PDA

View Full Version : Lightest waterproof/DWR jacket.

vipahman
04-07-2006, 11:00
What is the lightest waterproof/DWR jacket with hood? I currently use a 14 oz Columbia waterproof shell which works with my layering system from 70 degrees to 0 degrees.

Footslogger
04-07-2006, 11:09
Lots of things lighter than 14oz. Take a look at a Frogg Togg top (approx 8oz).

'Slogger

chicote
04-07-2006, 11:55
Apparently The North Face Diad is around 8oz also but much much more expensive than the frogg toggs - but I bet it'll last longer.

mingo
04-07-2006, 13:08
dri ducks -- 5 oz

boarstone
04-07-2006, 16:07
:sun
What is the lightest waterproof/DWR jacket with hood? I currently use a 14 oz Columbia waterproof shell which works with my layering system from 70 degrees to 0 degrees.

Check out sierradtradingpost.com currently in bargin barn have rain jackets, waterproof/hooded for both men and women for 14.95 plus $6 shipping. Enter product # 44637 in search box.

Whistler
04-08-2006, 02:20
The polypropylene DriDucks or Propore jackets are 5oz-ish. For regular fabrics, the lightest I can think of are the Outdoor Research Zealot, Patagonia Specter, Marmot Essence, Montane 180, and Integral Designs eVent jacket, all in the 6-9oz range. GoLite has their Virga rain jacket projected for 6oz, but customer service says it's not due until fall.
-Mark

Heater
04-08-2006, 05:12
REI has the Marmot Oracle Jacket on sale for $99. (reg $150) It is a little heavy at 18 oz but I might get one anyway for around town because they are really nice.

I have Frogg Toggs for lightweight rain gear. Very lightweight.

MedicineMan
04-08-2006, 06:52
excellent jacket.

Kerosene
04-08-2006, 10:02
Don't think that a DWR-treated jacket will be sufficient for the AT. DWR stands for Durable Water Repellency; it will keep you dry in a light sprinkle but will wet through in a downpour. Also, water repellency can diminish as the fabric gets worn or dirty, although it can usually be restored with something like McNett's ReviveX (http://mcnett.baron-co.com/page.cfm?pageID=568). If you can't decide whether or not to walk in rainpants, you might consider a pair of DWR-treated wind pants like those from MontBell (2 oz).

erichlf
04-08-2006, 22:21
http://www.golitestore.com/store/NS_proddetail.asp?number=AU1111
Golite ether weighs 3.5oz.

MedicineMan
04-08-2006, 22:27
i've used the Patagonia Dragonfly for several years, good for slackpacking when you know you'll be warm and dry at night but eventually it and the Ether will wetout.

erichlf
04-08-2006, 23:47
Yeah, I just realized waterproof was a requirement. I just don't think of DWR as waterproof since it is Durable Water Resistant.

Wings
04-09-2006, 01:14
Patagonia Specter Pullover 6.5 oz. I own the specter jacket (7 oz) and it is sweet. My friend has the pullover and took it w/ him on the AT last summer and he loved it. We sell these at my work and they are pretty much the best thing I have seen out there; the only thing is they are horribly expensive (pullover-$225, Jacket-$250). But as far as a real jacket (I don't care what you say Frog Togs don't count) I think it is the lightest available.

Heater
04-09-2006, 02:23
But as far as a real jacket (I don't care what you say Frog Togs don't count) I think it is the lightest available.

Why? What makes Frogg Toggs not a "real jacket." :-?

They are within a couple of ounces of being the lightest, most waterproof pieces of raingear available. Very stylish too! :D

Footslogger
04-09-2006, 10:08
Here's something to consider about Frogg Toggs. The fabric does not "soak out" and get heavier.

I make this point because in 2003 we got a lot of rain. NO ...let me restate that ...we got A LOT of rain !! I started off with a light weight laminate rain coat made by Sierra Designs (PeakBagger). Nice jacket but after about 2 - 3 days of non stop rain the outer nylon layer actually became saturated with water. The jacket got heavier (considerably so) and would not dry. Yes, nylon is hydrophobic (does not absorb water) however the water actually gets trapped between the fibers and then the suface tension principle takes over.

Long story short, the material used in FroggToggs does not absorb water. It puddles on the surface and runs off or is easily shaken off. About the only part of a FroggTogg that retains moisture is the elastic in the wrist hem.

Anyhew ...that's my experience and I would suggest that be considered when choosing a raincoat. About the only thing that's lighter and doesn't soak out is silnylon. Problem with those is that in warm/wet weather they can become sauna's. I know because I own them too. Out here, where the humidity is relatively low, the silnylon type coats work really well.

'Slogger

Franco
04-10-2006, 09:38
Have a look at this one, 8oz, fully waterproof (not just DWR) and to me at least as breathable as Packlite. I kept dry under it over several days of intermittent showers and I was dry after a one hour walk during a torrential summer storm, buckets of water and 28c /82f.
Franco

bulldog49
04-10-2006, 09:59
http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&cgrfnbr=366077&sku=83771&ws=false&promo_cat=&promo_cat_id=

The 6.5 oz Spectra Pullover is the lightest I've seen.