PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming !

Vi+
04-10-2006, 14:49
Footslogger,

Just received a Patagonia Fly Fishing 2006 catalog. In it (Page #8) there’s a photograph depicting a bicycle and fly fishing gear, all covered in heavy frost. The write-up includes, “... November on the Bighorn, Montana.”

I’m reminded of something I heard in Wyoming. “We have four seasons here; fall, winter, spring and summer. Summer occurs on July 4. Sometimes it snows on the Fourth of July.”

Do you hike about in the National Forest, between Sheridan and Cody? (It may be the Bighorn NF.)

If it goes on the block, please let me know. I’m willing to wrestle the wife into submission to live there. Winter be damned.

Vi

Pacific Tortuga
04-10-2006, 15:10
Do you hike about in the National Forest, between Sheridan and Cody? (It may be the Bighorn NF.)

If it goes on the block, please let me know. I’m willing to wrestle the wife into submission to live there. Winter be damned.

Vi[/quote]

Chaney wouldn't let that happen in his home state unless you gave up the mineral rites to natuaral gas companies and hopefully a target range but good luck,it's truley Gods country.

Footslogger
04-10-2006, 15:33
[quote=Vi+]I’m reminded of something I heard in Wyoming. “We have four seasons here; fall, winter, spring and summer. Summer occurs on July 4. Sometimes it snows on the Fourth of July.”
===========================================
That's pretty accurate, actually.

We haven't gotten up to that area yet for any hiking. Have plans this summer to hit the Devils Tower area, which is up by Sheridan.

I do agree with the other poster though in saying that Cheney would never let that land go on the block.

People out in these parts place a higher value on land at times than they do on life itself (or so it seems). A sign of success is the number of acres you own. Not that they really do anything with the land, of course ...they just OWN it. Huge "Don't fence me in" mentality out here.

'Slogger

fiddlehead
04-10-2006, 21:54
Wyoming is one state i would have a very hard time living in. I could probably live with cowboys and pickup trucks and rodeos every weekend, but the wind never stops. It is a dry wind and not easy to be outside much. I like being outside.
Also, WY is the only state (that i know of) where hitchiking is illegal and it is enforced. We had to go to a bar and pay someone to give us a ride back to the trail from someone who had been drinking because the state cop wouldn't let us hitch back. (now which was safer?)
Yes there are some beautiful spots in WY, but why not live in MT or ID and commute to those great hiking places like the bighorns, winds, jackson hole area?

Footslogger
04-10-2006, 22:54
Yes there are some beautiful spots in WY, but why not live in MT or ID and commute to those great hiking places like the bighorns, winds, jackson hole area?
================================
It's called WORK ...that 4 letter word we all know and love. My wife finished her doctorate was was offered a job at the Univ of Wy here in Laramie.

Yeah, there's a lot of wind. But on the flip side there are no rush hours or traffic jams and the sun shines darn near all the time ...even when it's snowing. I'm 35 minutes from great sking in the Winter and outstanding backpacking in the summer.

There are things I miss about the east and I'll always be attached to the AT but unless you've actually ever lived out here ...I wouldn't knock it.

'Slogger

bzmnboy
04-11-2006, 03:14
Ahhhhh the Big Horn, I must say that I had to bud in. Yeah here in Montana the saying goes "we have three seasons Winter, Spring and Fall" I didnt believe this at first, but after having it almost 70 degrees yesterday and having it snow today I believe it. It goes from harsh winter to summer, then (sometimes in August) the snow starts falling. My buddy from Cheyanne (SP?), Wyoming says its similar by him.
-Geoffrey

Footslogger
04-11-2006, 08:50
Ahhhhh the Big Horn, I must say that I had to bud in. Yeah here in Montana the saying goes "we have three seasons Winter, Spring and Fall" I didnt believe this at first, but after having it almost 70 degrees yesterday and having it snow today I believe it. It goes from harsh winter to summer, then (sometimes in August) the snow starts falling. My buddy from Cheyanne (SP?), Wyoming says its similar by him.
-Geoffrey
========================================
Over 65 degrees the last 2 days in a row here in Laramie ...and it's lookin like snow today. So, yeah ...the weather is a bit dicey this time of year. Oh and did I say it was WINDY !!

'Slogger

kyhipo
04-11-2006, 13:38
i lived in rock springs when i was a child brutal winters and hot summers,that said I just love the bighorn area and a desire of mine is to hike the teton area one of these days,also the snake river is awsome,went thru that area on my way back from the pct.ky

fiddlehead
04-11-2006, 21:35
================================

There are things I miss about the east and I'll always be attached to the AT but unless you've actually ever lived out here ...I wouldn't knock it.

'Slogger

I lived in northern Idaho a little while and thought it was AWESOME (not quite as good as my present home in Thailand but still AWESOME for the USA) and i've hiked a lot of wyoming on 3 separate occasions. So, does this allow me to give my opinion?
That's why i said MT or ID would be better choices. But i understand about work. I am lucky that my work can be done anywhere in the world and i can choose where i want to live.