PDA

View Full Version : Light my fire spork

hikerjohnd
04-06-2006, 23:37
Anyone use the Light My Fire Spork (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/light_my_fire_spork.html)? Just curious :-?

DawnTreader
04-07-2006, 00:38
I do!! I'm not sure if I will take it on July's section hike.. it dosn't fit inside my pot :(...but I like it, so maybe we'll give it a dummy string and find a spot for it.. Mine is Blue! What color is yours?

hikerjohnd
04-07-2006, 00:43
I do!! I'm not sure if I will take it on July's section hike.. it dosn't fit inside my pot :(...but I like it, so maybe we'll give it a dummy string and find a spot for it.. Mine is Blue! What color is yours?

Mine's red! It has been on one trip and it was pretty cool - but I too have trouble figuring out where to pack it. With my pocket rocket stove, it all fits nicely in my kitchen bag, but when I take my ion, the spork sticks out like a sore thumb... My other silverware fit in my kettle (with my ion everything but fuel fit in the kettle!)

Tinker
04-07-2006, 01:14
When we hiked together in Georgia. I guess if you cook a lot of spaghetti or eat a lot of steak on the trail, it could come in handy. Sometimes I wonder why I bought a spork. I hardly ever - actually, I can't ever remember - cooking anything on the trail that I couldn't eat with a spoon.

Whistler
04-07-2006, 02:33
I've got a yellow one. I haven't used it on-trail yet, as I've been on a no-cook kick. I know that it doesn't fit into my .9L Evernew pot, though. But it has come in handy at work and home. I can finish a salad, and with a flick of the wrist, dig into the yogurt. Haven't needed to cut much. All in all, it works pretty well. I bought one as a gift for a friend of mine and he really loves it.
-Mark

DawnTreader
04-07-2006, 02:54
A few late night thoughts
hiker john..I, also have an ion, and have the same problem setteling on a good spot.
You know what Tinker..... when it's not a question of weight, obviously a lexan spork dosn't weigh more or less than its counterpart spoon, having that extra oompff, that freebie, the ellusive "buy one get one free," feeling that is "the spork," is truely exilharating. Why the hell not carry one. I think now I have to count my spork as a luxury item. this makes 4!!!
upon further analysis, I don't think that the "light my fire spork" is technically a spork. I was under the assumption that a spork, as first seen at taco bell's around the country about ten years ago, had both the fork and the spoon functions on the same end of the utensil. Correct me if I'm wrong. "Light my fire," as interpreted and tested, by yours truly, appears to actually be a multi ended utensil, that is, the fork-with serated side (we will get to this function in a second,) is at one end, and the spoon option is opposite pole. Now, this seems more like the swiss army aproach to sporking; Somebody call the discovery channel, this is truely a "modern marvel." And just in case you need to cut a loaf of yummy Italian bread, or the like, while hiking away, this gem comes complete with aprox. 8 tiny lexen teeth running along the last fork spear!
This piece of crap will probabbly get stepped on before I even get to Monson. Oh well, I'll get to saw beef jerky for a couple weeks anyway..

*Sporkers come forth, stand up for your right to spork!

Hana_Hanger
04-07-2006, 04:11
LOL ....well according to Light My Fire it is not called a Spork but a Foon

Mine is Red...did not see Yellow offered :( and already own a Vargo Titanium Blue Spork sooooo Red it was.

I think I like it better than my spork...or course my spork could become my new trowel. Plus it does not melt or deform like Lexan in hot or boiling water :)

May all Foons Unite!!! (NO I did not say Fools) ;P lol
Did you check out the New Light my Fire Cup?
Does anyone have one of those yet???

gdwelker
04-07-2006, 07:52
I got a titanium spork as a gift last year - before that I used a lexan spoon, and didn't think I needed a spork - still don't. However, I started taking it to be able to say I was using it and have found a number of other uses for it as well. Being metal, I've used it as a pot lid lifter, stove tender - putting simmer rings on/off the alcohol stove, as a way to get through that indestructable plastic packaging that some food comes wrapped in, etc. I have also used it as a screwdriver.

Anyone else have some alternate uses for them? I haven't had to use it as a tent stake yet.....

GDW
http://mysite.verizon.net/gdwelker/

Hanger
04-07-2006, 08:25
I too have a red one. I really like mine, and I haven't had any trouble packing it. While I haven't used it to its full potential, I still like having the options it offers avaiable to me just in case.

Foon, I like that. I've been calling it a Spfife.:cool:

Jaybird
04-07-2006, 08:41
Anyone use the LIGHT MY FIRE SPORK????..........
Just curious :-?

SPIFFY lookin' colors!

i'll stay w/ my TI Spork...thanks! :D

section-hikin' PEARISBURG-GLASGOW APR 22-May 3 (w/ "Jigsaw")

Lone Wolf
04-07-2006, 08:46
$4 for a friggin spoon. How ridiculous.

fivefour
04-07-2006, 08:53
both the cup and the foon look interesting. and cheap enough that i would not kick myself if i didn't use either that often.

fivefour
04-07-2006, 08:54
$4 for a friggin spoon. How ridiculous.

they are cheaper at campmor ...

Lone Wolf
04-07-2006, 09:02
they are cheaper at campmor ...
$2.75 + shipping. Still way overpriced.

neo
04-07-2006, 12:26
$2.75 + shipping. Still way overpriced.

:D almost $ 7.00 bucks counting shipping,i bet they sell alot of them:cool: neo

neo
04-07-2006, 12:29
here is a link to thier website:cool: neo

http://lightmyfireusa.com/spork.html

hauptman
04-07-2006, 12:40
Just picked one up at REI!!! Awesome looking utensil. Was on sale for $2.50 in store so no shipping. Can not wait to try it out.

Lanthar Mandragoran
04-07-2006, 12:42
GSI, unfortunately, has uses the term Foon (http://www.basegear.com/gsipiranhafoon.html) differently

Hana_Hanger
04-07-2006, 20:45
I bet that is why on Campmor they call GSI a Spork and the Light my Fire one a Foon.

Great thank you for that link...on sale thes make great gifts :)

Mouse
04-07-2006, 21:00
LOL!

When I read the subject heading my first guess was that it was made of magnesium with a sparker on the handle so you could use for a magnesium firestarter.
:banana

jasonklass
04-07-2006, 22:15
Anyone use the Light My Fire Spork (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/light_my_fire_spork.html)? Just curious :-?

I've got one and it's not my favorite. I'll send it to you at no charge if you want it. Just pay for the shipping. If I put it in an envelope it would be a deal. PM me if you're interested.

mitsllor2
04-15-2006, 12:19
I've got a few of them and they work great! Finally a reasonably priced spork...its lighter than the titanium ones.

erichlf
04-15-2006, 17:11
I do, but I wish it was a bit smaller.

jasonklass
04-17-2006, 15:10
For me, the tines of the fork and the depth of the spoon pick up food well. I just like the way it fits into the hand. The curve isn't very ergonomic.

Cuffs
06-05-2006, 14:42
They're getting even cheaper!

http://cgi.ebay.com/REVOLUTIONARY-SPORK-Spoon-Fork-Knife-Camping-Picnic_W0QQitemZ8822195208QQihZ005QQcategoryZ2020Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem