PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bags..

Travel_Girl82
04-08-2006, 02:33
I am currently looking into a MontBell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger #2. Has anyone out there used one of the Super Stretch bags? Or does anyone have suggestions for a comparable bag without the steep price tag? I am a warm sleeper and I tend to move around at night, and I don't want a super snug bag, a little wiggle room would be greatly appreciated. Any advice and/or suggestions? Thanks!

stag3
04-08-2006, 07:18
I looked at the super stretch but decided on the hugger because of weight. Before you buy a Montbell, do some checking on the temp rateing. My #3 is rated at 32 F--I'm really, really cold at 30F. I'll add a quilt for next year. Don't know if your a warm sleeper, but I would get an aditional 10 F warmer bag next time.

Otherwise, a good bag.

DrewNC2005
04-08-2006, 08:25
I just sold a used #2 on here - sorry you missed it. Anyway, I loved the bag and was very happy with its performance with respect to temperature rating and comfort. I was very comfortable in just shorts and a t-shirt down to high 20s and with a midweight pair of long johns you could easily hit the 10-15 degree mark. The stretch system is also amazing - you'll love it. In case you're wondering, I sold my bag not because it wasn't awesome, but because I just didn't sleep in temperatures that cold enough to justify keeping it.

Seeker
04-09-2006, 00:16
I don't want a super snug bag, a little wiggle room would be greatly appreciated. Any advice and/or suggestions? Thanks!

WM makes a bag called the Alpinlite. it's a 20* bag that's a slightly roomier version of their very popular Ultralite model. iirc, it's about 5'' bigger around the chest, a few around the knees, and about the same in the foot. weighs about 4-6 oz more, but you can check the spec chart yourself. the other thing you might look at is a semi-rectangular bag. i wear a fleece hat, even in summer, vs snugging up a mummy bag's hood. can't stand not hearing what's going on around me, even in my sleep. so if you aren't going to use it so much in the winter/late fall/early spring, maybe a semi-rectangular bag is the answer. can't help you on the price though... WM is among the best, and you'll pay for it. but i love my bag (caribou 35*).

hikerjohnd
04-09-2006, 00:34
You might want to look at the Kelty Light Year bags. They have 15* (http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=SleepingBags.ShowProduct&type=sleepingBag&ID=90), 25* (http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=SleepingBags.ShowProduct&type=sleepingBag&ID=46), and 45* (http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=SleepingBags.ShowProduct&type=sleepingBag&ID=45) down bags and they are all roomy and comfortable. I own one of each - definitley worth it - I like to move at night too and this is the first mummy bag I don't feel claustrophobic in.

chicote
04-10-2006, 13:27
My wife and I have the Montbell UL SS Down Hugger #2 haven't had a chance to take it out in the cold but dang!! this thing is comfortable. If you goto Campsaver.com and use "marchmadness" as a coupon code you can save 10% on your total order. Don't know how long that will last but worked yesterday when we ordered some gear from them. Good luck.

peanuts
04-10-2006, 13:57
I purchased UL SS Hugger #2 and I loved it!!!! I am a petite, but ample woman, and its the most comfortable bag I ever slept in...