PDA

View Full Version : Jackets-Waterproof,breathable,light!

heyman62
04-11-2006, 10:05
I have read many posts on here about a variety of these jackets. My income to purchase is limited. My wife and I are looking at 2 jackets. Both are carried at EMS.

EMS Cumulas Jacket

North Face Mens Diad Jacket

Anybody out there buy these and have good or bad thoughts? I sincerely know I can spend a lot more money and get better products. Of course I could spend less and get worse too.
Thanks

txulrich
04-11-2006, 11:35
I don't have any experience witht the jackets you're looking at. But, look at the Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket. It's available from Campmor.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=3192609

You can get the pants as well. http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=3192620

I've had mine for a couple of years and they've held up very well. Light weight but tough enuf for scout trips. I also use them as part of my layering system, so the do get a lot of use.

verber
04-11-2006, 12:12
The North Face jacket isn't that breathable, and my recollection from other people's comments is that the Cumulus isn't very good either. Never has particularly lagr side/pit zips... so I would be concerned about moisture management.

While not as cool looking (or as durable), you should at least consider Frogg Toggs. They don't have side vents, but I have found them more breathable than most other options, and they are much less likely to get clammy than typical nylon rain jackets. Better you, they will be significantly cheaper.

--mark

hobbit
04-12-2006, 08:37
ditto on the redledge it breathes well and stays dry the only prob i had/have is i pulled the zipper on the left pocket so that pocket is always open.

Whistler
04-12-2006, 22:31
Frogg Toggs are a dependable, breathable bargain choice, definitely consider them. You may or may not be interested, but a silnylon poncho (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=9996340&memberId=12500226) can be had for about $50--and will double as a tent vestibule, tarp, etc. if you like. I also think Red Ledge could be a good option for you. They're nicely made and reported to be comparably breathable to some of the big brands. I don't know the sizes you need, but I have a near-new yellow-green men's medium Red Ledge rain jacket gathering dust in my closet. I'd be willing to send it your way for $25 or so (S&H included). Just PM if you're interested.
-Mark

chowhound
04-13-2006, 14:01
I also use the Redledge parka and basic pants. The combination of durability, light weight, and good price sold me. They got very good reviews on backpackgeartest.com, and in my experience they've lived up to the reviews. The material is somewhat breathable, but the most important thing, at least with the jacket, is the ventilation options. The combination of large pit zips, and mesh pockets do an excellent job of getting the moist air out.

Weldman
04-13-2006, 22:17
I found a EMS men's sm w/ hood ( for wife)$4.50 and a L.L. bean anorak $3.30 at goodwill. If you look at Goodwill and Salvation Army, you may find a 3-4 yr old jacket just need to be reactivated w/ niki wash /wax. We have tested both on 3 different 2.5 hr hikes in moderate rain- Dry as a bone. So you can find good deals, just look carefully at the material.

Mike

LIhikers
04-14-2006, 15:28
Yep, Goodwill and second hand shops are good places to find stuff for the outdoors. Not only have I found clothes there, but I also came across backpacks there. And for $5 each couldn't resist buying them.