PDA

View Full Version : Flasking it

Travel_Girl82
04-10-2006, 01:23
:sun Anyone out there carry a flask on the trail? I would like to find one that is engravable, lightweight, but still big enough to carry more than a sip. Any suggestions? Websites, gift shops.. anything?

MedicineMan
04-10-2006, 02:26
and Everclear...that way only one bottle for both 'fuels' :)

Alligator
04-10-2006, 09:30
Here's a titanium flask.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/SN3001
Expensive and probably difficult to engrave. Stainless steel or aluminum should be engravable. Here's another cool one that I may just buy if the weight is reasonable. It says that the flask is SS.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGZ456/qid=1144675487/sr=1-70/ref=sr_1_70/102-9424223-0336119?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=3375301&s=sporting-goods&v=glance
Another alternative is to buy a lexan flask. Places like Things Engraved used to sand blast glass mugs, etc. I would imagine that lexan would be just as easy to blast. If you get it done, please report back with a picture. Thanks.

Alligator
04-10-2006, 10:21
Another nice titanium flask but it too doesn't hold much.
http://www.rei.com/product/47947135.htm

Alternatively, a titanium fuel bottle would hold more and cost a little less. But I'm thinking the engravers may pass on it. Anything round is more challenging to begin with.

A 12 oz Nalgene flask. I'd go with this one over the GSI model, my GSI leaked.
http://www.rei.com/product/48016776.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC

The round aluminum 0.6l Sigg bottle weighs 110 grams ~4 oz. These bottles also come with prints, such as here
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/product.asp?s_ID=0&dept_id=10266&pf_id=10025160&ad_id=GoogleBase

Weights here
http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Water_Carriers_110.html

But don't buy this one LOL
http://www.swissbottle.com/bin/category.asp?category=15

I use a platy BTW.

Footslogger
04-10-2006, 10:29
Curious why it needs to be engravable ??

The local liqour store sells 10 and 16 oz plastic flasks with 1oz jigger lids. They weigh about 2 - 3 oz empty. Carried on of the 10 ouncers on my thru in 2003. Worked like a charm.

'Slogger

Travel_Girl82
06-01-2006, 14:32
Thanks everyone, the links and suggestions really helped. Turned out great. Footslogger, it needed to be engravable because it was a commemorative gift for someone starting a thru-hike June 6th. I would add a picture but I forgot to take one before I wrapped it. :p Anyway, thanks again!

SGT Rock
06-01-2006, 15:24
Plastic coke bottle and a paint pen :D

Uncle Silly
06-01-2006, 15:35
Plastic coke bottle and a paint pen

That's the flask I used. Minus the paint pen. (Tho I did use a sharpie to mark the bottle of denatured with the skull-and-crossbones, lest it get mistaken for vodka.)

You know a fifth pretty much fits in a 20-oz bottle, right? :banana

the goat
06-01-2006, 15:41
You know a fifth pretty much fits in a 20-oz bottle, right? :banana

....<hiccup>, after a coupla sips it does!:D

Tin Man
06-01-2006, 22:48
I just use the often ridiculed Nalgene bottle, er make that two: One for Scotch and one for Red Wine.

Travel_Girl82
06-02-2006, 01:29
Ah, some good ideas for myself, I think. Darn though, wish I'd thought of the paint pen before! :D

SGT Rock
06-02-2006, 05:55
Hey you know us ultralight dirtbags. Why get a titanium flask when I have a perfectly good plastic coke bottle. Just make sure you strip off the label and the plastic ring from the cap (that one that stays on the bottle) to get that extra 1/2 gram off of it.

Footslogger
06-02-2006, 08:25
Ah, some good ideas for myself, I think. Darn though, wish I'd thought of the paint pen before! :D
==================================
Just another thought ...the flask I had mentioned (10oz oval plastic) does have a stainless metal cap that COULD be engraved !!

'Slogger

fivefour
06-02-2006, 08:27
i use the nalgene flask, minus the cup and the shot glass top. it wedges easily into the bottom of my pack.

Travel_Girl82
06-02-2006, 10:04
Off the subject of flasks, but what is everyone's drink of choice on the trail?

Footslogger
06-02-2006, 10:12
I generally carried JD but it varied a bit.

'Slogger

fivefour
06-02-2006, 10:14
Off the subject of flasks, but what is everyone's drink of choice on the trail?

captain morgan's and pink lemonade

Hikes in Rain
06-02-2006, 10:15
Brandy, or good bourbon. The freeze dried beer is terrible!

Green Bean
06-02-2006, 10:47
I found one once at rocky run shelter. It had some whiskey in it. Couple swigs of that helped out a bit in the 5 degree weather we had that night. ~GB

Green Bean
06-02-2006, 10:50
Accually I think it was Brandy not sure but it was good and made me sleep through the night with negative problems so i was happy. ~GB

Alligator
06-02-2006, 10:59
Jameson's and maybe wine for the first night of a long trip out. Right on there Tin Man.
What flask did you wind up getting Travel_Girl? The "new" Sigg 0.6 flasks I mentioned were qoted at about 6 oz. I'm sorely tempted but going to stick to my platy.
http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/Action/Vendor_Prod/ProdId/6638/RefId/29/RefType/Affiliate

Dances with Mice
06-02-2006, 11:01
Off the subject of flasks, but what is everyone's drink of choice on the trail?Bourbon and maybe a splash of spring water.

Sometimes I just wave in the direction of the spring.

generoll
06-02-2006, 11:38
i prefer brandy, but you get more proof per ounce with 151 rum so i tend more towards that when i'm watching my weight.

Toasty
06-02-2006, 12:16
For our first backpacking trip, I bought my husband a flask to carry. Just before we arrived at our starting point, we stopped at a small store to buy the "beverage". He came out with Jack Daniels -- to which I turned up my nose -- ***! However, after hiking all day, I was pleasantly surprised at the smooth taste of that Tennessee whiskey.

b.c.
06-02-2006, 12:48
Jose Cuervo Gold (Gasprin) :)

SGT Rock
06-02-2006, 13:58
Jim Beam is the norm, Makers Mark when I want to be fancy. Wild Turkey sometimes, and if I have to go cheap, McCormic.

hacksaw
06-02-2006, 20:59
Mighty mighty pleezin', pappy's corn squeezins! BBBRRRR White lightnin' (With apologies to the 'Possum)

Say, Rock! Which side of the pond are you on, old man? Best to 'ya!

hacksaw
06-02-2006, 21:03
Oh, and in a 20 oz Pepsi Bottle. They seal better and are made of a shade thicker plastic than Coke bottles.

In '01 or '02, I forget which I gave "Teatree" a 16 oz Pepsi bottle for alcohol and she used it her entire thru without a single mishap.

Tin Man
06-02-2006, 23:02
Jim Beam is the norm, Makers Mark when I want to be fancy. Wild Turkey sometimes, and if I have to go cheap, McCormic.

Hey Rock, did anyone send you a treat in a listerine bottle as you hinted before you travelled east?

Amigi'sLastStand
06-02-2006, 23:12
Hey Rock, did anyone send you a treat in a listerine bottle as you hinted before you travelled east?

Good point. Need a care package Sgt? I just bet you love Scope.;) Or green food coloring and vodka?:cool: Seriously, I aint got much, but is your APO on here somewhere? If not, you should post it.

As for me, Coke bottle with vodka and Tang. Gettin' drunk just thinking about it.....Trust me, it's better than it sounds:banana .

SGT Rock
06-02-2006, 23:42
Hacksaw I am on the WRONG side of the pond now. And one person has sent the care package since I have been here. My favorite technique is brown colored mouthwash replaced with Jim Beam. If you want my address contact my wife who is a member here, she will give it to you. Her userID is Dixicritter. New rules prohibit the posting of address in public places out of safety concerns some jackass will send something dangerous to a soldier's health in it.

I have a couple of jugs of them corn squeezins back home in the mountains. They aren't powerful enough to double as stove fuel, but they are pretty smooth for homemade.

Anyway, appriciate all the offers. Hacksaw, I hope you're doing better and able to get back on the trail again. After I get back to the US, let me know if you need a shuttle around the GSMNP area to get on the trail, I owe you one and another good old southern breakfast.

Uncle Silly
06-03-2006, 01:03
bourbon or tennessee whiskey. maker's preferred, then JD, then various others if i can't find those (or i'm someplace like NYC where they're a tad expensive).

i usually mixed up a hot chocolate + whiskey drink before bed. sometimes a hot chocolate + coffee + whiskey drink before breakfast, too. gotta have that whiskey 'fore breakfast once in a while. :)

hacksaw
06-04-2006, 16:55
Dear ole' Sgt. Rock. You and all them other boys and girls over there are my current batch of heros. And, Ms. Dixiecritter, you and all them other wives, mothers, sweethearts, sisters and brothers, sons and daughters have my prayers for a speedy and safe return. Y'all are heros too, ya' know!

I am better and I do plan to be hiking again soon. In fact, plans are currently being laid for a well financed and well supported (can you say "Silver Eagle at the gaps"?) return engagement starting sometime in early '08 from Springer. Will you be mustered out by then? I'd love to do the Smokies with you. Barring that, I will at least be taking a zero in G'burg.

Skidsteer
06-04-2006, 17:26
Tequila for solo trips.
Red wine if hiking with my wife(seldom more than an overnight, so weight is not an issue).

SGT Rock
06-05-2006, 01:22
Dear ole' Sgt. Rock. You and all them other boys and girls over there are my current batch of heros. And, Ms. Dixiecritter, you and all them other wives, mothers, sweethearts, sisters and brothers, sons and daughters have my prayers for a speedy and safe return. Y'all are heros too, ya' know!

I am better and I do plan to be hiking again soon. In fact, plans are currently being laid for a well financed and well supported (can you say "Silver Eagle at the gaps"?) return engagement starting sometime in early '08 from Springer. Will you be mustered out by then? I'd love to do the Smokies with you. Barring that, I will at least be taking a zero in G'burg.

Well sir, I don't feel like a hero. But I appriciate the compliment. Hiking in the Smokies with you would be a great trip. May even arrange for a little trail magic.

I'll be back home from this one in early March '07 and plan to drop my retirement sometime that year. The only thing that may change that plan is if they offer me E9, and that is a maybe. I am getting to that point where I ain't as tollerant of some of the military ways as I used to be, and don't know if I would be a good Sergeant Major anymore.

But, back to the plan. If I do drop my retirement next year, then the thru-hike will be in '08 durng my terminal leave and permissive TDY we get as a part of retirement. I figure I can get about 4 months still getting paid and do the thru-hike. The only thing I haven't exactly figured out is when to start and in what direction I will go.

hacksaw
06-05-2006, 19:30
Rock,

Well, buddy, If you are "snore tolerant" and don't mind a worn out old Gyreen tagging along Think NOBO with an early to mid march start and I'll see how long I can keep up!

I spent the afternoon today up at Mountain Crossings and Winton sent me away with a pair of Montrail C559s. Wonderful .....Bootlet for lack of a more descriptive term, and I started this very day walking up and down these mountains here at Big Canoe. We got 158 miles of paved PUDs and about that many unpaved ones.

Gotta' run, but pm me and lets talk about this thing. Seems like we got about the same window.

Remember, Head down, powder dry!

Amigi'sLastStand
06-05-2006, 20:24
Well sir, I don't feel like a hero. But I appriciate the compliment.

The only thing that may change that plan is if they offer me E9, and that is a maybe. I am getting to that point where I ain't as tollerant of some of the military ways as I used to be, and don't know if I would be a good Sergeant Major anymore.

The only thing I haven't exactly figured out is when to start and in what direction I will go.

You are a hero. Accept it. That's an order, Sgt.;)

:-? Take the retirement. I have never met a happy OR9 Nato (E9 US). Brigade command NCO I assume? Lonely position. Retire and enjoy what you've done. Your other half and the pups will be happier, also. Just my advice.:)

Do a F/F. I hate hiking/camping in snow.:eek:
Chuck

Travel_Girl82
06-06-2006, 02:04
What flask did you wind up getting Travel_Girl?

I wasn't exactly looking for anything like a platy or whatnot, it was a birthday gift/"have fun on your hike" gift. I ended up getting just a plain 6 oz. stainless steel hip flask from http://www.executivegiftshoppe.com/ and had it engraved with "O'Riain" "Katahdin to Springer 2006". O'Riain is his trail name although he goes by Tudor here on whiteblaze. He'll be in Baxter SP tomorrow. Friend of mine. Will actually be joining him and a couple from Ohio sometime around September. Fun fun. Can't wait. But anyway, all that plus shipping only cost me a smidge over $20. For myself though, I'm still considering the coke bottle and paint marker.

Travel_Girl82
06-06-2006, 02:07

I second that. :sun

SGT Rock
06-06-2006, 02:17

:-? Take the retirement. I have never met a happy OR9 Nato (E9 US). Brigade command NCO I assume? Lonely position. Retire and enjoy what you've done. Your other half and the pups will be happier, also. Just my advice.:)

Do a F/F. I hate hiking/camping in snow.:eek:
Chuck

Yes, that is a big part of it. Plus the fact of having 20+ years of line experience doing things where the rubber meets the road and then having to try to advise someone that has spent most of his career working in various staff positions (no offense to my officer comrads, that is just the way the system works for you guys) what right looks like. I just watched it the other day. Add to that the fact that some (maybe most) of the guys that make it to E9 are political brown nosers more worried about their status or position than doing right by Joe.

A good CSM once told me to quit at 1SG, it was the last fun position he had. If I take it the thing is it will most likely be just to add some extra money to my retirement. Means about $4K extra a year and that is hard to say no to when you have boys to go to college yet.

hacksaw
06-06-2006, 10:43
Top,

If I had it I'd give you the $40 K in advance just to get you out of their clutches. For all the reasons you state and five others.

And, I think I know you well enough to say this:

Is the $ REALLY good enough that you don't think you can match or exceed it on the outside, with much less chance of someone blowing you into the middle of next week?

I greew up w/o a dad (policeman, didn't come home one day) It sucks worse than not having been able to go to college.

SGT Rock
06-06-2006, 10:46
Good point ya'll

Footslogger
06-06-2006, 10:55
Good point ya'll
=============================
Rock ...if they give you 9 as part of the enlistment extension how many years are you obligated to ?? Will it make a huge difference in terms of your retirement base ?? Wasn't a career guy myself. Did my 3 active/3 inactive and bolted but if it was me those would be my criteria.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
06-06-2006, 11:15
=============================
Rock ...if they give you 9 as part of the enlistment extension how many years are you obligated to ?? Will it make a huge difference in terms of your retirement base ?? Wasn't a career guy myself. Did my 3 active/3 inactive and bolted but if it was me those would be my criteria.

'Slogger
Well the problem with E9 is it is so dependant on so many things:

1. If you go to school and get promoted before you go, you owe the Army 2 years after graduation from the school.

2. If you get promoted after finishing the school, you owe the Army 2 years after you pin.

3. Being selected for promotion does not mean you any guarentee on how long it takes to get promoted. I spent almost 2 whole years from when I got selected for E7 to when I actually pinned the rank.

4. Even with all that, the new "High Three" system means to make the promotion really count for pay you need to do three years after you pin.

So if I got selected this September, then you can guess somewhere in 12 months you should get pinned and finish school then owe the Army 24 months minimum. That would mean easliest retirement time I could guess at if I took a promotion would be October 1, 2009.

Right now I am checking on my options. I was thinking of retiring 1 OCT 2008 but actually starting my Permissive TDY on 1 June 08 and starting my Thru-hike on 2 June. With leave and PTDY I figure I can go about 121 days with full pay and benifits. So the question is do I start At Katahdin and walk south on 2 June or do I start at Springer late and hoof it up to make it by 30 September.

Footslogger
06-06-2006, 11:20
[quote=SGT Rock]So if I got selected this September, then you can guess somewhere in 12 months you should get pinned and finish school then owe the Army 24 months minimum. That would mean easliest retirement time I could guess at if I took a promotion would be October 1, 2009.
==================================
Well ...if you go that route our paths will likely cross (again). The wife and I are planning a second AT thru (this time together) in 2010.

All the best, which ever option you choose.

'Slogger

Amigi'sLastStand
06-06-2006, 22:53
... but actually starting my Permissive TDY on 1 June 08 and starting my Thru-hike on 2 June. ... So the question is do I start At Katahdin and walk south on 2 June or do I start at Springer late and hoof it up to make it by 30 September.
No rest for the weary.
SOBO.

DiamondDoug
06-08-2006, 12:37
16 year old single malt scotch. I had three 300 ml lexan containers that I used. 1 was in my pack, 1 was in the mail heading home to be refilled and the third was in the mail coming back to me.

Most nights I sipped 50 ml down the bottle. I had to carry two of them in the 100 mile wilderness so that I'd have a good drink on top of Katahdin.

Alligator
06-08-2006, 13:02
The Commander and I pull 250-300 ml apiece a night but we're a couple of drunk b*****ds:sun . That's why a lot of the above options are a bit insufficient;) .