PDA

View Full Version : I will carry a cellphone!

Cumbrian
04-10-2006, 03:44
I know that this is a subject certain to get some of you reaching for your keyboards but ...don't panic, I agree with the old adage that you should only use a cellphone in an area considered private enough to take a dump!

On my Southbound hike, I will only be using my cellphone as a camera. I am planning to carry a camera-cellphone and send back photo's via email whenever I get a signal. I will send a 'text message' with each photo so that it forms a record for people to follow on my website. I have a solar panel on my backpack to re-charge the phone as I walk. This way, I don't need to carry a seperate camera and there is no chance of losing any pictures.

I will need to purchase a "Pay-As-You-Go" phone when I arrive in Bangor, Maine, so does anyone have any advice on networks & coverage etc.?

regards

Ian
http://www.trailplace.com/portal/images/smilies/smile.gif

Frosty
04-10-2006, 09:07
I know that this is a subject certain to get some of you reaching for your keyboards but ...don't panic, I agree with the old adage that you should only use a cellphone in an area considered private enough to take a dump!

On my Southbound hike, I will only be using my cellphone as a camera. I am planning to carry a camera-cellphone and send back photo's via email whenever I get a signal. I will send a 'text message' with each photo so that it forms a record for people to follow on my website. I have a solar panel on my backpack to re-charge the phone as I walk. This way, I don't need to carry a seperate camera and there is no chance of losing any pictures.

I will need to purchase a "Pay-As-You-Go" phone when I arrive in Bangor, Maine, so does anyone have any advice on networks & coverage etc.?

regards

Ian
http://www.trailplace.com/portal/images/smilies/smile.gifProbably cheapest and most effective will be Trac Phone. Get one at a discount store like Wal-Mart. You set up your "home" zip code on a computer, but that is easily done along the trail. Just change you home area as you go.

You buy "units" on a card, and use a computer to get them sent to your phone. Each minute used calling is one unit in your home area, two units is roaming. But youk can change your home area anytime you want, so that make is nice if you are traveling. No monthly charge, only for calls you make or are made to you.

They have a website:

www.tracphone.com

java
04-10-2006, 10:07
Just so you are aware; the pictures you take with a cell phone camera are of such low quality and resolution that you cannot get a decent 4x6 print off of them. Buy a cheap digital camera and you'll be much happier.

hammock engineer
04-10-2006, 10:56
I agree with the old adage that you should only use a cellphone in an area considered private enough to take a dump

I'll have to keep that one in mind. I will also have mine when I start southbound (older family member that I want to keep updated about).

I second a cheap digital camera. I am looking at a nikon I found for around $150. It takes AA batteries just like my headlamp.

I will recommend against trackphone prepaid. I used to work at a store selling cell phones. They are the most expensive one out there (as of a year ago). Verizon has a really good prepay system. I would not get Virgin moble. They use the Sprint network, which does not have the coverage area other networks have.

PM me if you have any questions.

Lilred
04-10-2006, 11:02
I agree with the others. The quality of photos on a camera phone is terrible. Get a digital camera. You can record on each photo what the picture is of. This is what I do with my Nikon 3.2 The voice recording downloads onto your computer along with the pictures. Very convenient. Get lithium batteries, they last ten times longer.

Cumbrian
04-10-2006, 17:30
Cellphones here in the UK (we call them 'mobiles'), have an excellent quality camera image so I have assumed that the USA was ahead of us with your technology?

Check my website www.hike4pudsey2006.com (http://www.hike4pudsey2006.com), as every image that you see on my website is taken on my Vodaphone/Sharp cellphone (mobile).

I am interested to hear further from you guys in the US, as my start date draws ever closer - 76 days to go!!

Ian

saimyoji
04-10-2006, 18:17
Camera phones in Japan/Korea are of the highest quality. Even the video they take is impressive. Here in the US we are so far behind in cell phone technology. 6 years ago when I was still in Japan I had a phone that came with the plan that took astonishing pictures and video. I had web/email access and had a special free email to anyone who had the same phone service. If phones here were up to snuff, you wouldn't need a camera and a phone and a GPS and a radio and internet access in town. You'd have it all in one tiny, nearly weightless gizmo.

Wake up and smell the technology, American coporations.

Cumbrian
04-10-2006, 18:51
In the Uk, my Vodaphone/Sharp camera-phone includes Text, Video, GPS, Radio, 'In-Match Football Updates' and Internet. It cost me $110 to purchase outright with no monthly fee. It is 'Pay-As-You-Go' and costs a few cents to make a call and about $1 to send a photo, or $2 to send a short video. To use my same phone in other parts of Europe, it costs around double the price.

Which network has the best cellphone service/network coverage along the trail?

Ian

warraghiyagey
10-22-2009, 20:29
Oh great. . . a new troll. . . . :mad::(

Long feet
10-23-2009, 03:36
My iPhone takes pretty good photos as well as video. AT & T's coverage is not as good as Verizon, but better than Sprint. Expensive though. It's nice to have PDFs of maps, music, podcasts, email, GPS, and tons of applications.

trailfoot
10-23-2009, 04:48
I used Alltel on my 2008 hike and had good coverage on most of the trail. I could make a phone call on almost every day.

Maddog
10-23-2009, 05:29

regards

Ian
http://www.trailplace.com/portal/images/smilies/smile.gifenjoy! everyone should hike within their own comfort zone!:D

faarside
10-23-2009, 10:19
A Tracfone will work fine so long as the phone you buy is based on CDMA technology. This means that the Tracfone will use the Verizon Wireless network, which provides the best overall coverage along the Trail. Google the phone model before you buy to be sure it is CDMA! Websites like phonescoop.com provide such details.

Alternatively, you could simply buy a pay-as-you-go Verizon Wireless phone.

Happy Trails!

atraildreamer
10-24-2009, 21:20
Probably cheapest and most effective will be Trac Phone. Get one at a discount store like Wal-Mart. You set up your "home" zip code on a computer, but that is easily done along the trail. Just change you home area as you go.

You buy "units" on a card, and use a computer to get them sent to your phone. Each minute used calling is one unit in your home area, two units is roaming. But youk can change your home area anytime you want, so that make is nice if you are traveling. No monthly charge, only for calls you make or are made to you.

They have a website:

www.tracphone.com (http://www.tracphone.com)b

My brother got a Tracfone camera flip-phone for $40 at WalMart that has "double minutes for life". It has a built-in FM radio, and internet capable to send your photos. I believe that TracFone has eliminated roaming charges, but I could be wrong about that.

ShakeyLeggs
10-25-2009, 01:04
Don't know if anyone noticed but this thread is 3 years old.

Connie
10-25-2009, 01:09
And, your point is..?

The information now is valid now.

I had Verizon pre-pay. It doesn't work outside of it's area, no matter what they claim.

I dialed 911 three times, and nothing.

I have Tracfone, now. I hope I like it better.

Hikerhead
10-25-2009, 01:13
And, your point is..?

The information now is valid now.

I had Verizon pre-pay. It doesn't work outside of it's area, no matter what they claim.

I dialed 911 three times, and nothing.

I have Tracfone, now. I hope I like it better.

I've been pretty happy with my Tracfone.

JoeHiker
10-26-2009, 17:34
And, your point is..?

Is it really that hard to figure out?

I am guessing his point was that that what "warrahiyaghey" (who appears to have revived the thread after 3 years) called a "new troll" was not new at all.

And perhaps to alert people of the time span so that they might be alert to the fact that things could possibly have changed a little -- like cell phone camera quality and the like.

Wise Old Owl
11-16-2010, 14:43
This is an old thread,

TheYoungOne
11-16-2010, 16:59
This is an old thread,

Here is the Cell Phone the OP chose to carry. :D

http://chicagoist.com/attachments/Hunter%20Clauss/old%20cell%20phone.jpg

Dogwood
11-16-2010, 18:38
Whew! I suppose you are very happy to have reached the monumental decision that you will carry a cell phone! Sounds like you were sweating having to come to the decision.

Congrats!

Don H
11-16-2010, 18:43
Dual purpose, you can also use it to pound in your tent pegs! Should be a hit with the ultra-light crowd.

Mags
11-16-2010, 18:51
I am like St. Francis. I talk to the birds and have them do my bidding...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

bigcranky
11-16-2010, 21:34
No offense, but if you want photos, carry a camera.

Tinker
11-16-2010, 23:21
This is an old thread,

Yes,
yes it is..................:rolleyes:.

Pedaling Fool
11-17-2010, 08:28
Like many personal methods/philosophies/ideas of how to hike the AT...Carrying a cell phone use to be a very divisive topic; it doesn't seem to cause a ruckus anymore.

Still many more topics to create havoc.:)