PDA

View Full Version : NY-AT Dennytown Road campsite

gsingjane
04-10-2006, 13:25
Hi, I will be hiking part of the AT in NY next week (going SOBO), and was wondering how difficult it will be to find the Dennytown Road (group campsite) in Fahnestock State Park. Wingfoot's book says it is .5 miles to the right off the trail but indicates it's "unmarked," which I don't understand. Do you take Dennytown Road and then turn in somewhere off of it, or is there a trail to the campsite that branches off the AT? And I read something about a ranger station or a house, is that helpful in locating the campground?

Thanks in advance all you New York mavens,

Jane in CT

ezdoesit
04-10-2006, 15:24
Jane,
If hiking north you will come to a hard top road/Dennytown make a left and you will walk @ .5 and on your left is a dirt road walk up the dirt road and you will see the camping spots. Before the turn off for the dirt road you will see a small building on your right there is a spigot that is where you will get your water.Hope this helps you out.

gsingjane
04-10-2006, 17:40
Thanks EZ, just to be sure now, since we are hiking south, I would take a right on the hard top road but then still take a left off Dennytown onto the dirt road, correct? Are there any signs on the dirt road indicating that is the way to the campground? And do you know if there is a fee?

Sorry for all these questions but especially when I have my kids along, I try to have everything pretty well sussed out ahead of time.

Jane

A-Train
04-10-2006, 21:57
Not to add to the confusion, but I believe the campsite is a turnoff in the woods, right before hitting the road (or after going south). If going south, you would emerge from the woods, cross the road, where there is a spigot and small kiosk and continue back into the woods where you'd see a sign for the campsite and need to turn right. I could be wrong though, I've never stayed here, just hiked thru a few times.

gsingjane
04-11-2006, 06:41
Thanx ATrain, I am good as long as I know once I'm at that road, the campground is going to be in the close vicinity. I will post back and let you know how it is and how to do the turn for it.

Jane

vipahman
04-11-2006, 10:43
Quoting from the AT Trail guide,
"To reach Dennytown Road Group Campsites, turn east on Dennytown Road for about 500 feet, then turn left on dirt road, and follow it to top of hill. The campsites are maintained for groups and thru-hikers by Fahnestock State Park. Water and latrines are available; no fee."

Dennytown Road is mile 3.7 in section 7.

P.S. I'm assuming that water is only available in summer.