PDA

View Full Version : Hydration

shoe
04-06-2006, 23:10
Comments on the best way to stay hydrated please.

My pack is not one of the newer ones that is equipped with a bladder pocket or whatever they are called although I know this doesn't mean that I still can't use one.

I was thinking about a couple of regular water bottles plus a platy or something similar. It was recommended that I get one with a locking valve but I didn't see anything like that at REI.

Just curious what other people do for their water situation.

Thanks again
Melissa

hikerjohnd
04-06-2006, 23:25
I built a hydration system long before they were made by camelbak and platypus (if only I had patented the invention). I am convinced they are the way to go. It is convenient to sip as you need and if placed in the pack properly, will stay cool all day. Now I use camelbak (would use nalgene if they were lighter) and can hook the bag right to my filter. I never have to take my bladder out of my pack!

Phreak
04-06-2006, 23:33
You could use the Camelbak UnBottle, which can attach to the outside of your pack. Or simply put the bladder between the lid and the top of your pack.

MedicineMan
04-07-2006, 06:09
can you attach a hose to the MSR bags...i think they are much more durable than the bladders by CB and Platypus.

Marta
04-07-2006, 06:49
On the southern AT, I don't carry more than about a liter and a half of water with me. In bottles. I do have an empty, larger water carrier that I use in camp. I also consume a great deal of liquid before leaving camp in the morning, when arriving in camp at night, and when I'm near good water sources. I find this easier and lighter than messing with water bladders and carrying large amounts of water with me.

hikerjohnd
04-07-2006, 08:19
can you attach a hose to the MSR bags...i think they are much more durable than the bladders by CB and Platypus.
but what is the weight trade off? If durability is an issue, go with the nalgene bladder (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202414419&SearchEngine=Froogle&SearchTerm=202414419&Type=PE&Category=Sport&dcaid=17379) - guaranteed leakproof - and nalgene means it! A friend had a bottle leak in his pack (lemonade) - nalgene sent check to cover replacing down bag and walkman (this was the days before MP3 players kids...)

Two Speed
04-07-2006, 08:34
Gonna vote against bladders and recommend 1 litre water bottles instead. Cheap, light and durable. I carry two. In a small (2,000 CI) pack that I'm playing with they go in the mesh pockets on each side of the pack; I find that by "unslinging" one shoulder strap I can easily reach the side pockets while on the move. On my older external I put one in an Outdoor Research bottle holster and the other one goes in a large pocket on the side of the pack. Either way I find that I stay plenty hydrated and when the bottles get nasty I just drop by a grocery store and buy new bottles.

I object to bladders are for the following reasons:
1) I generally hike during the winter and the bite valve and hose on a bladder are more prone to freezing than a bottle. Yeah, a bottle will eventually freeze, but the bottles take longer to do it.
2) I've observed lots of bite valves laying in the dirt when another hiker took their pack off; looks like one more gizmo that a hiker has to be careful of, and that ain't my style. (Fewer gizmos good. More gizmos bad.)
3) I think keeping the water bottles sanitary is easier. Easier to clean and just junk 'em when they get too nasty.
4) I'm cheap. A new water bottle rarely costs over $1.00. I don't know how much a bladder costs and really don't want to think about it. I've blown enough cash on hiking gear that another $20 or $30 for a gizmo that I really don't like anyway just isn't appealing.

All that said, choose what works for best for you and enjoy yourself. It's all good.

Footslogger
04-07-2006, 08:54
Based on the previous posts I'd have to classify myself as a "hybrid" when it comes to water containers. I use a 1.8 Liter Platypus and a 20oz Gatorade bottle. The Platy fits perfectly across the top of my pack (Granite Gear Vapor Trail) under the lid with the hose draped over my shoulder. I rigged 2 lightweight shock cord loops on the shoulder strap for a 20oz Gatorade bottle. I start the day with Gatorade/Tang mixed in the bottle, which gives me a little flavor alternative to water as I start my day. I empty the bottle first and then switch over to the Platy. I generaly stop for luch at a water supply spot and refill the bottle and mix with Gatorade to drink with my food and then refill it with water for the afternoon's hiking.

This system worked extremely well on my thru in 2003 and I haven't seen anything yet to make me want to consider changing it.

'Slogger

Kerosene
04-07-2006, 09:18
Here's another option that works well for me. I carry two 32-oz. flexible Nalgene Cantenes (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=9203324&parent_category_rn=5760748&vcat=REI_SEARCH) (they can carry up to 43 oz. each when topped off), one in each side pocket. They weigh 2 oz. each.

I replace the cap on one of the cantenes with the Nalgene Drink Tube and Bite Valve (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=10454444&parent_category_rn=5760730&vcat=REI_SEARCH). This allows me to drink while walking, serving the purpose of a hydration bladder without the drawbacks of such bladders (and without their attendant benefits also). Works for me.

Seeker
04-07-2006, 09:59
i carry 2 x 32oz aqua-fina water bottles and an empty 1.5liter platy. i use the bottles during the day, and fill the platy as needed. at the risk of reigniting the hydration theory fight (just let it drop) i don't believe in the hydration pack/hose thing... yes, it's nice to drink every couple steps, but i don't need that sort of convenience... i'm not in a hurry when i'm in the woods... the platy is good for that final water stop before making camp, so i have something to cook with, can wash my pot, spoon, teeth, and maybe rinse off my body... but that's just me and how i deal with my hiking environment. if i were hiking somewhere else, i might have to change it. in the smokies, for example, i'd ditch the platy... there's water everywhere there. if i'm hiking here in LA with my young daughter, i need a 6liter bladder to keep her clean and happy... so, different gear for different situations. but 2 bottles and an empty platy 'if needed' most of the time.

longshank
04-07-2006, 10:41
I carry a 3 litre camelback w/ two 1 litre platypus bags. The platy's weigh nothing and roll up when empty, which I like. I use one for cooking water/gatorade/juice or whatever, the other I fill with wine when I get into town.

hikerjohnd
04-07-2006, 12:06
... yes, it's nice to drink every couple steps, but i don't need that sort of convenience...

In the past, my big pack rode nicely, but the water bottle pocket was too far back (my arms just don't bend that way!) so when I wanted a drink, I had to remove my pack, but did not want to make the rest break that long. The tube system was more of a convenience than a hydration factor. Now I am just accustomed to the tube. CB and Platy have just made my homemade version more convenient.

CaptChaos
04-07-2006, 12:16
I carry two 1 liter water bottles with me. One bottle is by my right shoulder and the other bottle is my backup inside of my pack. I also have a platapus that is also 1 liter and I have it on my left side in a side pocket with the hose that is by my left side always. I also carry a 1 gal bottle that I fill up in camp after I have topped everything off so that i can have water for eating, drinking, cleaning, and topping myself off before I head out.

Seeker
04-07-2006, 16:52
In the past, my big pack rode nicely, but the water bottle pocket was too far back (my arms just don't bend that way!) so when I wanted a drink, I had to remove my pack, but did not want to make the rest break that long. The tube system was more of a convenience than a hydration factor. Now I am just accustomed to the tube. CB and Platy have just made my homemade version more convenient.

yeah... i can't get to mine either... but the 'army way' i learned and practiced was to walk an hour and stop for 10 minutes... that's when i drink... more often when it's hot... and like i said, i'm seldom in a hurry... maybe someday i'll 'convert'...

shoe
04-07-2006, 17:49
Thanks for all the great ideas. Not sure what I will do yet. But I am leaning towards 2 bottles plus a platy for camp purposes. I am a slow hiker so will take many breaks. And I agree with the poster about another "gizmo" to break

Wingman
04-07-2006, 18:07
I am going to have to agree with Seeker. The two plastic 1 quart water bottles are the way to go. You will save four ounces on weight (for each) over the classic nalgine, and in terms of durability, I have yet to break one. As for the platy, It is good to hike without it, stopping for water not only hydrates you but also allows for rest time... camp purposes do seem to make sense, but on the trail, it is just extra weight, Trust me.

wilderness bob
04-07-2006, 18:18
mel-g,

Your question was how to stay hydrated. My suggestions are:

No matter what you carry as a water container, come up with an adjustable intake plan. Be committed to drinking an adequate amount constantly. One liter an hour, every hour, worked for me during the hot summer months (less when it was cooler). Stop taking water in a few hours before you end your day, this helps prevent the night time visits to the wood line.

Monitor the color of your urine, yellow is no good unless you are taking vitamins or medication. Normally the color will clear up soon after taking vitamins or meds. Keep it clear at all times possible.

The other way to monitor your hydration level is to time the duration of your urination. Sounds funny but when you are hydrated and are stable, the time becomes a constant (especially if your income amount is constant as well). If the time it takes to urinate shortens, drink more.

Finally the trick to taking in a lot of water is for it to taste good, add flavoring. It helps immensely with the amount you intake.

These are lessons learned, sometimes the hard way.

Good luck, WB

Peaks
04-07-2006, 20:20
Some hikers use hydration systems, or bladders, and others use bottles. Different things work for different people.

If your pack does not have a hydration sleeve or pocket, then just lay the bladder on top of your pack under the lid or top pocket.

Several choices for bottles also. Some use Nalgene type. Others use sports drink bottles or soda bottles. Sports drink bottles and soda bottles are lighter tan Nalgene, but also not as durable. Trade-offs.

kevin
04-07-2006, 22:52
I go with 3 24-ounce soda/water bottles and then just switch off when in town. When I first started "gearing up", I bought some Nalgene lexan bottles as I thought they were "standard" equipment. Then I realized how heavy they were. While the soda bottles are less durable, they hold up reasonably well and are cheap to replace plus super light. I also carry a bigger soft-side canteen that I use in camp.