PDA

View Full Version : NH Section Hiking Schedule

Tin Man
04-08-2006, 08:54
Our six month countdown to our next section has begun where planning becomes serious and a look at our current and longer-term schedule bears review. My brother and I have section hiked from CT to Hanover over the past five years, doing 40-60 miles each year as time permits. We generally schedule our section for the first week of October, give or take a week. We have experienced a dusting of snow in the morning to 80 degrees while hiking. We have been wondering if hiking the Whites the first week of October presents any serious weather issues. Our tentative plan is as follows:

Hanover to Kinsman Notch - first week of October, 2006

Kinsman Notch to Crawford Notch - first week of October, 2007

Crawford Notch to Gorham - first week of October, 2008

We are most concerned about the third leg going over Mt. Washington, etc. We have discussed the possibility that upon arrival there may be postings that several conditions prevail and we may have to turn back - we are adventurous, but not heroic. :) Would there be a much better chance of beating severe weather conditions in mid-September? Or should we plan to go in August or even July? Constructive suggestions are welcome regarding other's experiences. Keep in mind we like to avoid crowds and bugs. Thanks in advance for your input.

Askus3
04-10-2006, 04:38
I have hiked in the Whites from the end of May thru October. The concern I would have about early October is if you are taking advantage of the AMC Huts. If you are using the huts, make sure you know when the above treeline huts close (meaning Greenleaf, Galehead, Lakes & Madison). This might play into your decision. Anytime above treeline and especially from Clinton all the way beyond the summit of Madison, you are prone to nasty weather any month. I personally like mid-September. It is after the summer hiking season (thus quieter), but still pleasant and at least you get 12 hours of daylight, where in Oct. you are down to 11. Summer has three things going against it. 1) bugs (self explanatory) 2) too many tourists (must make reservations well in advance for room in the inn) and when you make reservations you are stuck with dates whether the weather is good or bad. It sucks to hike in the fog from Lakes to Madison and see a bunch of rocks at your feet and the next cairn ahead if you are lucky. 3) great threat of thunderstorms ( you don't want to be up there as a lightning rod!

by the way, other than your summit of Moosilauke, the rest of this years trip is not all that high so you should get by in early Oct. without a problem. Unless a freak early snowstorm hits or a hurricane floods New England like last year. The first week of October is peak foliage up there so you will enjoy that aspect. Happy hiking.