PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Pants

Michele
04-10-2006, 10:23
Hello everyone,

I am shopping for hiking pants for my thru-hike on the AT next year. I found these pants at REI:

Sahara Convertible Pants - Women's Item 717278

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&stat=7889&productId=47849025&vcat=REI_SEARCH&langId=-1&orig=717278++&catalogId=40000008000

Have any of you used these and more importantly what brand do you use? I (right now) wear a size 16, and I'm 5' 5.5", so I usually try to find shorter lengths. I'm just wondering if these pants are too heavy w/all the pockets and all. Thanks!

--Michele

anneandbenhike
04-10-2006, 11:53
I have worn these REI pants for years! I love them. They dry fast and are not too heavy with the pockets. They are especially nice for the cool mornings and then just zip off when it warms up...same goes for cool evenings. I use the extra pockets for things I want to get at often...chapstick, small sunblock, granola bars, etc. I bought two pairs at the same time (so the zippers on the legs were compatible--my old pair was not compatible with the new ones) and I leave one set of "legs" at home. They are the only (shorts) pants I take on my hikes (except tights in cold weather) and I love them. They are hard to shorten from the bottom, however. Before convertibles became popular for kids (about 10 years ago) I bought a woman's pair for my son and had to shorten them by taking tucks in the leg part above the zippers. It worked great and I let them out as he grew. I watch REI sales and got mine for $36. They are frequently on sale. Hope this helps

C-Stepper
04-11-2006, 08:05
I have a pair as well, have hiked probably 600 or so miles in them and love them, too. In addition to the positive review the previous poster made, I'll add that this pair of pants also sheds rain and snow very, very well. Big pockets, loose fit, and reasonably rugged for the weight. Roomy enough for layers underneath, which I'll wear in camp if necessary. I've worn them in rain, snow, and hazy/hot/humid summer heat and love them.

Bought mine on sale, so, like a.a.b. said, try to hit the discount if you can wait.

scothiker
04-11-2006, 10:47
Yep, these are great, I've had mine a few months. Spilled an entire Starbucks grande latte on them in the car; they beaded up and didn't really get wet/stained at all (can't say the same for the car seat, smelled like Starbucks for months!) Also wore them for trail maintenance in January on a day where it rained ALL DAY, and they were very light and comfortable even when damp - and not that damp. If you get hot, the zips at the bottom allow you to remove the bottom sections without taking off your boots. Lots of pockets, handy and they do not weigh down the pants.
Highly recommend.

scothiker
04-11-2006, 10:49
Oh, and the velcro at the bottom is handy; I'm also short (5') and sometimes if the trail is muddy, I use the velcro to shorten and tighten them a bit around my boots, keeps the bottoms from getting muddy. Get them!

Michele
04-11-2006, 11:23
Wow, Thanks everyone. I loved them when I tried them on last weekend, but since I have a year, I am taking advantage of everyone's experience and asking lots of questions. You've all sold me, and I'll be (impatiently) waiting for a sale. Thanks again for the input!

--Michele

lindy
09-16-2006, 13:37
hey can someone read the tag and let me know what fabric they are made of so I can find a pair. Thanks for sharing!

tangled_slinky
09-19-2006, 19:43
Anyone know where i could get some long convertible pants? I'm 5'10" so anything with a 34/35" inseam makes my day.

QHShowoman
09-19-2006, 21:13
I love my Sahara pants. They are 100% nylon and are great for hiking, swimming, paddling, you name it. They just started making them in petite and long lengths, which are available on REI.com. I have a 31" inseam and the regular lengths are way long.

QHShowoman
09-19-2006, 21:15
Oops, I wrote that backwards ... the regular inseam is 31" and that's way too long for me! And it doesn't look like you get get the longer lengths online yet, but they're coming, I promise!

Cuffs
09-20-2006, 09:46
Anyone know where i could get some long convertible pants? I'm 5'10" so anything with a 34/35" inseam makes my day.

I got a really great light weight pair from (eww) Cabela's. They are zip-offs and they come un-hemmed! While I dont have the legs you do, I do have a longer than average inseam and find most pre-hemmed pants too short. You just tell them the length, and they'll hem 'em up!

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat601085-cat21186&id=0025349912326a&navCount=2&podId=0025349&parentId=cat21186&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21186&hasJS=true

Michele
09-20-2006, 13:44
hey can someone read the tag and let me know what fabric they are made of so I can find a pair. Thanks for sharing!

Lindy, here's a link to them. The website said UPF 50+ Nylon fabric:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47849025&parent_category_rn=4501798