PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Digital Camera

hikerjohnd
04-08-2006, 16:31
OK - this is not just another digital camera thread - I have specific requirements that I am looking for.

Small, point and shoot camera, 5+ megapix, MUST run on AAA batteries, MUST use either an SD memory card or a MiniSD card.

I have been looking around and the AAA battery seems to be the hitch. I mainly do not want to carry charging equipent nor do I want to have to carry a bunch of different size spare batteries.

So all you techno folks - Please help! Right now, I am open to anythng (price wise) that meets my requirements.

Cuffs
04-08-2006, 17:00
Check out Polaroid i832. 8MP, SD card, AA batts. I use this as a backup to my SLR body digital camera, and it does quite well.

hikerjohnd
04-08-2006, 17:16
Check out Polaroid i832. 8MP, SD card, AA batts. I use this as a backup to my SLR body digital camera, and it does quite well.

Close, but looking for AAA batts. Thanks!

Footslogger
04-08-2006, 17:20
Pretty sure the AAA batteries are going to be the issue. There are lots of AA battery digital out there (I carried one in 2003) and the rest are proprietary lithium ion powered. The good news is that the proprietary lithium ions are getting better and better all the time. Also ...the chargers are coming down in size and weight (althtough I saw that you didn't want to carry a charger).

If I was buying a digital tomorrow to carry on the trail I would probably go with one of the newer Fuji's. They've got a 5 mpixel model called the V10 that has a 3" LCD. I would go for the larger LCD because then you can be certain you've got a good shot before moving on.

'Slogger

Phreak
04-08-2006, 17:55
I carry the Canon Powershot SD400 but it doesn't use AAA batteries. But it does come with a very compact charger that weighs under 2 ounces and is only 2.5"x2"x3/4". The battery life is incredible if you don't use the digital viewer. Just a suggestion.

Franco
04-08-2006, 18:52
Hi
Apart from some toy cameras, I have only seen the Sony U series (U20/30/40 and 60) that take AAA ( they used Memory Stick). The reason is the low amperage compared to AA, 900 mAh against 2700 mAh.
Franco

doobe01
04-08-2006, 19:08
I carry the Canon Powershot SD400 but it doesn't use AAA batteries. But it does come with a very compact charger that weighs under 2 ounces and is only 2.5"x2"x3/4". The battery life is incredible if you don't use the digital viewer. Just a suggestion.

I will also give my vote to the Canon Powershot SD400. It takes great pictures, compact and esy to use. Like said above the charger is really lite and compact also...Check it out online. I have to 512mb SD cards for it that I will be using to transfer pics to CDs in towns and mailing home.

Kerosene
04-09-2006, 15:15
How long do you intend to be out, and about how many pictures do you think you'll be taking?

If your're planning to be out for months and take hundreds of pictures, one option might be to purchase an extra propietary battery along with the recharger in your bounce box.

hikerjohnd
04-09-2006, 15:20
OK - this is not just another digital camera thread - I have specific requirements that I am looking for.

Small, point and shoot camera, 5+ megapix, MUST run on AAA batteries, MUST use either an SD memory card or a MiniSD card.

I have been looking around and the AAA battery seems to be the hitch. I mainly do not want to carry charging equipent nor do I want to have to carry a bunch of different size spare batteries.

So all you techno folks - Please help! Right now, I am open to anythng (price wise) that meets my requirements.

Must run on AAA batts and use SD card - it is for backpacking in general - so short trips and maybe another thru attempt...

Kerosene
04-09-2006, 15:40
I found that I used less than half of the battery life on my Pentax Optio 5Si (4.5 oz) in 9 days of warm weather hiking with over 100 pictures. I brought an extra battery (about half an ounce but $35) but obviously didn't need it. Obviously you'd have to go with the bounce box idea if you did a thru-hike.

dla
04-09-2006, 16:15
Although Canon has great features/price, they have spotty quality and horrible customer service. In fact, they have a class-action suit against them for problems with their compact camera zoom lenses.

You might be lucky and get a good camera from Canon, or you might not. If not, you'll get screwed by their customer service. That's the Canon way.

Fiddler
04-09-2006, 16:44
Find a AA camera that meets all your other requirements, then get the adapters that let you use AAA's in an AA device. You put the AAA in the adapter, then the adapter in the camera. The adapters allow you to use any smaller battery in any device that calls for a larger battery, from AAA up to D size. I too would like to have a camera as you have described, but I don't think they exist.

papa john
04-09-2006, 17:37
http://www.arguscamera.com/DIGITAL/stat_DC1512.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/12-MP-DIGITAL-CAMERA-4-AAA-NIMH-BATTERIES-CHARGER_W0QQitemZ7602787085
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4072424
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4072425

Just a few that I found using Google.

hikerjohnd
04-09-2006, 18:09
http://www.arguscamera.com/DIGITAL/stat_DC1512.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/12-MP-DIGITAL-CAMERA-4-AAA-NIMH-BATTERIES-CHARGER_W0QQitemZ7602787085
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4072424
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4072425

Just a few that I found using Google.

You are my hero :clap:clap - I have googled everything I could think of - what search terms did you use?

hikerjohnd
04-09-2006, 18:18
Find a AA camera that meets all your other requirements, then get the adapters that let you use AAA's in an AA device. You put the AAA in the adapter, then the adapter in the camera. The adapters allow you to use any smaller battery in any device that calls for a larger battery, from AAA up to D size. I too would like to have a camera as you have described, but I don't think they exist.

I've seen these for converting AA to C or D, but not AAA to AA - do you know where they are sold? Any experience with using a device like this?

Fiddler
04-09-2006, 18:52
I've seen these for converting AA to C or D, but not AAA to AA - do you know where they are sold? Any experience with using a device like this?I've seen them at the local Best Buy but have never used them.

papa john
04-09-2006, 19:22
digital camera AAA batteries

Whiz Kid
04-14-2006, 11:11
I didn't use the nikon S1 on the thru-hike, but i LOVE IT. Not AAA approved but the battery last a while and the recharger is decently lightweight(read:bounce-box) Over 5 MP and the weight is unbeatable, though the price is not.

grrickar
04-14-2006, 11:28
I bought a used Fuji Finepix 2MP camera for my hikes. It has gotten dropped, wet, and still it works. Decent pictures, uses XD memory cards (the smallest card on the market), and the best thing - it uses AA batts. That is a requirement for me. If I am carrying extra batts, they better fit my other devices. I throw a 1GB card in mine, and I have NEVER filled it up. If the camera is broken, stolen, or lost I could care less since I have little money invested. I'd be more upset of my inability to take pics if that happened. A friend of mine took a $1000 Canon on the trail with some fancy lenses, and he fell and the camera quit working. That would be enough to have ruined my hike if that had been me.

hikerjohnd
04-14-2006, 11:46
OK - now I'm mad! I ordered an Argus - the info says 2 AAA batts - it arrives and it takes AA! The store is at least refunding shipping round trip so no major complaints other than misleading product information! I guess I'll keep looking!

hikerjohnd
04-14-2006, 11:48
If I am carrying extra batts, they better fit my other devices.

The very reason I am insistent on AAA batts for the camera. I think at this point I'll just stop taking pics!

grrickar
04-14-2006, 11:57
AAA batts in a camera with a flash do not last long. For that matter neither do the AAs. I have a small River Rock LED flashlight (aluminum) that also uses AA batts. The headlamp is AAAs :( Get lithium batts whatever you do - they buy you more battery life when using a flash.

Weldman
04-15-2006, 13:48
Your better off with AA batteries, you can get 4 AA Lexmar 2000 and charger for about $ 9-15 on sale. I use these in my Minolta Dimage Z20 5 MP and get 150-200 picture and 30% are flash - SD card. Check tri-state camera, I bought my Z20 there.

Mike

hikerjohnd
04-15-2006, 15:28
Your better off with AA batteries...

Well, no, I'm not. I have a GPS that's AAA, an MP3 player that's AAA, and my headlamp is AAA. AAA batteries weigh less than AA - and ounces count. When carrying back-up batteries I do not want to carry several different types. I have made a decision that if it does not run on AAA then it is not going in the pack. Pictures are a luxury, and since I am not a professional photographer, I am not looking for something incredibly fancy. I know a AAA camera means less mega-pixels and in the long run, less pics per set of batts, and I am willing to make that sacrafice - but now my problem is actually finding a camera that uses AAA!

grrickar
04-15-2006, 22:43
Sony made a few that ran off AAA batts:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009X7VE/102-7416751-4485733?v=glance&n=502394

Looks like an older model, but these series of camera took AAAs.

joel137
04-15-2006, 23:40
I'd reconsider the charging equipment issue, my canon elph I bought last year has a very very small charger that is light weight and not bulky, I hiked the charger.

Uncle Silly
04-16-2006, 20:46

And make sure to use lithium AAA's (bring spares; you won't find them at every convenience store) ... use your spent batteries from the camera in your headlamp or other AAA-using things. Your battery life using regular AAA's will really suck.