PDA

View Full Version : What reservations should I make before I leave?

lilpuppie
04-07-2006, 18:57
I've just made my KSC reservation today, but I'd rather not wade through the entire AT data book to figure out what other reservations should be made before I leave (so I'm cheating by asking your collective knowledge :). Do any come to mind that need to be done for certain, or that you wish you had done on your hike? Is there a list somewhere? Am I being too paranoid? Thanks!

Inn Keeper
04-07-2006, 19:27
I've just made my KSC reservation today, but I'd rather not wade through the entire AT data book to figure out what other reservations should be made before I leave (so I'm cheating by asking your collective knowledge :). Do any come to mind that need to be done for certain, or that you wish you had done on your hike? Is there a list somewhere? Am I being too paranoid? Thanks!Make a reservation to stop at Haven's Budget Inn of Franklin if no where else.

TJ aka Teej
04-07-2006, 19:33
When you get to Gorham, you might want to reserve a spot in one of the AMC huts. By NH you'll be able to figure out which hut you'll be at when.

veteran
04-07-2006, 19:53
Link:

http://www.hikerhostel.com/hostels/

Peaks
04-07-2006, 19:59
The only reservation that a SOBO needs is Baxter State Park.

Enjoy the hike

weary
04-07-2006, 20:25
The only reservation that a SOBO needs is Baxter State Park. Enjoy the hike
True. But if you have a few extra bucks to spare there is nothing like a couple of reserved nights at the AMC huts through the Whites. Madison, and Lake of the Clouds, especially.

Despite all the negative comments I found the huts both quite pleasant, and a rather unique experience. Working ones way through is usually an option. But after nearly five months on the trail, I felt the need for a bit of luxury.

Weary

Lone Wolf
04-07-2006, 20:32
I've just made my KSC reservation today, but I'd rather not wade through the entire AT data book to figure out what other reservations should be made before I leave (so I'm cheating by asking your collective knowledge :). Do any come to mind that need to be done for certain, or that you wish you had done on your hike? Is there a list somewhere? Am I being too paranoid? Thanks!
Don't make any at all. Just wing it. Always worked for me.

fiddlehead
04-07-2006, 21:30
Reservations usually mean schedules. ARe you sure you want to have to keep to a schedule. I've found that schedules are good things to have when planning your hike, but once you start, throw it away and live for each day.

lilpuppie
04-07-2006, 22:14
I don't like to keep schedules, and i usually don't like to make plans past a very loose I'm-probably-gonna-be-here-around-this-day. I've never done more than a week long backpacking trip, so due to the unfamiliarity I'm unsure of what I need to do. I've been on 3, month-long roadtrips and I never planned much of anything, but it's much easier to find food/water/shelter when you have a car and plenty of retail establishments to choose from (even in the desert, where I was). My main concern with my question about reservations is in my reading I've heard of some people getting into state parks and not having an acceptable place to sleep, or even a place where you could pitch a tent (because of rules in the park) and I'd like to avoid a situation like that if possible. Although it sounds like no one really had any problems with that. Awesome!

RITBlake
04-08-2006, 21:14
Besides BSP, none. no need whatsoever. If you want to reserve a hotel on the trail, just call a few days ahead of time when you are in town. That way you know you can cover the ground and get there in time.