PDA

View Full Version : Most weight someone has lost on a thru?

norub
04-09-2006, 18:10
Just curious. And also if they gained it all back afterwards?

Footslogger
04-09-2006, 19:22
38lbs and Yes ...within 3 months I had gained it all back.

'Slogger

norub
04-09-2006, 23:26
38lbs and Yes ...within 3 months I had gained it all back.

'Slogger
Hey 'Slogger,

Thanks for replying. Were you a bit overweight at the start so the loss was okay, or did you end up way underweight and need to gain some or all of it back to be healthy?

Moxie00
04-10-2006, 08:30
I lost a little over 55 pounds but "bulked up" before I started. (big mistake) I gained about 40 back within a year, I am now slightly overwight and hike 8-10 miles at least three times a week but dayhiking does not take off much weight for me. I was very healthy at the end but way underweight.

hopefulhiker
04-10-2006, 08:38
I lost 60 lbs and gained it all back from last years thru hike.....

Footslogger
04-10-2006, 08:52
Hey 'Slogger,

Thanks for replying. Were you a bit overweight at the start so the loss was okay, or did you end up way underweight and need to gain some or all of it back to be healthy?
==========================
Maybe for my height (5'10") ...but to see me you wouldn't have called me overweight. I just burned through the % body fat and started to cut into lean muscle.

I was 188 when I started and about 156 - 158 by the time I got to Harpers Ferry. I levelled off at that point and that was my weight when I finished.

I did look at tad skinny when I got home but that "look" went away pretty fast. What surprised me was how fast the weight returned.

I hung at that weight from January 2004 until this past January and then finally got fed up. I took a serious look at what and how much I was eating and made some changes. I'n hovering at 168 right now and would like to loose another 6 - 8 lbs.

I've also noticed that I'm falling victim to the shortening effect that comes with age. I've lost about an inch in height over the past 2 years. Either that or I read the scale incorrectly for the first 50 years of my life.

'Slogger

The Solemates
04-10-2006, 10:37
I lost about 40 pounds, and 35 of that was pure muscle, as i lift weights. it took me nearly a year to gain back all the muscle.

Mags
04-10-2006, 11:36
Many of the males on the Magnanti side of the family look like some central casting's idea of dock workers at the Port Authority: short, broad shouldered, barrel chest with thick arms and legs. Throwing a stocking cap on
us and you can picture us unloading a barge.

Long story short, I have inherited this build. If my Dad, his uncle or myself gain weight we look "stocky". In my Dad and great-uncle's case, many years of doing construction and trade work puts quite a bit of muscle even if weight is gained. My Dad's uncle is in his early 80s and still looks like he could kick my butt!

Getting back to thread, I started off the AT at 195. Ouch. Even though I am 5'6", my fighting weigh is about 170 or so.

I finished at 145 lbs! Double ouch. My heavier back and (by AT standards) higher mileage took a toll on the body. I did not zero at all between Delaware Water Gap and Katahdin. Was way too thin..and I felt it.

Kep the weight off for a while when I was back to 170. But, eventually approached high 180s again pre-PCT. (if a bit a more active than pre-PCT, so a little more muscle). Post PCT and pre-CDT, I am very active. I could knock off about five pounds..but well, see the gene pool I have. :)

Post-CDT? Who knows! Look me up in early 2007. Footslogger can see me at the Rockies Ruck and give a full report. ;)

Ender
04-10-2006, 16:51
I gained 15 pounds on my AT hike. Yep, gained.

On my PCT hike, I lost 20 pounds to go down to the level I was at on the AT. Apparently that's the weight my body likes to hike at.

Alligator
04-11-2006, 11:24
I gained 15 pounds on my AT hike. Yep, gained.

Negative weight loss.