11:36
Nailed it. Facebook has more or less consumed the internet audience for most activities; its not a whiteblaze thing, or a hiking thing...its a platform thing.
We also have to look at how these platforms are presented vs the devices we are using to access them. Cell phones. Platforms like Facebook, redditt etc have apps. People are using cell phones as a huge majority to access their internet and with forums not having this accessibility they naturally fall off in use. .

I have often thought about the “how we access these sites” factor but somehow forgot to mention it in my reply. I think that might actually be the biggest factor of all - most people these days access the internet from their phones. Facebook and Reddit are designed to be optimized for your phone - WB is, frankly, terrible to use on a phone compared to those apps. WB is awesome for a desktop but that’s not how most people browse the internet anymore. Typing on a computer is much easier than on a phone or tablet as well so the trend away from desktops has also brought on shorter, less thoughtful posts.

Tennessee Viking
04-19-2024, 16:50
I am an almost daily visitor since 2007 while hiking and maintaining.

The one problem I have with those FB and social media hiking groups are the "Can Someone Recommend a ...Overnighter...backpack...how much food should I carry" posts. A lot of its personal choice or asking questions without doing any sort of research, testing, or experimenting.

petedelisio
04-19-2024, 17:03
I have often thought about the “how we access these sites” factor but somehow forgot to mention it in my reply. I think that might actually be the biggest factor of all - most people these days access the internet from their phones. Facebook and Reddit are designed to be optimized for your phone - WB is, frankly, terrible to use on a phone compared to those apps. WB is awesome for a desktop but that’s not how most people browse the internet anymore. Typing on a computer is much easier than on a phone or tablet as well so the trend away from desktops has also brought on shorter, less thoughtful posts.

I discovered a button on wb shortly ago that changes the way it appears on your phone.
Don’t remember where.
Maybe someone can point it out.

Slugg
04-19-2024, 17:35
Bottom left-hand corner. But the mobile option isn’t much better imo.

CalebJ
04-19-2024, 19:40
Bottom left-hand corner. But the mobile option isn’t much better imo.
Honestly I find the mobile version far worse to use. It's possible the people complaining are seeing that - I believe it's the default.

Dan Roper
04-19-2024, 20:39
I love WB and have been here since the start (by a slightly different name for the first decade or more).

Use is way down and probably will continue to dwindle, but like Gambit I'll be here to the end.

I've never had a phone, so the WB format on a PC is what I've been accustomed to for about 22 years. I've never been to FB or any other social media. But I am an anomaly and an anachronism, so I know my preferences are far out of date.

I had some posts flagged by the moderator during the Covid era. They were legit and I was disappointed, but the mod did a good job of preventing WB from descending into the vitriolic polarization that divided just about every other place, real and electronic.

Love you guys. Thank you (and your WB "ancestors") for making something worthwile, entertaining, informative, and unusually congenial for a score years.

Slow Trek
04-19-2024, 23:50
Maybe i am part of the problem. I read all the time,before I post I always ask myself if I am adding anything new or useful to the discussion. Usually the answer is no,so I don't post much..

HankIV
04-21-2024, 11:34
Stumbled into this joint just before Covid to plan my 2020 thru, which shifted to a 2021 thru.

WB provided great support/escape for me in those dark days.

Agree with Dan Roper that the mods did a pretty good job, even though I also got zapped once or twice.

Will also stick around like Gambit.

zelph
04-21-2024, 16:07
That used to happen here but the polite response to "Which Stove is better" could be handled with a "go to the top and put in a search...there are 20+ discussion threads about choices already".

Let's see how it goes nowadays "Which stove is better" canister or DIY alcohol? :D

Odd Man Out
04-22-2024, 08:19
Most of the posts in this thread are from relative newcomers (less than 1000 posts, 10 years). That is encouraging as it takes new people to keep it going. Some old-timers have moved on to other fora to find things not available here, such as more social interaction. If you Google Appalachian Trail Forum, you may find them.

Pringles
04-22-2024, 08:54
It seems cyclic. There’ll be a group that’s hyper active, and then they’ll get bored and drift away and there’ll be a down time, and then a new individual or group will arrive and they’ll liven things up for a while. We’ve had members who passed away, and we had “memorials” via the forum. Hiking is a bit like economics, the questions are the same, but the answers change. If you look at early posts, hiking poles just tore up the trail, now they’re how people hold their tents up. Stoves, tarps, tents, packs, DIY, fabrics, vendors, the dancing banana, what’s on sale, how to fix a broken ____, shuttle people, nuts-on-the-trail, how’s the water—those topics never die, they just transform to here, now, and today. Frankly, “active” isn’t always great. I was kind of glad when the biting dinosaurs era ended, but I always enjoyed hearing what Minnesota Smith was up to.

Slugg
04-22-2024, 08:58
Most of the posts in this thread are from relative newcomers (less than 1000 posts, 10 years). That is encouraging as it takes new people to keep it going. Some old-timers have moved on to other fora to find things not available here, such as more social interaction. If you Google Appalachian Trail Forum, you may find them.

Huh, I found the forum you’re referring to. Had never heard of it before. Seems like a similar vibe to WhiteBlaze, but with even less activity. Seems like a consolidation would be mutually beneficial but I’ve never even heard of such a thing occurring with online forums.

LittleRock
04-22-2024, 10:45
Yes, activity is down from when I joined 10 years ago. But it's not dead, not by a long shot. There's a group of regulars who I believe will keep this site active for years to come. But also, it's not attracting any younger people (under 30), so will probably continue to dwindle. Social media is more popular for young folks for reasons people have mentioned previously, plus I think the younger generations would rather watch a video than read (this is certainly true of my children). Another reason is apps like Far Out now provide real-time trail info, eliminating the need for threads like "Is the water source at campsite XYZ flowing?"

Personally I still check the site at least once/week. I'll probably never leave entirely, but I may check it less often after I finish the AT in a few more years.

TwoSpirits
04-22-2024, 17:05
I first came here in 2012(?) It seemed that every question I Googled pointed me in the direction of some thread on Whiteblaze, so after lurking for a bit I eventually signed up. Whiteblaze has been my single best and most reliable source of information for all things hiking. I have learned so much from so many different people here. Whenever I've been feverishly planning section hikes, I would probably hit this site several times a day. And there have been times when injury or illness has thrown me into a funk, and I start thinking maybe hiking is part of my past...but then I take a look at Whiteblaze, and it only takes looking at a thread or two to give me some inspiration to get back at it.

It does seem slower than in years past. There have definitely been some characters and topics that would make my eyes roll. And sometimes I miss the entertainment provided by some of those characters and discussions, but I think the moderation has been fair -- people are allowed to have their thoughts and opinions, even if they're stupid (<---just my opinion [emoji6]), but there is a line and when it's crossed the mods do their job. And once upon a time having played that part, I can say that it's often a boring, irritating, and thankless job.

I do agree that younger people are more inclined towards the various social media platforms (and I'm sure there's a whole sociological thing going on there), and it's true that those sites are easily accessed on smartphones, but so can Whiteblaze. In fact, I access Whiteblaze exclusively on my phone, via the Tapatalk app. The last time I checked in on my laptop, I was lost trying to navigate it. I guess I'm just saying that the two (Whiteblaze and phone apps) can co-exist.

Well that's the longest post I've written in a while -- maybe the best way to revive a sleeping forum is to poke it!

HankIV
04-22-2024, 18:06
See Gambit’s new thread on struggle!

heavy
04-25-2024, 16:29
Discussions about outdoor ethics, inspiration to get out, and a wealth of information to improve my experiences when I do get out are better here than other forums/social media IMO. It has felt slower this past offseason though.

TheAri
04-25-2024, 23:26
You can always load it up on tap a talk

zelph
04-26-2024, 10:09

We need more of your kind to perk things up 50436

jomo1983
04-26-2024, 11:09

awesome! How do I do that on my typewriter?

HooKooDooKu
04-26-2024, 20:18
Count me in the group that says it's because of Facebook.

A decade ago, this site seemed to be THE place to go when it came to all hiking topics, not JUST the AT. At the time, I personally never saw another hiking related forum that was as active as this. But in the last ten years, I feel like I've seen a steady decline in white blaze that corresponded with topic specific Facebook groups.

I've seen the same thing happen to other social media sites.

Eight years, ago, if you wanted to talk about the John Muir Trail, there was a Yahoo group devoted to the subject. Today, that Yahoo group is dead and there is a strong JMT group on Facebook.

HankIV
04-26-2024, 22:29
Count me in the group that says it's because of Facebook.

A decade ago, this site seemed to be THE place to go when it came to all hiking topics, not JUST the AT. At the time, I personally never saw another hiking related forum that was as active as this. But in the last ten years, I feel like I've seen a steady decline in white blaze that corresponded with topic specific Facebook groups.

I've seen the same thing happen to other social media sites.

Eight years, ago, if you wanted to talk about the John Muir Trail, there was a Yahoo group devoted to the subject. Today, that Yahoo group is dead and there is a strong JMT group on Facebook.

I’d rather hike stupidly on my own than smartly with Zuck.

capehiker
04-28-2024, 22:39
Most of us who have been here since the beginning were refugees from Wingfoots old site. It was wild back in the day as technology was infiltrating backpacking and the endless threads about phones in the wilderness could get heated. There were some great debates back in the day as well. Baltimore Jack vs Warren Doyle was anlways enjoyable reading.

WB has archived some of the most in depth discussions from the last 20 years that are still relevant today.

Mr. Bumpy
04-29-2024, 06:22
I'm still waiting for TrailPlace to come back :-)

TOW
04-29-2024, 23:13
Let's make Whiteblaze rock again...

illabelle
04-30-2024, 16:18
Here's one of the problems with WB:
We hiked in the Smokies this past weekend. I just posted on FB a handful of photos. It was easy.
Posting photos on WB is cumbersome.
But if anybody is missing some rainpants from campsite 26 or 27, let me know.

Teacher & Snacktime
04-30-2024, 17:36
All my fault...been slacking :) It is true though that I haven't been on in ages, and when I have the regulars I recall are mostly missing (not you Illabelle thankfully). Anyway, I just "reupped" with the donation, and I hope to stay on the forum (if not the actual trail) more.

imscotty
04-30-2024, 22:21
I'll pop my head in here and post for the first time in two years. Some of us got tired of the over moderation. I hang out in another forum now with my friends on the 'Group 'W' Bench.' We get to talk about 'inseams' and everything.

And Hello Teacher! Good to see you in here.

Scotty

Lone Wolf
04-30-2024, 23:44
i'm OG :)....

BradMT
05-01-2024, 10:25
If you notice, a LOT of the respondents on this thread are over 60 years old, myself included. I think a lot of us in this age group prefer the format of a BB, whereas many of those who are younger prefer Reddit, Facebook, etc. I think that's a shame because a lot of collective wisdom is lost with those more transitory type forums. It's so much simpler to access old information on a BB than on social media like Reddit. A BB like White Blaze is a real depository of information and experience...

rhjanes
05-01-2024, 10:27
I'm adding a personal observation about moderation. I used to be very active in some Drum Building forums. These are my personal observations but others did feel the same way. There was a Drum forum that was very moderated by the owner. It was his forum, he paid the bill and so what he did was what he did. He would heavily moderate some "people" and others (his friends, or as some said, the ones who Kissed his a....) hardly ever got moderated. A lot of people did leave and the forum got very quiet and eventually died. At the same time, there was a competing Drum building forum with almost zero moderation (I was one of the moderators and we tried to do moderation behind the scene). That forum quickly formed a group, a clicke really, that could be very nasty to people. that forum also slowly died. People who asked a question or tried to make an observation were sometimes almost attacked by the "in" group. Pretty soon, it was just the "in" group left. That forum also died. They have a FB presence but it seems fairly quiet.
So, over or under moderation on forums, can both lead to a decline in a forum. My observation. It seems the vibe of the members can overcome either moderation.

LittleRock
05-01-2024, 10:45
I've been moderated a few times on this forum but in retrospect I probably deserved it those times.

HankIV
05-01-2024, 19:11
I've been moderated a few times on this forum but in retrospect I probably deserved it those times.

Me too. Not an easy job, moderating. Thanks Attroll and crew

Captain Blue
05-01-2024, 19:42
A lot of people left WB during the pandemic when talking about hiking the AT was banned here. And they never came back. Same with the ATC but they got pipeline money to keep them afloat.

HankIV
05-01-2024, 19:45
But ultimately:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. XT9a9pMAbFE2-TyyJDLeoQHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=e862c10f5d2e50390b94be10f21cdcecf97e23f8d5dc38 59971a51d3d33dc2a4&ipo=images

Seatbelt
05-02-2024, 10:09
Same here, I do not necessarily come across the same in writing as I do in person. I am very much a "tic" commenter. but many have not seen it that way. Guess I need to learn how to better express myself. I truly hope that WB does not die, it has been a great helpful source of info for my hikes, and I am not yet finished.

capehiker
05-05-2024, 22:15
A lot of people left WB during the pandemic when talking about hiking the AT was banned here. And they never came back. Same with the ATC but they got pipeline money to keep them afloat.

Wait…what? I was actually hiking the AT during the pandemic so I wasn’t online much. This was actually a thing? I think a lot of us will agree that hiking during the pandemic was actually a great time.

Traveler
05-06-2024, 08:57
The AT itself was not closed but many Local, State, National Parks and National Forest Service amenities like shelters did close early in the pandemic. With those closures came trail access inaccessibility subject to law enforcement actions. The ATC recommended hikers stay off the trail at the time and conversation regarding breeching local, State, and Federal trespass laws was discouraged on this site, which was appropriate. However general conversation about hiking the AT and other long distance trails were not "banned".

Keep in mind in the early days of the pandemic we did not have a good understanding of the virus as we do today. We did not know the vectors of infection travel, how long it would remain active in the air, on surfaces and in water along with exposure prevention techniques that would help people protect themselves until treatment methods and ultimately vaccines could be developed. Hospitals and clinics filled up surprisingly fast to the point they had to turn people away for lack of space and supplies. Food availability was compromised due to supply chain interruptions and employee absenteeism forcing local business closings. Some small towns and counties actually closed roads going into their jurisdictions that actively turned back all but a few necessary deliveries and services. A very scary time indeed for everyone.

In my view, moderators did a rather good job of incrementally limiting conversation that wandered into potentially illegal activity of members and providing confirmed information as available regarding virus related issues that most would agree were within responsible guidelines.

CalebJ
05-06-2024, 09:27
The AT itself was not closed but many Local, State, National Parks and National Forest Service amenities like shelters did close early in the pandemic. With those closures came trail access inaccessibility subject to law enforcement actions. The ATC recommended hikers stay off the trail at the time and conversation regarding breeching local, State, and Federal trespass laws was discouraged on this site, which was appropriate. However general conversation about hiking the AT and other long distance trails were not "banned".
Keep in mind in the early days of the pandemic we did not have a good understanding of the virus as we do today. We did not know the vectors of infection travel, how long it would remain active in the air, on surfaces and in water along with exposure prevention techniques that would help people protect themselves until treatment methods and ultimately vaccines could be developed. Hospitals and clinics filled up surprisingly fast to the point they had to turn people away for lack of space and supplies. Food availability was compromised due to supply chain interruptions and employee absenteeism forcing local business closings. Some small towns and counties actually closed roads going into their jurisdictions that actively turned back all but a few necessary deliveries and services. A very scary time indeed for everyone.

In my view, moderators did a rather good job of incrementally limiting conversation that wandered into potentially illegal activity of members and providing confirmed information as available regarding virus related issues that most would agree were within responsible guidelines.

Agreed. Conversation about hiking certainly wasn't banned, and the moderators handled things reasonably.

BillyGr
05-06-2024, 19:03
And with things being done differently in so many places (like you mention about closings in towns and similarly small areas), it was often hard for someone to know what was, and wasn't allowed in one place that might be completely different a few miles up or down the trail.

CalebJ
05-08-2024, 22:15
Edit - post this was in response to is gone, so this message became meaningless.

Alligator
05-08-2024, 22:42
That is where this forum should have shined. Unfortunately any discussion about hiking options and offers to help those on the trail were shut down under the idea that the moderators had a responsibility to police the hiking community. The moderators did not have that responsibility. It was disturbing to me that they assumed it. People were not breaking the law by hiking the AT.

It seemed like many people were very happy to give up freedom for safety, but they demanded that others do the same.So this site has a user agreement, and one of the rules is this

4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.Discussing actions that would involve legally closed areas breaks this rule. Now we aren't going to rehash moderation decisions in the forums. We also have this rule here

3. Topics that have been closed, deleted, or moved by an Administrator or Moderator have been done for a reason. Users will not open new threads on the same subject or continue to make posts about subjects that have had these actions taken. Failing to comply with this policy can result in being placed into moderated status.Kindly please adhere to the user agreement when posting. Thanks!

chknfngrs
05-09-2024, 15:37
moderators moderating moderately.

it’s a dirty job, and someone’s gotta do it.

I love all things Appalachian Trail, to include pandemic speed records but did not realize the code we agree to when signing includes illegalities. Anyways, let’s go hike!

gpburdelljr
05-09-2024, 16:14
Since WB started 20+ years ago there has been a tremendous increase in the number of hikers. With that increase came an increase in where you could learn about hiking (hiker written books, trailjournals, vlogs, etc.). Many of these go into detail on gear used, things to expect on a hike, etc. WB isn’t dying, it’s just that there are more information sources available. Reading a few trailjournals will give a potential hiker a good idea of everything to expect on a thru hike, but WB is still a good source especially for specific questions.

zelph
05-10-2024, 18:18
Came across this video today. Read the comments made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6QJfocwNd0