PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Z Pack?

PolarFox
04-10-2006, 16:07
If anyone has hiked the trail with the Gregory Z Pack, I'm thinking about getting one. Just want to know how it worked out for you. Any personal expierience, good or bad. Also how much wieght you put in it.

The Solemates
04-10-2006, 16:26
worked out good for me. mine has over 3500 miles on it and still going strong.

i typically carry 20-35 lbs depending on the season, trip duration, and how many days worth of food.

bbanker
04-10-2006, 17:02
I like mine just fine. It was a good compromise between lightening up for me and the stability factor. It was a good replacement for my old north face renegade.

Frosty
04-10-2006, 18:17
Bought one, used it twice, hated it, returned it.

Before returning it, I did ask the Gregory reps at Trail Days last year about the poor design of external mesh pockets. The rep said that thier feedback said that hikers don't want mesh pockets, and prefer the smaller the better.

I bought a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. Evidently hiker feedback to Goassamer Gear indicates that hikers like outside mesh pockets, because the Mariposa has large, convenient ones. The Mariposa is about 1/3 the weight of the Z-Pack, but that is just a bonus. It's the poor pocket design that I didn't like and didn't want to live with.

Hanger
04-10-2006, 19:41
I got into backpacking about a year ago, and the Z-pack is my first pack. I loved the price and it is decently light at just over 3 pounds. I most of my trips have be three days, and for them I usually carry around 20 lbs. I find that the Z-pack holds these loads pretty well. I went on a weeklong trip in March and my pack was around 35lbs. It wasn't very comfortable the first few days but after I ate off some of my food weight I got the weight down.

I don't like the front mesh pocket. I find that it is very hard to put things in there with a full pack. Also, for me, there are to many bells and whistles on it for my liking. That's why I'm going to get a GG Vapor Trail (It weighs less, it has more ci's, and it's the same price).