PDA

View Full Version : Weather in Maine? Late June.

tsali
04-07-2006, 11:40
Just wondering how to pack for maine. How is the weather up there in june? Just wondered if I will be needing any lite winter gear. Thanks

woodsy
04-07-2006, 12:49
As the old saying goes: If you don't like the weather in Maine....wait a minute. The weather can change rapidly, especially in the mountains.
In late June you'll be on the verge of summer here but I have had a woodstove going in July before. cool, rainy day. It's hard telling from year to year.

TJ aka Teej
04-07-2006, 14:24
Just wondered if I will be needing any lite winter gear.
Good question. The answer's Yes. The nights can dip below 50 and the mountain tops can be 40 degrees cooler than the valleys. Bring a micro-fleece top and hat, long sleeves and pants. When it gets cold, just layer up. Fun fact: It has snowed on each calendar day, including on the 4th of July, on Mount Washington in NH. No weather station on Katahdin, but it's probably true there too.

Moxie00
04-07-2006, 17:23
Bring warm clothing anytime for Maine. I remember guiding on the Penobscot River in August when on a rainy day it got into the 30's.
I've found ice on my waterbottle on the Alagash in early September.
In June you will be catching the end of Black Fly season and around the timberline you may find some snow BUT there are beautiful days, most of them will be warm and pleasant. The scenery is spectular and by late June the water levels of the streams and rivers will be going down. Alot of our water crossings don't have bridges because the winter ice takes them out as fast as we can build them so prepare to ford. Mostly the weather will be pleasant BUT be prepared in case it turns on you. I hike year round in Maine and I never even go on a day hike without a fleese top and hat, froggs toggs tops and bottoms. The weather can turn in a hour here. Bring fly dope, best with deet.

Peaks
04-07-2006, 20:24
Late June? I know there are only 2 seasons in Maine: Winter and July. But I wouldn't expect winter conditions. I would expect cool weather. So, bring the fleece top, one pair of long pants, hat, etc.

tsali
04-07-2006, 23:11
Thanks for the info.

Now all that is left is to reserve a place at Baxter.

See you all out there.