PDA

View Full Version : Oh yes, I will cause problems... Cell phone question

SGTdirtman
04-09-2006, 22:06
Regardless of the anti cell phone garbage floating around I have a question. All you anti cell phone people can just ignore this post and move on. This is for the people who carry cell phones on the trail. With that being said I use my cell phone for 2 things, weather reports and to text message my rides because I dont leave my car when I hike. I get dropped off and picked up. I'm not one of those people who has conversations with my buddies while im on the trail.

Anyway how long does your battery last with your cell phone turned off and how do you charge if it you need to? my phone is a motorolla V-276 and normally at home never being turned off it will hold a charge for 3-4 days. Last year I went on a 3 day hike and I left my phone off, turning it on maybe 8 times for weather reports and to check the time, but by the second day it was nearly dead and I have no idea why.

I'm going out for 5-6 days on april 23rd and I'm not stopping for re-supplies, dont plan on going into town at anypoint. But I need my cell phone if for nothing else but to let my ride know where I'm at. Not sure what to do about keeping a full charge for that long?? seems no matter what even with my phone off it drains the battery. :-?

hikerjohnd
04-09-2006, 22:19
What was the temp outside? Cold weather makes my electronics lose their charge - don't know the reasons for that though. Try wrapping phone in something to keep it from getting cold. At night put it in your bag to keep it warm -

Good luck!

saimyoji
04-09-2006, 22:42
I have a Samsung, not sure the model, its really old, came free with the plan 5 years ago. On a full it charge it will last 7 days with no use in standby mode. With it switched off? Don't know, never tried it. I'm guessing you use more battery turning it on/off a couple times a day rather than just leave it in standby mode.

Lilred
04-09-2006, 22:53
Could be a combination of both. Cold weather does drain a battery and turning something off and on does use more juice than leaving it on. What takes more time, sending a text message or just calling? Don't know your texting skills......

LostInSpace
04-09-2006, 22:57
You could put one of these on your hat and hike fast: http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/21/the-micro-windmill-mobile-charger/

Frosty
04-09-2006, 23:20
At home I charge my battery once a week, and leave it on all the time.

On the trail, the longest I went between charges was two weeks. I had it off most of the time, but used it frequently as I was stuck in town sick with my charger already bounced ahead.

Ridge
04-10-2006, 03:46
I set my phone / display to the "power save" settings. I carry a spare battery. The two batteries while keeping the phone off until used, and used for at least 20 mins per day will last 10+ days easily. I keep the batteries in my pocket for warmth.

OutbackHack
04-10-2006, 07:45
There's two big factors that affect the battery life of a cell phone, the temperature of the battery and how much power the phone has to use broadcasting to the cell towers.

The temperature of the battery shouldn't really be a concern on the AT most of the year. Even if a phone with a cold battery won't even turn on, there's a good chance it will work fine once you warm the battery up. There's usually no harm in letting it get cold as long as you are willing to take the time to warm it up before you use it.

The other factor with cell phones in particular is that they use different amounts of power broadcasting depending on the situation. If you're in town or any area with nearby cell towers the phone doesn't use much power at all. But, if you're somewhere with really spotty coverage or no coverage, most phones will sit there broadcasting at full power non-stop in an attempt to find a signal. This is the situation that will make a phone that normally last several days drain the battery in a day or less.

The best solution to make the phone last in the woods is to keep it turned off, but if you think the phone is using power even when it's off, just remove the battery and store it seperate until you need to use it. Another option is to just get a second battery, they're much cheaper than they used to be. I just bought a second battery for this reason, only $15 for a generic Motorola RAZR battery.

starvingmusician
04-10-2006, 10:34
Ditto the comment on carrying a second battery. I keep a charged one in with my spares that I carry. I usually keep my cell phone off (except for that one night I camped next to a freight yard about a mile from a prison) and use it to check in with the Chief periodically. I had to use the spare after about a week on a ten-day trip.

I did see something in Wal-mart the other day called a Cellboost Instant Cell Phone Battery Power (it's disposable - around $6.00). You plug it into your phone's charger port and get instant power while it charges. Don't know how well it works, but here's a review -- http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/cellboost.htm.

I'm thinking about trying one out. Anyone have any experiences with this? (Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread).

Judy

hammock engineer
04-10-2006, 10:47
Someone on an old thread posted this link to a AA powered cell phone charger that looks promising, I have not tried it though.

http://cordlesscellphonecharger.com/main.php?src=overture

vipahman
04-10-2006, 11:02
Some things that affect your battery time:
1. Temperature - the colder it gets, the shorter the battery time. I get around this by keeping the battery (not phone) close to my body and not in the backpack. The same would apply to any other battery too.
2. Standby time - that's straightforward. Get a phone with a higher standby time. They do 15 days (maybe more) these days. I get around this by turning the power off until I need it (which is when I reach my overnight destination or need a ride back home).
3. Signal - Digital signal uses the least battery power, analog uses much more and no signal means the battery works the hardest trying to locate one. The workaround is to stay in digital mode only. If you don't have a digital signal, switch to analog manually. Don't stay in automatic mode.
4. Usage - That's obvious too. The more you use it, the less you'll get out of it. Use it less but you are not a walkie talkie anyway.
5. Age - The older your battery, the lesser it will live up to it's max standby time specification. A newer battery might be the way to go.

If you have a 7-day standby time 4-hour talk time phone, with a good, warm battery, you should get 7-10 days or more assuming the talk time is no more than 5-10 digital minutes per day. Yeah, I know, lots of adjectives.

nyushka42
04-10-2006, 15:23
http://cordlesscellphonecharger.com/...p?src=overture (http://cordlesscellphonecharger.com/main.php?src=overture) ... even though this looks great, I wanted to order it, but it doesn't carry an adapter yet for my kind of phone... and its the most common Samsung out there!!! Guess I have to go buy a spare battery or 2.

snowhoe
04-10-2006, 15:58
just ran into the problem of my phone dying and I just put it in my sleeping bag at night and the cold temps didnt seem to bother it.

Sly
04-10-2006, 19:55
Last year I went on a 3 day hike and I left my phone off, turning it on maybe 8 times for weather reports and to check the time, but by the second day it was nearly dead and I have no idea why.

Forget about the cellphone and it's battery life, buy a cheap Timex and watch the sky. Works for most.

SGTdirtman
04-10-2006, 20:03
Going off topic on my own post, I thought cold batteries lasted longer but it slowed down the output amps...

My dad use to tell me he'd refridgerate D-cell batteries for his flashlight and they would be dimmer but overall they would last longer??

Disney
04-10-2006, 20:39
I would say don't use a second battery, useless weight. If you attempt to keep your phone on all the time it will constantly be searching for a signal. That will drain your battery significantly. Keep it off, turn it on when you need it, when you're at a big overlook or mountaintop. I carried one to appease my mother and kept it off almost the entire time. I charged it up with my maildrops, once a week. It worked fine for me.

Frosty
04-10-2006, 20:48
Keep it off, turn it on when you need it, when you're at a big overlook or mountaintop. One of the nice things is that if anyone calls you while your phone is off, when you do turn it on you can call them back. Even if they don't leave a message, the missed call log will tell you they tried to call, and when.

(It needn't be a mountaintop, BTW. The side of a mountain is fine as long as it faces down into a town.)

rainmaker
04-10-2006, 22:14
We use an older model Nokia and Alltell service. Unit is fine but the service is iffy sometime., especially SW Va. Anyway , to extend battery life I disconnect the battery and keep it in a seperate baggie. At night I store it in my sleeping bag. I turn it on every other day to check for messages. Pick a good spot so you don't waste power.

Freighttrain
04-11-2006, 12:58
you could carry a 12v cigg plug adapter.. they weigh very little. whenever ata hostel, or shuttle, ride , ... just plug it in.

SGTdirtman
04-11-2006, 13:01
you could carry a 12v cigg plug adapter.. they weigh very little. whenever ata hostel, or shuttle, ride , ... just plug it in.

great idea, if It werent for that whole thing I said about not stopping in any towns.

Ender
04-11-2006, 13:35
To save the battery, try taking it out of the phone when not on. Maybe that will make it last longer. It should... chances are even with the phone off it sounds like it's still draining power.

Doctari
04-11-2006, 20:08
To save the battery, try taking it out of the phone when not on. Maybe that will make it last longer. It should... chances are even with the phone off it sounds like it's still draining power.

I agree, for my phone anyway, a finite amount of power goes towards keeping the clock and the calandar current. I won't be carrying one, but if I did, the second batery sounds like a good idea.

Doctari.

Anumber1
04-11-2006, 23:11
mine dies within 4 hours if its on while i have no service/signal. If it has a signal it will last for days, i can even stay up all night playing games. No idea how long it would last if it was turned off.

Lack of signal always kills my battery, plus you can get your phone soaking wet while its off and it will still work as long as you dry it out completely before turning it back on (i literally fell off a cliff into a quarry full of water while at camp with all my clothes + cell phone in pocket.)

JoeHiker
04-12-2006, 14:38
One of the nice things is that if anyone calls you while your phone is off, when you do turn it on you can call them back. Even if they don't leave a message, the missed call log will tell you they tried to call, and when.

I think that depends on who your provider is. I have Verizon and there is no such missed call log. If my phone is not on when I miss a call and they don't leave a message, I'll never know they called.

JoeHiker
04-12-2006, 14:39
The first thing I do when I buy a new cellphone is go to the manufacturer's website and buy the extended-life battery. Almost every manufacturer out there offers an optional, longer-life battery you can buy. In my case it nearly doubles the time.

Deerleg
04-12-2006, 17:22
You could put one of these on your hat and hike fast: http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/21/the-micro-windmill-mobile-charger/

A...OK thats funny :rolleyes: Personal wind generators just think of the possibilities LOL..

woodsy
04-14-2006, 06:00
Y'all gonna be looking some sharp with that mini-wind turbine on your heads, can't wait to see you comming down the trail with that spinning.....
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!!!!

Tramper Al
04-14-2006, 12:53
As a winter hiker who has used a cellphone on occasion, let me just correct a couple of common misconceptions.

First, batteries do not lose charge when cold, they just decrease their output (like playing dead). Warm them up and they are just as before. SGTdirtman's Dad was correct. Never assume a cold battery is dead.

Second, I do not believe it is physically possible for a battery to lose charge within the time frame of days, unless it is in contact with some sort of conducting metal (e.g. installed in the phone). Removed from the phone, or radio, or GPS or whatever, a battery should hold it's charge for the duration of the trip. It sounds like this would work fine for the original poster, with no need to be "on" for incoming calls.

And as a suggestion, perhaps one of those hand crank chargers would be the most elegant of solutions for insuring full cell phone charge on an extended trip. I seem to remember they are fairly light in weight, especially when multiple spare batteries are being consider otherwise.

Hope that helps.

Frosty
04-14-2006, 16:45
TRAMPER AL!!!

Welcome back. We missed you.

Stix
04-18-2006, 19:48
Have you checked out the Sidewinder?

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/sidewinder.htm

SuperTroll
04-19-2006, 11:46
SOLAR POWER RAWKS!

Had to shout that, 'cause NOW, you can TALK all day on the phone, check this out! Geeze, can I bring my DVD player on the AT now?.....

http://www.clearbluehawaii.com/products/adventuregear/solarpac/mana/index.html

Yep, you guessed it, SOLAR PACKS!

Check out the MORE IMAGES link under the photo of the MANA Solar Claw...it has a 12V power connection, 6 Watts of power...

Hey, I NEED this baby...my STEREO uses 12 Volts...

jazilla
04-19-2006, 14:37
Saw something a while back on the tube the five minutes I watch before bed. Something a guy was working on. It was a charger in a shoe. As you walked you charged your phone. The step of your foot kind of works like a piston in your car. Was a cool idea but I don't think it has come out to the open market.

Stix
04-19-2006, 19:52
SOLAR POWER RAWKS!

Had to shout that, 'cause NOW, you can TALK all day on the phone, check this out! Geeze, can I bring my DVD player on the AT now?.....

http://www.clearbluehawaii.com/products/adventuregear/solarpac/mana/index.html

Yep, you guessed it, SOLAR PACKS!

Check out the MORE IMAGES link under the photo of the MANA Solar Claw...it has a 12V power connection, 6 Watts of power...
Hey, I NEED this baby...my STEREO uses 12 Volts...

Solar Power on the A.T.? Yea, ask One Leg Wonder how effective solar power is on the A.T. You might want to reconsider carrying that boat anchor on the trail.

:sun

SuperTroll
04-21-2006, 10:09
Mebbe I shoulda just said: "Look, I'm saying this all, like, tougue in cheek" ya know?......

I was really just gagging at the whole idea of packs with solar panels.....

Tin Man
04-21-2006, 12:38
Here are some solar options...

http://www.21st-century-goods.com/pa.../PROD/COLFLEX5

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060122/BUSINESS/601220357/1003/BUSINESS

http://www.solio.com/html/index.html

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=613