PDA

View Full Version : Help! From a New Englander.

JackofalltradeS
04-07-2006, 08:24
Alright, so my deal: i want to hike the AT. Ha, no kidding you say. i won't be doing the whole thing. i live in Massachusetts and go to college close to where the AT and Interstate 90 cross, so shall be starting there around June 1st and targetting around 15 miles a day, hopefully.
My dilemma: None of my loved ones want me to walk alone and i have no friend's who can come with me to Maine. Is there anyone doing something similar that wouldn't mind me tagging along with them or meeting up with them somewhere alone the way. Even if i can meet up and be with some hikers most of the way, i feel like it would ease their minds considerably. Or even anyone with information to calm the mind's of those who worry about me. OR is hiking alone actually such a bad idea but i'm just being stubborn because i reeeeally want to go.
Thank you WhiteBlaze and thanks to those who have any information to offer, i appreciate it all.

Lone Wolf
04-07-2006, 08:28
If you're over 18 it doesn't matter what loved ones say. It's your choice. Hiking alone is safe.

hobbit
04-07-2006, 08:29
OR is hiking alone actually such a bad idea but i'm just being stubborn because i reeeeally want to go.

no way jose hiking alone isn't a bad idea and just tell your family who are worried about you that you'll be fine and throw some crazy statistics at them or just tell them that you'll be fine and that hikers all look out for each other and other happy fuzzy stuff!!!! i'd go with you but i need to work to get money to go to college in september :(

have an awesome hike!!!!!

JackofalltradeS
04-07-2006, 08:46
i study law, i know that over 18 means you have the legal right to make your own decisions but it doesn't mean that as a human i don't care if my mom would be worried sick for over a month, and trust me, she would be; even though i feel it's over nothing, there isn't much else i, alone, could say to calm her nerves. So i came to WhiteBlaze for help, not legal advice.
But yes, i've told her it is actually a pretty tight group that hikes and i have recently read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Byson and some of the things he told of were reassuring, but i would love to throw some recent "crazy statistics at them". Thank you for the input thus far though, did not expect my post to be read so quickly.

StarLyte
04-07-2006, 09:12
If you're over 18 it doesn't matter what loved ones say. It's your choice. Hiking alone is safe.
Hey Lone Wolf-are you still out there hiking?
Marsha

Chef2000
04-07-2006, 09:15
Bring your mom to the AT in MA sometime in MAy or June, let her meet some of the types of people who hike. Hook her up with the AMC Berkshire chapter and volunteer for a days worth of trail maintenance, give her a chance to see what its all about. I am going out Sunday in Beckett to do some maintenace in October Mt state Forest, if anyone would care to help.

If these are not options I am heading Northbound from MA rte 2 on or about June 19 except I am hiking the Long Trail

Kerosene
04-07-2006, 09:31
You might want to check out these threads related to hiking solo:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11575

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10422

Jaybird
04-07-2006, 09:32
Alright, so my deal: i want to hike the AT. Ha, no kidding you say. i won't be doing the whole thing. i live in Massachusetts and go to college close to where the AT and Interstate 90 cross, so shall be starting there around June 1st and targetting around 15 miles a day, hopefully. My dilemma: None of my loved ones want me to walk alone and i have no friend's who can come with me to Maine. Is there anyone doing something similar that wouldn't mind me tagging along with them or meeting up with them somewhere alone the way. Even if i can meet up and be with some hikers most of the way, i feel like it would ease their minds considerably. Or even anyone with information to calm the mind's of those who worry about me. OR is hiking alone actually such a bad idea but i'm just being stubborn because i reeeeally want to go. Thank you WhiteBlaze and thanks to those who have any information to offer, i appreciate it all.

Yo Jack...

you can get a hikin' partner or NOT...your choice...but, i can guarantee you one thing...you wont go too far without seeing a hiker or two in the timeframe you're talking about.

My wife worried about me being "alone" on the trail (i section-hike each April-May) ...i came onto WB, here, & found a new hike partner...

but, again...i've never hiked more than a mile or two without seeing another hiker...& have hiked "with them" for a day or two in most occassions...

Section-hikin' PEARISBURG-GLASGOW,VA APR 22-MAY 3 (w/ "Jigsaw")

Lone Wolf
04-07-2006, 09:38
Hey Lone Wolf-are you still out there hiking?
Marsha
Nope. Back home. WAY too crowded down south.

vipahman
04-07-2006, 10:19
i study law, i know that over 18 means you have the legal right to make your own decisions but it doesn't mean that as a human i don't care if my mom would be worried sick for over a month, and trust me, she would be; even though i feel it's over nothing, there isn't much else i, alone, could say to calm her nerves. So i came to WhiteBlaze for help, not legal advice.
Well said. Introduce your ma to whiteblaze.net. That should relieve her some. Take a few solo one day hikes. Try one with your mom (no kidding). Then move to a couple of solo overnighters. That should relieve her stress gently. And then go for the big one. Or you could just ask her to resupply you every week. That sure beats all the planning.:sun

weary
04-07-2006, 10:44
Alright, so my deal: i want to hike the AT. Ha, no kidding you say. i won't be doing the whole thing. i live in Massachusetts and go to college close to where the AT and Interstate 90 cross, so shall be starting there around June 1st and targetting around 15 miles a day, hopefully.
My dilemma: None of my loved ones want me to walk alone and i have no friend's who can come with me to Maine. Is there anyone doing something similar that wouldn't mind me tagging along with them or meeting up with them somewhere alone the way. Even if i can meet up and be with some hikers most of the way, i feel like it would ease their minds considerably. Or even anyone with information to calm the mind's of those who worry about me. OR is hiking alone actually such a bad idea but i'm just being stubborn because i reeeeally want to go.
Thank you WhiteBlaze and thanks to those who have any information to offer, i appreciate it all.
You won't be alone unless you deliberately choose to be. Every shelter and every campsite will almost certainly have other friendly folks there, all willing to assist should help be needed. The trail truly is a safe and friendly place.

While actually hiking between camping stops, people will be wandering by in both directions -- sometimes you may think too many people -- but almost all will be friendly and helpful to any hiker that for some reason needs help.

When I walked north as a 64-year-old a few years ago, I was fascinated by the variety of ages and backgrounds of the hikers I met. I took to asking those who were hiking alone -- as I was -- if they had ever felt threatened while on the trail. The answer was invariably "no."

Weary GA-ME '93

kevin
04-07-2006, 21:45
Yo Jack...

but, again...i've never hiked more than a mile or two without seeing another hiker...& have hiked "with them" for a day or two in most occassions...

Section-hikin' PEARISBURG-GLASGOW,VA APR 22-MAY 3 (w/ "Jigsaw")

First, let me join the chorus in saying that hiking the AT solo is pretty safe and that you really aren't by yourself out there. However, let me also add that one of the biggest differences between my expectations vs reality on the AT was the lack of people AT TIMES. When I started from Amicalola, I found pretty steady groups of people through Neels Gap which fit Jaybirds comment of never hiking more than a mile or two without seeing another hiker. However, there were other stretches up through the NOC (early June) where I felt like I had the trail pretty much to myself -- two nights in a row with a shelter to myself and one time where I went saw 1 person in a day-and-a-half. I'm sure there were people a couple hours ahead/behind me, so if a problem happened it wouldn't have taken a day to get help, but SOMETIMES you can find at least the illusion of solitude for more than a mile or two. Of course there have been other times where you see several people within a 1-2 mile stretch.

Askus3
04-10-2006, 05:22
Here is another idea! You say you are a student - OK so you are leaving northbound North Adams around May 20 - OK. Look at our threads and see where northbounders are around May 1. You will see some of the advanced thru-hikers are probably in NY by then! So you say you are hiking with them. Maybe on Mothers Day take your Mom out for a ride to CT and try and meet them. Here are the new friends I will be hiking with! Then you hook up in the Berkshires and off you go. Start looking in Trail Journals and e-mail the lead northbounders. Ask if they want some company for the remainder of their jouney to the Big K. So do some homework and you'll be fine and you wouldn't be hiking alone as the lead pack of northbounders will be right in your backyard by the time you are done with finals!

weary
04-10-2006, 09:10
.....Start looking in Trail Journals and e-mail the lead northbounders. Ask if they want some company for the remainder of their jouney to the Big K. So do some homework and you'll be fine and you wouldn't be hiking alone as the lead pack of northbounders will be right in your backyard by the time you are done with finals!
Maybe. But I doubt if anyone will find thru hikers that are fast enough to be already in New England in May who will be anxious for a newcomer companion.

I was far from being a fast hiker. But people from home with far more hiking experience over the years than I had had still found it difficult to keep up. Practice and train all you want, but in the end nothing gets one in better shape for the AT than walking north for a thousand miles or more.

Weary

two-step
04-11-2006, 00:27
Hey,

I plan on southbounding from Williamstown, MA around the same time. email me @ [email protected] or (preferrably) the address that I sent to you earlier.

two-step