PDA

View Full Version : Rice Field Shelter

Former Admin
09-10-2002, 05:30
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Rice Field Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Hikerhead
10-05-2002, 15:30
A very nice shelter with an open pasture in front. Here's a picture.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=162&papass=&sort=1

SGT Rock
10-05-2002, 16:19
Great place to watch the sunset. As I remember it, the water source is not consistant and is a hard walk. There is a good water point on the trail comming from the south up the mountain from Pearisburg, and again about 1 1/2 miles north. So fill up before going in, and then get some more after you leave.

Hikerhead
10-05-2002, 17:31
That's a good point about the water. I made the mistake of going down the 1/2 mile trail to the spring. Not only was the spring almost dry, but that climb back to the shelter was the worst ever. I was really PO'd when I came across that nice spring right on the trail heading north.

Leasons I learned that day------read your data book.

BlackCloud
04-02-2007, 12:45
As of 4/1/07 the cabin was clean and in good condition. Sweeping view to the west, and enough space for a hundred tents. No water, but spring to the north was flowing nicely.

Footslogger
04-02-2007, 12:48
That's a good point about the water. I made the mistake of going down the 1/2 mile trail to the spring. Not only was the spring almost dry, but that climb back to the shelter was the worst ever. I was really PO'd when I came across that nice spring right on the trail heading north.

Leasons I learned that day------read your data book.

=======================================

Made the same mistake in 2003. Long hike down through overgrown thistle patches and mud and even more fun heading back up to the shelter. One smart thing I did was to carry ALL my water containers down so that I only had to make the trip once.

Great shelter though. Peeking out through the trees onto that open field.

'Slogger

Marta
04-02-2007, 20:49
When I passed through there this winter there were two inches of snow on the privy seat. A roofless privy is not so great in inclement weather.

Marta/Five-Leaf

CitronellaMan
05-13-2007, 21:36
I was there a few weekends ago (April 14) and the shelter was in great shape. Open air privy was nice, but not for our weather (about 45 and drizzling, with gusts to about 20 knots). Spring up the trail wasn't the best, but it was OK. Heard enough bad word about the one down the hill that we didn't even try it. Would have been a beatiful view, I suppose, had it not been foggy/cloudy/rainy.

Yahtzee
05-13-2007, 21:53
Two experience come to mind. One is being curled in a ball and cursing furiously as lightning struck all around the shelter. Worst case of lightning I have seen on the trail.

The second one is glorious. Just as I began to enter the open field on the ridge that leads to the shelter, John Denver's Country Roads came on my radio. What serendipity! I popped off the trail to the left enough to figure I was in West Virginia and sang along with ol' Johnny, "Take me home, country roads, to the place I belong, West Virginia, Mountain Mama, take me home, Country Roads." Twas perfect. Thanks for helping me remember that.

Mountain Dog
05-23-2008, 21:58
Water was available at the shelter as of 5-21-08. However, it was down the hill a long, long way. Meaning, you had a nice hike back up to the shelter. There are two choice for water between Rice Field and the next shelter headed north. One is a stagnant pond that was full of tadpoles and the other about 1.6 miles north of the shelter. I was up there last week and a lot of north bounders were missing the good supply. To find the really good water headed north--you will cross a power line clearing about 1 mile north of the shelter. Once you "reenter" the woods after crossing the power line clearing, the water will be between 5 and 10 minutes down the trail. The best indicator of the creek will be a large oak tree on the east side of the trail with all the leaves cleared from around its base. It looks like a small trail around the base because of people setting their packs down against the tree. Once there, look right or east and you will see a good trail going about 50 feet to good water. If that is dry, you'll have to get almost to the next whelter to find good water.

GrubbyJohn
04-04-2009, 22:10
it was my first nite on my section hike. sat on the big rock at the top and to the left. sipped a little wild turkey and watched the best sun set in my life.....

fl4ian
10-03-2010, 19:45
went down behind the shelter to find water, but never did. 4 hours down and back without anything. it was a brutal climb both ways - thickets everywhere. I wouldn't do that again.

GoldenBear
07-28-2015, 23:51
I was there last week; here's what I noticed.

There's water about 1.5 miles north of Rice Field Shelter, and about 1.5 miles south; but don't count on anything NEAR the shelter.
If going north from this shelter, there will be only ONE CHANCE for water for the next ten miles: a spring that has this marker at it
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61221

If going north from Pearisburg, you'll do the normal climb in the forests until you get to Rice Field.
Just past the shelter is a fence over which you'll need to use the steps.
Once past the fence, you'll be in an open field, with tall grasses and minimal shade, for a large fraction of the next few miles.
Great for overlooks,
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61211
NOT great if you're trying to avoid sunburn. If you can be there at sunrise or sunset, the photos can be great.

The shelter is the only place I fought insects, and lost, during my short section hike. Not even Pine SWAMP had as bad an insect problem.

RIGHT after the crossing the fence, you sneak into West Virginia for a short while.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61209

ekeverette
07-29-2015, 07:06
was kept up all night with 10 oz acorns falling about each minute. BAM!! BAM!!! Got no sleep.

SWODaddy
08-01-2016, 16:50
I just camped here Saturday night.

1. New (composting?) Privy which I heard was installed in March. Looks very nice...and is enclosed.
2. Shelter seems in good shape, though we hammock'd.
3. Spring 1.5mi north was a little more than a trickle but had clean water.
4. Spring .3mi south of the shelter had good flow...right on the trail.
5. The new section south of the shelter (completed 1-2yrs ago) is very, very nice. They did a good job.
6. This is the third or fourth time I've been here, and I never remembered the fields looking so overgrown. We had to push our way through brush in a few places. Symms gap was even worse.

Gambit McCrae
08-02-2016, 09:25
I just camped here Saturday night.

6. This is the third or fourth time I've been here, and I never remembered the fields looking so overgrown. We had to push our way through brush in a few places. Symms gap was even worse.

I was in this stretch a month ago and the trail all the way to sinking creek was overgrown to the point of pushing thru stingweed and waist high undergrowth.

SWODaddy
08-02-2016, 09:43
I was in this stretch a month ago and the trail all the way to sinking creek was overgrown to the point of pushing thru stingweed and waist high undergrowth.

Yep, it's about 5' tall now. I look like I got in a fight with a bobcat :) - scratches all over my arms and legs. Luckily, no ticks though.