PDA

View Full Version : Urgently need Hiking shoes/boots...

nyushka42
04-08-2006, 12:48
Hi,
I'm starting out a bit later than everyone else, since I'm only going 1/2 way up this year. My hiking shoes that I was planning to take with me were destroyed (long story involving a ticked off brother & a lawn mower). Anyway, I just moved to the Chicago area. The shoes I had I'd bought at LL Bean in Virginia. I hate ordering stuff out of catalogs, because it usually doesn't fit when it gets here. Does anyone know a good, reliable sporting goods/outdoors store in the Chicagoland area that is 1. reasonably priced, 2. easy to get to by public transport? I'm leaving 1st week of May, so I still have a bit of time to break a new pair in.
Thanks!

MOWGLI
04-08-2006, 13:07
REI has 2 stores within 20 miles of Chicago. http://www.rei.com/stores/index.jsp

If you purchase trail runners or a non-leather hiking shoe, break-in is not really necessary.

Good luck. You'll apparently need it if your brother is coming with you.

nyushka42
04-08-2006, 18:33
Thanks so much! Turns out its only 5 miles from me, easy walking distance :-D (walking way too much since becoming unemployed :) )

Seeker
04-08-2006, 23:53
i know my feet are different than yours, but this might help... the best pair of boots i ever owned was a pair of military-looking Hi-Tecs. Black, nylon upper, leather toe and heel, and with a running-shoe-like insole, cushioning, and tread. like a policeman/swat guy would wear. for me, they required almost literally no break-in period... got them soaking wet and wore them dry once or twice, and they worked perfectly... finally wore them out. very comfortable, never a blister... might find them in an army-navy store, or police equipment store. ask a cop.. (s)he'd know.

good luck.

jeepcj258
04-09-2006, 10:42
If you have a sporting goods store around go check out some new balance trail runners. (or just some good sturdy running shoes) I have been hiking in running shoes and trail runners (what ever I have at the time) and love it. My feet have never felt better.

nyushka42
04-10-2006, 02:08
I have a good pair of New Balance cross trainers. I was thinking of taking them & just buying a new pair on the trail if those wore out. Since I'm only doing 800+ miles, maybe I'll do that. (But I will hit the REI for other equipment though.)