PDA

View Full Version : hennessy with lows in the 40's

fivefour
04-08-2006, 22:50
i will be in the smokys this coming weekend and according to the weather channel lows will be in the 40's. should i bring my 35degree bag or 0degree bag ?

fivefour
04-08-2006, 22:51
and i will be using a hennessy for the first time.

SteveJ
04-08-2006, 23:37
i will be in the smokys this coming weekend and according to the weather channel lows will be in the 40's. should i bring my 35degree bag or 0degree bag ?

"It all depends!" If you're planning on going with no under-padding (pad, quilt), bring the 0 deg bag - and it may not be enough! If I'm planning on hanging in the 40's, I bring my 22 oz down quilt (~20 deg), and a 11 oz 27 in. wide Target closed cell foam pad. If I had to choose between a 35 deg bag or 0 deg bag, I'd prolly chose the 35, with the pad, and a set of mid-wt long-johns....

Have fun! A couple of years ago I posted a story about my first night hanging over at the yahoo hammocking group - pasted it in below - thought you'd enjoy it!

Hi, all. I'm fairly new to group – I have been lurking for a month or so. I got my first hammock two weeks ago, tried it out last weekend, and thought you'd probably enjoy a few chuckles at my experience/findings…..

I recently took a job in the Baltimore area. My family is still in Atlanta (tough housing market there right now). I go home every-other weekend, but have had plenty of time to do some hiking / backpacking now that I have no family commitments on some weekends (although I'd quickly trade the extra time to get the family together!).

When I moved up, I decided I'd first hike the MD section of the AT. I have been hiking alone, so that means double hiking it, essentially. (Go out, and then come back!). I've day hiked several sections, and now have done 2 overnighters. I'm an old `heavy-weight' slowly transferring to lighter weight. A month or so ago, I hiked Crampton's Gap to Annapolis Rock and back, carrying about 32 lbs. That is down from ~45 lbs a year ago, and 50+ lbs several years ago.

I decided to go the hammock route for 2 reasons: I'm now 45, with 45 yo hips, shoulders, and just don't sleep on the ground that well anymore, even with a full-length TR guidelite. I've read with great interest almost unanimous opinion that hammocks are more comfortable. I also wanted to get rid of the 3.5 – 5 lb tent (depending on whether I `fast-packed' it or not), and came to the conclusion that a hammock is probably the best of both: more comfortable and lighter (but I guess I'm preaching to the choir, huh?)

I got the Hennessey UL backpacker's asym. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago, with upgraded ropes (I weigh about 210, and it's rated to 200). I got the hammock on Thursday before planning to leave on Friday. I had just enough time Thursday night to hang it in a cramped space in the garage, put on the snakeskins, and make sure it would hold me up. I figured I'd just wing it for Friday - try to find a place to put it up before dark...

I put on at Crampton's Gap (near Burkittsville) last Friday night.

It rained all day Friday – the forecast said rain ending in the evening. I left work about 4:00 – drove the hour and a half in a steady shower. I stop for dinner and hang out to see if it will stop raining. It doesn't! The hotel across the street briefly tempts me...

As dark nears, I figure that I'll just go for it – might as well put it up for the first time in the dark in the rain!

I pull into the parking lot at Crampton's Gap in a steady rain at about 6:30. I plan on camping at Crampton's Gap on Friday, hiking down to Harper's Ferry and back to the Garvey Shelter areaon Saturday, then back out Sunday morning for a late afternoon flight for a week out of town. The trip is a reasonable 15 miles on Saturday and 5 on Sunday.

I get my gear together and `saddle up' in the rain. I get to the shelter area as the last of the light disappears. I've assumedthe shelter area will be pretty empty given the amount of rain during the day. I find a Boy Scout troop with about 10 boys, one couple, a group of 4 guys, and that's not counting the shelter full of people.

I find 2 likely looking trees about 20 feet off the trail on a slope away from the various groups. I pull the hammock out of the top of my pack and quickly have it hanging [thanks to Shane's Hennessey knot video :^) ], stake out the fly, and get the blue pad and sleeping bag into the hammock. I pull out a book, my flask of scotch, hang my pack off a tree in its pack cover, and change into some sleeping clothes. I'm able to do all of this in the rain, mostly standing under the tarp / fly, without getting wet. The inside of the hammock is also dry. So far, a success!

I carefully take off my boots standing on my `butt pad,' tie off the boots on the ridgeline of the hammock, hanging through the entry slit. It's supposed to drop down into the low 40's – I really don't want to start the night with wet feet. Little do I know…. I ease up into the hammock, slip back and the pad goes one way while the sleeping bag goes the other! I bounce around until I'm able to get the sleeping bag mostly on the pad, struggle into the sleeping bag (new bag is in order – this one zips on the right – even tougher to get in!). Find my book (at this point, under the pad), my platypus flask with a good single malt (it's now time for a slug!), and settle back. I find the `angle,' but just can't quite get comfortable (remember, this is the first time laying in a camping hammock!).

I take out my contacts and put on my glasses. I take them back off and put them under my shirt so they'll warm up. I wipe off the fog and slip the small saline solution ad contact lens holder in the mesh bag hanging on the ridge line (convenient!), pull out my book and start reading.

I read for a while, and just can't get comfortable. I finally notice that my feet are very close to the end of the hammock. I glance up and see literally feet of hammock material looming above my head. Ah-ha. The head of the hammock is hanging higher than the foot! (The head is hung on the tree on the down-side of the slope).

It's still raining. I unzip the bag, take off my socks (I figure it's too much trouble to put on my boots, and don't want to get my socks wet), and ease out of the hammock. Cold! (low 40's and rain). After slipping the head end of the hammock down 6 inches or so, tripping over the fly tie-out, I manage not to curse as even more water shake out of the small tree the fly is tied to - going down the back of my long-sleeve poly tee. I re-tie the fly, then re-position the pad and sleeping bag, locate my book, flask and water bottle, set down in the hammock, manage to brush most of the leaves and trash off my soaked feet, lay back into the hammock as the blue pad goes one way, the sleeping bag goes the other. I manage to get the pad back under the bag, and can't find a sock. I finally check the ground and see it where it slipped through the entry slit onto the ground.

I grumble. This is fun, right? I can't reach the ground without getting out of the hammock. I try to step down on my butt pad – but it slid down during my last entry. I get out, pick up the sock and start the process over….

Finally get arranged, look up and again see literally feet of hammock material hanging up above my head……

Decide it time for another sip of scotch. Well, make that 2. Might as well have 3 while it's out….

Read for a while. Feet are still uncomfortable. Decide to take another shot at leveling out the hammock.

Refer to a couple of paragraphs above – only I've had several `sips' of scotch by now. As I slip out of the hammock, the blue pad, sleeping bag, book, water bottle and scotch all decide to join me. At least it isn't raining as hard and I manage not to trip over the fly tie-line this time.

Rearrange everything and ease back into the hammock. Manage to get in the sleeping bag with it mostly on the hammock! Blast. Head's still too high! Repeat the process…..

I finally settle back into a level hammock, the bag is mostly on the pad, I'm zipped comfortably in my bag, find the `sweet spot' in the angle, lean back, have another sip of scotch, flip off my light, and start what will be one of my most comfortable nights' sleep ever while camping!

Seeker
04-08-2006, 23:42
the weather channel probably doesn't forecast the 3* change in temp per 1000' elevation gain, so it's probably going to be a big colder. i like 'light', but i'd go with the colder-rated bag.

i encourage your hammocking, but PLEASE try it out at home first... unless you meant this was your first time trying it out in the WOODS... there is a learning curve, and i'd hate for you to be miles from anywhere and have a problem... regardless, make sure you have something under you, like a CCF pad... that's cheap, light, and will keep you plenty warm to that temp. just be aware that the sides will be cold, and if you can add something to insulate your shoulders and knees as well, you'll be warmer. the heavier bag won't solve that issue. wrestling with the pad can be a small challenge, depending on how still you sleep, which is why i like an underquilt most times...

if you get a chance to 'hang' this weekend or later this week, take it... and report any problems and ask for help... we will be glad to help.

good luck.

Seeker
04-08-2006, 23:43
dang... hate when i do that...

"a bit colder''...

stag3
04-08-2006, 23:54
I just did (2 weeks ago) my first cold HH weekend. IMO, the sleeping bag choice is the same as tenting. The reason is that in either case, the bottom of the bag compresses and you have functionally zero bottom insulation. Some WBers might think the wind is more of a factor in the HH, but this is not my experience. Also, I found it much better to use my sleeping bag as a quilt.--getting into the bag is tricky, but gets easier with practice. A full length zipper helps.

Another benefit of the quilt arrangement is it is easier to get away from the sides of the HH. If you compress the bag against the side, instant cold. I used some extra WalMart pads cut to 2 ft by 6 in as side insulation (only needed onthe left side).

For bottom insulation, IMO, the walmart blue egg crate (16 os, open cell, $10 ) is all you will need. This is what I used at 29 deg and stayed warm.

Hve fun--you'll enjoy the HH.

neo
04-09-2006, 00:40
the weather channel probably doesn't forecast the 3* change in temp per 1000' elevation gain, so it's probably going to be a big colder. i like 'light', but i'd go with the colder-rated bag.

i encourage your hammocking, but PLEASE try it out at home first... unless you meant this was your first time trying it out in the WOODS... there is a learning curve, and i'd hate for you to be miles from anywhere and have a problem... regardless, make sure you have something under you, like a CCF pad... that's cheap, light, and will keep you plenty warm to that temp. just be aware that the sides will be cold, and if you can add something to insulate your shoulders and knees as well, you'll be warmer. the heavier bag won't solve that issue. wrestling with the pad can be a small challenge, depending on how still you sleep, which is why i like an underquilt most times...

if you get a chance to 'hang' this weekend or later this week, take it... and report any problems and ask for help... we will be glad to help.

good luck.

in july during day time highs in gatlinberg will be in the 90's
but at clingmansdome it be around 70.it is 50 degree's for average low's
in the summer time.:cool: neo

Just Jeff
04-09-2006, 01:05
If I were camping in those temps, I'd take the light bag with a fleece jacket, silkweight thermal shirt and pants, and watch cap. But I'd have to use some kind of bottom insulation - I almost always use an underquilt at that temp, but a pad can keep you warm, too. Even with a 0 F bag, I wouldn't try it without some sort of dedicated bottom insulation.

YMMV - I think everyone here will recommend you get at least one overnight before you hit the trail, or at least have an easy bail-out plan (or bring a pad so you can tarp it if the hammock doesn't work out).

Enjoy your new toy!

fivefour
04-10-2006, 09:25
you guys talked into bringing my therma-rest in another thread. i packed that last night. one of the guys i am hiking with will have room in his tent if it gets bad, so i am covered there also. i did spend several hours in the hammock friday night with no bag or pad and i did get a bit chilly. it was probably near 60. i could definitely feel the wind stealing my heat however. i got a pretty good idea about what you guys were saying.

hanging the hammock for the first time was odd. i got the knots right the first time and had no problems until the rain fly. the rain fly came with the ropes tied on the wrong corners so that really thru me for a few minutes. i figured out the whole a-sym thing tho and got it up pretty easily. is there an up side of the rain fly ? or does it matter ?

our first day is 13.1 miles but i will be carrying my lightest pack ever and i hope to cover that mileage quickly enough to allow ample time for experimenting our first night. if not, i will do my best and go knocking on my friends door if i can't get comfortable. i know how the weather in the smokys can change in a few minutes so i am glad to have that back up.

another quick question ... do you guys use stakes or do you actually "tie it to a rock" as the instructions on the stuff sack say ?

and one more totally unrelated question. i will be using a camel bak for the first time. how do you guys normally fill those ? it does have the HUGE opening for easy filling but it makes more sense to me to fill it thru the hose hooked directly to the filter. i am sure both ways work fairly easily but i am trying to get an idea from you guys before hand.

fivefour
04-10-2006, 09:32
and thanks

fivefour
04-10-2006, 09:33
and thanks SteveJ ... that was FUNNY !

Just Jeff
04-10-2006, 10:30
is there an up side of the rain fly? or does it matter?
another quick question ... do you guys use stakes or do you actually "tie it to a rock" as the instructions on the stuff sack say ?
i will be using a camel bak for the first time. how do you guys normally fill those?

Good plan to bring the pad and have a backup. That heat loss will be even more pronounced when you're asleep b/c metabolism slows down.

There is an up side to the rain fly. It's waterproof on both sides, but if you put it on upside down the asym shape will make it have gaps over the tie-outs.

I usually bring stakes, but look for brush or trees to tie off to first. I like to tie my tarp and asym tie-outs about waist high when I can.

I left my camelbak for a platypus, but I always look for a small waterfall (a few inches works fine) to fill it with. If there's even a ripple over a rock in the stream or something, you can "create a waterfall" by holding a folded leaf to funnel the water into the bag. That works for bottles too, especially where there's only a trickle of water to begin with.

Otherwise, you can use a dip cup if the water is flat. I think filling with the filter would probably work better, though - but I don't use filters so I don't know the details.

Kerosene
04-10-2006, 11:06
You will certainly need some sort of pad, especially if you don't have an underquilt. Frankly, I would use a pad below 60 degrees without an underquilt.

My issue with temps below 50 is that any part of your body that presses against the side of the hammock (namely your knees or butt if you're a side-sleeper, and perhaps even your heels) will get cold regardless of how much down you have in your bag. At a minimum I would go with an extra wide pad, but I would prefer an underquilt (in which case you could go with the warmer bag and perhaps no pad).