PDA

View Full Version : Bar/place near Neels gap that has UFC?

roamin'
04-07-2006, 09:27
Crazy question but I have to ask. I am a big fan of UFC (ultimate fighting championship) and it so happens there is a pay per view on 4/15/06 However I am section hiking in Ga on that date. It won't kill me to miss it but I would love to stop in a town that would have it playing.
Does anyone have any ideas of a place between springer and Neels that I could get off the trail and hike or taxi to a bar that orders the fights?
I usually go to Hooters or the winghouse to see these, anything like that out there?
Thanks for any info

tech30528
04-09-2006, 13:04
I would try to get a ride to Helen, Ga. Head south on 129, then east on 75. I live near this junction in Cleveland, Ga. Unfortunately, this is a dry county with the exception of the town of Helen, which is a Bavarian village that used to be a logging town but is now all tourism. There are lots of good places to eat and grab a beer. Try Paul's Steakhouse, Big Daddy's or the Troll tavern to see who will have UFC playing. There is another place too, used to be Cannibals, can't remember the new name of the place. Margeritta's and the local pizza joint both have decks right on the river, and may have it on. Look in to it, and leave me a message. My wife works at the Hampton Inn in Helen, and we get discounted rated there for hikers. You can also pick up the trail 8 miles north of town at Unicoi gap. Also try the guys at the Hiawassee Inn. They cater to hikers, and provide shuttle services. There should be plenty of places in Hiawassee to catch the fights, and the Hiawassee Inn is probably the best hostel you will ever visit.

Farmer
04-12-2006, 20:42
As already stated, Helen will be your best bet, but still probably "iffy."