PDA

View Full Version : How do I get burnt milk out of a JetBoil?

Just Jeff
04-09-2006, 20:34
I burned some milk pretty good in the bottom of my JetBoil making hot chocolate for the kids. I've tried several things I read on the internet, like boiling water, soaking overnight in dishsoap, etc...it's still there. Help!

Booley
04-09-2006, 21:02
Try a denture cleaner like Efferdent at least overnight. I had a Thermos that had tea stuck in it for a month or so and it was very funky. This seemed to loosen it up inside (hard to get anything in a small 16 oz thermos) enough to do some hot water treatments and get the nasties out. Good site you have...Cheers!

Chris
New River Gorge National River

Alligator
04-09-2006, 21:06
You might consider oven cleaner, but give it some thought first as you don't want to pit it. I don't know what metal the pot is made of.

Or a kitchen (restaurant) degreaser. Careful though, these can be strong too.

hikerjohnd
04-09-2006, 21:37
Just go with steel wool and something abrasive like comet. Maybe a steel brush - oh wait - I've never even seen a jetboil pot - are they teflon coated? Maybe a Dobie pad then - abrasive but safe for non-stick surfaces.

Clark Fork
04-09-2006, 22:27
I burned some milk pretty good in the bottom of my JetBoil making hot chocolate for the kids. I've tried several things I read on the internet, like boiling water, soaking overnight in dishsoap, etc...it's still there. Help!

Just boil it again with white vinegar. It will be as good as new.

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana "Where seldom is heard a discouraging word."

Hana_Hanger
04-09-2006, 22:47
Ditto the WHITE vinegar if not baking soda with a tiny bit of water...try to make it a little pasty...let it sit overnight. Use a soft cloth with a inside scrubby thing to softly rub out the baking soda...that should do it without any damage to your JetBoil

PolarFox
04-09-2006, 23:17
If the milk is burned on, try soaking it in a commercial strength degreaser and take a green scrubby to it, or if it's just a stain, maybe a coffee pot cleaner(many of these work on glass and urn style pots), but make sure you can use it on aluminum. That may work, but these items are a bit pricey. However, if you can still use the thing without food sticking, I wouldn't sweat it.

Just Jeff
04-10-2006, 10:41
Thanks guys...I'll give these a try. I think I may have already scratched the coating trying to scrape some out - I guess I'll find out next time I cook in it! I usually just boil water so it won't be such a big deal.

hiker5
04-10-2006, 11:22
Baking soda with a touch of water. Let it soak for several hours. Then give it a scrub.

Looking back I see Hana_Hanger had the same suggestion. Consider it seconded.

blindeye
04-11-2006, 21:32
white vinegar is the cure.

Just Jeff
04-11-2006, 22:37
Thanks, guys. I got almost all of it out - I think what's left is just stain. It had been soaking in dishsoap for a few days, then I scrubbed it with a plastic scrubby-sponge, then boiled some white vinegar a few times and scrubbed some more, and finished up with more scrubbing with dishsoap. Then I made spaghetti.