PDA

View Full Version : light weight hammock pad suggestions

hammock engineer
04-07-2006, 15:01
I am looking for a light weight pad to take with me this year. I am only going to use it in the hammock when it is cold. Otherwise I will be using it to sit/stand on. Right now I have a cheap cc pad that rolls up that I am not very happy with. I am looking for something that stays flat when unrolled, or folds up. I do not really want anything that inflates since I am going to stand on sit on it a lot.

No egg crate or open foam suggestions please. I am going to attach it to the outside of my pack, so it needs to be waterproof.

Any suggestions? Also what is the thinnest cc pad that you have used in cold temps? I have unsuccessfully tried the windshield reflectors, so those are out.

Just Jeff
04-07-2006, 15:54
Try a ridgerest - they fold up instead of roll.

Or you can just fold a CCF pad instead of rolling it. Fold it to the dimensions you like, then set something heavy on it for a few days - bunch of books or something. That may help it keeps its shape and keep it from rolling up.

Hana_Hanger
04-07-2006, 20:30
Do you need a full length pad?
If not like Jeff suggested
Campmor has this one they are offering...looks like it would be just big enough to place at the small of your back where the most cold spot would be

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39202002&memberId=12500226

peter_pan
04-08-2006, 20:29
Try a ridgerest - they fold up instead of roll.

Or you can just fold a CCF pad instead of rolling it. Fold it to the dimensions you like, then set something heavy on it for a few days - bunch of books or something. That may help it keeps its shape and keep it from rolling up.

FWIW, you can score a CCF pad with "v" cuts that go 1/2 way thru and it will then fold like a ridge rest... make any sze you want...get four sides to match the ID of your pack and you will get a rectangular vs round frame for an unframed UL pack...

Pan

Doctari
04-08-2006, 21:41
See my PM.

Big Lots pad, got it for use in my tent, don't really think it will work for that.

Doctari.

stag3
04-09-2006, 00:01
I just got a 3/8 inch pad from Bass Pro Shops. 20x72, 8.7 oz. Cost less than $10.

hammock engineer
04-09-2006, 00:15
Thanks for all the input. I am going to give Doctari's pad a try, if not I have a bass pro shop 15 minutes from my house.

tech30528
04-09-2006, 11:56
I've never used a pad in my HH. For this season, I just ordered a Marmot Atom bag, so I'll be just under 3 lbs for bag and tent. I have considered a pad for colder weather, but considering the wieght of the pad and the bag wieght, doesn't it make more sense to go with the Big Agnes bag with the pocket pad? It seems it would stay in place a lot better, and the bags are lighter since they don't have down in the bottom. In the mean time, maybe I'll pick up a cheap CC to try. I'll be at Clingman's Dome in a couple of weeks...

tailwind105
04-09-2006, 19:56
i"ve only slept in my (cheap byer) hammock 5 times now, but i've been trying different pads that i have around the house, borrow, our bought recently. I've been trying them for the past few weeks in temps from low 30's to mid 50's.

3/4 thermarest ridgerest - temp was high 40's for a low. the pad was to narrow, used my bag as a quilt and still ended up waking up in the middle of the night with the pad on top or me. I did not sweat with this pad thought.

3/8 inch army CCF pad (full length) - temp was mid 30's. The fit good, wasn't to narrow. I slept sound the entire night, till i woke up and found i wicked though my bag and created a wet spot, so in other words, it was to warm.

Egg crate cut to 24"x40" (no CCF pad underneath) - temp was low 50's. The crate was good, just warm enough for the temp. It allowed the bag to wick properly. I think i could get 10 to 15 deg colder and still be warm with it, but any lower would be risky.

hope that helps.

In the next few weeks, i plan on making a Speer's type hammock, with a double bottom for a pad. Ordering an Oware 1/4 pad too, since i didn't think i would need more than that during the months i would use a hammock. Hope it works out better, cause pads so far have been a pain.

titanium_hiker
04-10-2006, 08:35
Is it just me, or are thermarests not as warm as ccf?

Just Jeff
04-10-2006, 10:36
That is correct.

tailwind105
04-10-2006, 20:01
i can't remember where i saw it, or if i even remember it correctly, but i think ...

Thermarest ridgerest is like R value or 1 vs. CCF pad having something like 1.7 or 1.8

Just Jeff
04-10-2006, 20:20
Sounds like Youngblood's chart here: http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

According to his chart:
1" CCF pad has an R-value of 4.3
1" TR Prolite 3 is 2.3
1" TR Ultralite is 2.6

The other TRs are more than 1" thick.