PDA

View Full Version : Grandfather Mountain - worth the price of admission?

MOWGLI
04-09-2006, 20:10
I have to travel to Banner Elk, NC tomorrow for a presentation. My talk is at 8:30 PM and I have the afternoon to explore. I am giving some thought to going to Grandfather Mountain for some hiking and to take some photos, but there is a $14 admssion fee.

My question is, should I pay my $14 and spend the afternoon at Grandfather? Or would I be better off exploring the Linville Gorge area?

What would you do if you had 6 hours to kill in the Banner Elk, NC area?

PS: Since I have hiked the AT in the Roan Highlands a couple of times, that does not interest me as an alternative.

Thanks!

Lugnut
04-09-2006, 20:19
My question is, should I pay my $14 and spend the afternoon at Grandfather?

Ask yourself: What would Warren Doyle do? :rolleyes:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself! :D

Hikerhead
04-09-2006, 20:30
If it's a nice day, go to Grandfathers Mtn. See the small but nice zoo, walk across the Mile High Swinging Bridge. And then do the 2 1/2 mile Crest Trail. It's a 5 mile up and back trail. I guarantee you it's the most interesting, fun, kick butt short hike you've ever done.

MOWGLI
04-09-2006, 20:35
If it's a nice day, go to Grandfathers Mtn. See the small but nice zoo, walk across the Mile High Swinging Bridge. And then do the 2 1/2 mile Crest Trail. It's a 5 mile up and back trail. I guarantee you it's the most interesting, fun, kick butt short hike you've ever done.

Sold! That's what I'm going to do. The weather is supposed to be fantastic! Clear and cool.

Thanks Hokey Pkey!

grizzlyadam
04-09-2006, 20:36
instead of paying $14 to get in the gate on highway 221, you could buy a hiking permit (http://www.grandfather.com/nature_walks/rates_and_hiking_permits.php) for $5 from a variety of locations (click on the link for more information) and check out the profile trail. the trailhead is located 0.7 miles north of the intersection with highway 184 and a permit can be purchased from the exxon at the 105/184 intersection.

a three mile hike on the profile trail will get you to the crest zone. from there you can head towards either macrae peak or calloway peak. i would suggest heading to either or both peaks depending on how much time you have.

i would say that if you're in decent hiking shape, the six hours of freetime you have would be more than enough to hike the profile trail.

let me know if you have any questions.

MedicineMan
04-09-2006, 21:15
the hardest 5 mile hike i've ever done was on Grandfather--even harder than going up the Abol Slide and down the Hunt.
$14, it always amazed me that one person could own a whole mountain. I thought mountains were gifts (maybe God's) to everyone but one day I thought of what that one man did, he did have some great forsight into preservation. When you're in the area look for the motel/hotel/condo deal near Sugar Mtn and cringe, then be happy about what Morton did....

MOWGLI
04-09-2006, 21:38
For those not familiar with what I'm talking about - http://www.grandfather.com/. The peak is visibke to the east from the Hump Mountains in the Roan Highlands.

Hikerhead
04-09-2006, 21:48
Take extra film or batteries and stop at the Boone AYCE Family Resturant. This is what the Homeplace wants to be when it grows up. And try to wipe that smile off of your face before you get back home. You don't want the family to think you had TOO much fun. :) Post a trip report when you can.

MedicineMan
04-09-2006, 21:50
after mt. washington??? i think this is correct.

shades of blue
04-09-2006, 22:06
Hawksbill Mt. in the Linville Gorge wilderness is one of the most sacred places in the mountains for me. You can see hawks flying and you have a great view into the gorge. If you take 181 between Morganton and Linville, you will see the access road...it goes into Gingercake acres. Keep to the left until you hit the dirt road, and follow it out to either sitting bear trailhead or Hawksbill mt. trailhead. You can pick up a map at the convinience store where you turn left on 181 (if you're coming from Banner Elk). Grandfather's great, but the gorge area is wilder. It's all good.

MedicineMan
04-09-2006, 22:22
years ago we used to do tablerock in the Linville Gorge area and near there we used to do a hike to a rock formation, we called it sitting bear....its truly an anomaly, a giant spike of granite sticking into the ground seemingly from outer space....do you know of this?

ed bell
04-09-2006, 23:17
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/13716989.htm (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/13716989.htm)
I always thought the wind could really crank up down here, but that's just plain crazy.:cool:

Tha Wookie
04-10-2006, 00:33
instead of paying $14 to get in the gate on highway 221, you could buy a hiking permit (http://www.grandfather.com/nature_walks/rates_and_hiking_permits.php) for $5 from a variety of locations (click on the link for more information) and check out the profile trail. the trailhead is located 0.7 miles north of the intersection with highway 184 and a permit can be purchased from the exxon at the 105/184 intersection.

a three mile hike on the profile trail will get you to the crest zone. from there you can head towards either macrae peak or calloway peak. i would suggest heading to either or both peaks depending on how much time you have.

i would say that if you're in decent hiking shape, the six hours of freetime you have would be more than enough to hike the profile trail.

let me know if you have any questions.

yes this is what I like to do there. Great place -wonderful trail construction in parts!

shades of blue
04-10-2006, 06:56
years ago we used to do tablerock in the Linville Gorge area and near there we used to do a hike to a rock formation, we called it sitting bear....its truly an anomaly, a giant spike of granite sticking into the ground seemingly from outer space....do you know of this?

Sitting Bear is pretty cool too, but Hawksbill is the deal for me. Linville Gorge is just a cool area altogether.

MedicineMan
04-10-2006, 07:05
climbing up inside tubes there--'chimneys' in the Table Rock area....you're right the whole area is fascinating....I just cant remember how to get to Sitting Bear...
Mowgli...Sitting Bear is a namesake of your eh? maybe you need to see it while in the area :)

shades of blue
04-10-2006, 07:36
There are two connections to the "table rock" side of the gorge. One is on the lower end of 181 closer to Morganton. The other one, and the best one for Hawksbill and sitting bear is closer to linville on 181. You'll see a sign that points you toward table rock linville gorge area again. Take that road and the sitting bear trail head will be the first you arrive at. I usually take that trailhead to the ridge (short hike) and take a left toward Hawksbill. If you go right on the trail it leads you to sitting bear.

I can't give really good directions to the other rim of the gorge...I always have to drive it...but from that side, it's easier to hike down into the gorge...you can also go down to linville falls...which is touristy, but still pretty. There's a USFS cabin/visitor center on that FS road, and the last time I was there...an interesting old man for the USFS worked there. You can get permits to camp in the gorge there.

The Solemates
04-10-2006, 10:43
havent been up there in a while...didnt realize you had to pay now. ridiculous. id go to linville gorge since its free and just as nice a view

Tha Wookie
04-10-2006, 11:01
havent been up there in a while...didnt realize you had to pay now. ridiculous. id go to linville gorge since its free and just as nice a view

It's privatley owned. They have to charge to afford not to develop it. They don't get millions from congress. It is worth it to me. Far from "ridiculous"!

shades of blue
04-10-2006, 11:23
The fees vary for Grandfather. You can get a hiking permit for like 5.00 or so (last time I bought one)...or you can get a driving pass that allows you to drive to the top, see the animals and stuff and hike from there. I have a years pass for up there, and I think it's worth it...but Linville Gorge is pretty awesome too and no where near as crowded.

RockyTrail
04-10-2006, 11:38

I first visited Grandfather Mountain in the 1960s and I believe it was a pay site then too because it was privately owned. The same was true for Pilot Mountain near Mt Airy, but some time later the state of NC bought it and it's now a state park with its associated regulations and such. I grew up near there and we used to have glorious Sunday picnics up on Mt Pilot. At least neither site has been turned into condos (yet):( .

On a related note, I heard that Tweetsie Railroad may be shut down in the future so that the land can be sold to developers. The operators don't want it to go, but apprently their lease is up soon and the land owners want the bucks. What a shame, the unique old steam train has been a gem of a treat to kids and families for 50 years. It's not wilderness, but the overall impact is a lot less than a hillside full of condos. Times are a changin'...

The Solemates
04-10-2006, 13:23
I first visited Grandfather Mountain in the 1960s and I believe it was a pay site then too because it was privately owned. The same was true for Pilot Mountain near Mt Airy, but some time later the state of NC bought it and it's now a state park with its associated regulations and such. I grew up near there and we used to have glorious Sunday picnics up on Mt Pilot. At least neither site has been turned into condos (yet):( .

On a related note, I heard that Tweetsie Railroad may be shut down in the future so that the land can be sold to developers. The operators don't want it to go, but apprently their lease is up soon and the land owners want the bucks. What a shame, the unique old steam train has been a gem of a treat to kids and families for 50 years. It's not wilderness, but the overall impact is a lot less than a hillside full of condos. Times are a changin'...

ok, well ive only been there 2-3 times in the past. maybe we did pay and i forgot

RockyTrail
04-10-2006, 15:33
No problem, my memory's not to hot either, I could be mistaken!:confused: :)

MOWGLI
04-10-2006, 18:35
Had a great hike on the Profile Trail. What a day! I just paid the $5 hiking fee. I went up about 3 miles and back. Good stuff! Now I'm chillin' in Monas Cyber Cafe in Banner Elk.

I'll post some pix and provide a more detailed report in a few days.

Thanks everyone.

MedicineMan
04-10-2006, 21:18
following this thread from afar....this area is awesome and worth the effort to visit, like shining rock and others, western carolina has a lot for us.

ed bell
04-11-2006, 00:34
I can understand saving a dollar to avoid paying for something you can get for free (trail access), but to call the user fee of a private preserve like Grandfather Mt. rediculous is just that. I just hope we don't lose more prime high country in the South to development. I'd pay to hike in a lot of places if it helped to preserve more land.:sun

neighbor dave
04-11-2006, 05:41
:-? that's such a beautiful lookin' mountain from hump mtn.too bad they mucked it all up with all the development:eek:

MOWGLI
04-11-2006, 06:02
:-? that's such a beautiful lookin' mountain from hump mtn.too bad they mucked it all up with all the development:eek:

Well they didn't actually "muck it all up." Can't say the same for some of the other ridges in the area however.

MedicineMan
04-11-2006, 06:38
that the state of NC passed a law that severely limits the structures that can be placed atop mountains....

shades of blue
04-11-2006, 07:31
I can see that monstosity from home....it kills me everytime I look near grandfather.

Hikerhead
04-11-2006, 07:39
Had a great hike on the Profile Trail. What a day! I just paid the $5 hiking fee. I went up about 3 miles and back. Good stuff! Now I'm chillin' in Monas Cyber Cafe in Banner Elk.

I'll post some pix and provide a more detailed report in a few days.

Thanks everyone.

Good to hear you had a good hike but you left a lot to come back to see later. The Profile Trail would have been the last on my list to hike. The hike to the top from the Parkway is awesome plus you have the zoo, the bridge and the Crest Trail. At the end of the month I'm bringing two others down to GFM. Sat we're doing the zoo, bridge and slackpacking the Crest Trail then going to load up and overnite it starting from the parkway.

MOWGLI
04-11-2006, 10:05
Good to hear you had a good hike but you left a lot to come back to see later.

Oh well. Turns out that I only ended up with 4 hours to spare. I hadn't written down your recommendation, and when I heard "profile trail", I thought that was it. I'll go back.

One tidbit... As I was getting close to my car, I rounded a bend and there was a large black dog - unaccompanied - in the trail. He started growling at me, but I sensed he was a nice dog. I eventualy coaxed him over to me and we became fast friends. He must live in one of the houses just off the Profile Trail.

As I walked along the trail with my buddy, I couldn't help but think how some folks here @ WB would have overreacted at the initial growling. No names please. :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
04-11-2006, 10:06
that the state of NC passed a law that severely limits the structures that can be placed atop mountains....

Sugar Mtn. Is that what that horrendous structure is called? Egad!! :eek:

MOWGLI
04-11-2006, 10:07
Sugar Mtn. Is that what that horrendous structure is called? Egad!! :eek:

PS: I didn't see the Barkers or the colored balloons, and I sure as hell didn't feel like 19.