PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut

Steveman434
04-07-2006, 09:02
I hope that this is the right forum, but anyway...

Our crew, Crew 41 Bound Brook NJ, is heading out on Saturday to section hike the Connecticut AT. Anyone have any insight on the trail? Dumb question I know being that this is a A forum, but, have any idea on the weather, trail towns, anything along those lines?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Sticks

Cookerhiker
04-07-2006, 09:06

Our crew, Crew 41 Bound Brook NJ, is heading out on Saturday to section hike the Connecticut AT. Anyone have any insight on the trail? Dumb question I know being that this is a A forum, but, have any idea on the weather, trail towns, anything along those lines?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Sticks

I have a friend who's also starting a section hike (longer term than your's) in Connecticut heading from Kent north. Based on the weather forecast, if I were you, I'd put it off a day. I believe Saturday rains all day but then the weather turns nice Sunday.

Steveman434
04-07-2006, 09:17
Thanks.
Man-O-Man, the rain always ruins everything...
I will have to talk to Mr. Leader. (Not his real name, ha.)
But then again, What is a little rain going to hurt?

longshank
04-07-2006, 10:45
As far as towns go, Kent is alright, Salisbury is better. The White Hart Inn makes a mean burger and offers hiker discounts if you want to stay over and recharge. The breakfast is awsome.

Kevin A. Boyce
04-07-2006, 11:21
I just did the section of West Cornwall Rd South to Rte341, my friends continued to Bulls Bridge as a long day hike on Sunday. 16+mi for me, 25+/- for them.

Overall the trail conditions are fine, blazes overall in good condition, at least heading SOBO, only a few areas of concern but nothing major. Water was plentiful at most larger springs and streams. Many smaller springs seemed to be dried out, we have not had much rain in this area, but if your from NJ, you know that.

If you plan to stay at the Silver Hill campsite, bring water with you. There were a few signs along River Road that said the pump was busted, and you will be carry your water in. There were no signs heading SOBO that stated this. There are two nice springs just up from River Road heading NOBO to Silver Hill, I treated water from one, it was running very well.

The trail on the North side of Silver Hill was a bit tricky going up, becareful if you are heading down that way. There was some slick spots and mud, and that is a steep slope heading down to CT4/Guinea Brook/Old Sharon Rd.

As for areas south of Rte341, my friends said that there were some blazes that were a bit hard to read, and since not too many people have been out, the treadway was not as pronounced. They got mixed up a few times, but nothing too serious.

I noticed that Back Country Outfitters was really lacking in their equipment/footwear stocks, a fair amount of fru-fru clothes though... I hope that they are just awaiting their Spring/Summer stock to come in, otherwise, avoid it unless you really need something there.

Overall the trail is good condition, no major blowdowns or anything unexpected. No need to worry about any ice/snow, etc...

Enjoy yourselves!
KevBoy

Cookerhiker
04-07-2006, 12:42
And let me add that if you're hiking northbound, the descent down St. Johns' Ledges is a bear!

Cookerhiker
04-07-2006, 12:43
Also, Kevin you mentioned Guinea Brook and the steep slope. Can you rock-hop across the brook at this point? This winter, the only way across was shimmying across an ice-encrusted log (I assume the ice is gone!).

Steveman434
04-07-2006, 13:31
Thanks fellow WBer's. We will be hiking SOBO by the way. Thanks again.

Kevin A. Boyce
04-07-2006, 13:34
Yes, the other day it was no problem rock hopping across Guinea Brook... In fact I did not even notice a log to use. There were two sets of rocks you could use, must be the NOBO and SOBO lanes... :)

The Solemates
04-07-2006, 14:00

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Sticks

are you a boy scout group?

Cookerhiker
04-07-2006, 14:00
Thanks fellow WBer's. We will be hiking SOBO by the way. Thanks again.

Have fun ascending St. Johns' Ledges:rolleyes:

Cookerhiker
04-07-2006, 14:05
Yes, the other day it was no problem rock hopping across Guinea Brook... In fact I did not even notice a log to use. There were two sets of rocks you could use, must be the NOBO and SOBO lanes... :)

That's good to know - quite a contrast from last January. Check out my photo of Deb shimmying across in the "Trails & Blazes in Connecticut" gallery. The reason we couldn't rock-hop was the rocks were all ice-covered themselves.

Steveman434
04-07-2006, 18:45
are you a boy scout group?

Well, we are a Venture Crew, "sister" group of Scouts, older scouts only (YESSSS!). We are very active, and have section hiked NJ, CT (tomorrow), and NY is planned for the summer, along with many weekend excusions.

Tin Man
04-07-2006, 22:03
Have fun ascending St. Johns' Ledges:rolleyes:

Living nearby, I have been up and down St. John's many times - ain't nothing compared to VT or NH.

Steveman434
04-07-2006, 22:14
AHHH!!! You're scaring me!!

Steveman434
04-07-2006, 22:14
Living nearby, I have been up and down St. John's many times - ain't nothing compared to VT or NH.

AHHH!!! Youo're scaring me!!!

Tin Man
04-08-2006, 08:02
AHHH!!! Youo're scaring me!!!

LOL. I will grant you it is a steep bolder climb from the north, however it is short. Nothing to get worked up about.

sleepwalker
04-08-2006, 09:11
I just got back from CT. I only did a short hike though, Rt55 north to Kent. Conditions were great on the trail and the hiking was really easy. Slackpacking at it's finest! Lonely hike though...I think I was the only human on the CT AT, lot of turkeys though.