PDA

View Full Version : Anything Besides TrailJournals?

20Something
04-12-2006, 00:29
I know TrailJournals is more hiker specific and gets a hiker more attention, but I don't like that I can't post to the journal through e-mail. So, I'm using Blogger (http://www.blogger,com) instead.

What do you use? What do you like or not like about it?

I like Blogger, not only for the e-mail postings, but I can customize the way it looks. I can also leave audio messages through the phone with AudioBlogger.

On the other hand, I like the stats that TrailJournals keep and the way they host your photos.

Post your journals, if you don't mind. I love reading them (and stalking the gear lists).

Mine is: http://jenstrailjournal.blogspot.com/

MedicineMan
04-12-2006, 01:14
name them please.

20Something
04-12-2006, 01:36
Six National Park units including, Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, C & O Canal National Historical Park, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, Shenandoah National Park, Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

From: National Park Service (http://www.nps.gov/partnerships/appalachian_trail_conference.htm)

MedicineMan
04-12-2006, 01:49
i dont think national historic parks or
national recreation areas
are national parks
neither are national monuments
or national historic sites
or national battlefields
a national park is specifically defined as are the above mentioned entities.

Uncle Silly
04-12-2006, 02:29
are national parks
or national battlefields
a national park is specifically defined as are the above mentioned entities.

They are all "national parks" (defined as "run by the National Park Service" as opposed to "run by the National Forest Service") though obviously they are not all "National Parks" ....

:banana

20Something
04-12-2006, 02:30
I'm... confused. What?

MedicineMan
04-12-2006, 02:43
not that it matters, in fact i've visited/hiked/paddled 235 Units so far, they are all outstanding in their unique ways.....now here is the question-
Is the Appalachian Trail a National Park?

attroll
04-12-2006, 02:47
wbdent Blogger software has its disadvantages. I have looked into using that for our site here and it is just not feasible at all. The main reason is the inability to insert a past entry and put it in the proper chronological order. Let us say you want to type in the journals for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. But you left out Wednesday. Well now you can not insert Wednesday where it is suppose to be with blogger software. Another problem with blogger software is the advertisements that you have to deal with all over the page and the popups that come up. I am not putting down your blog because it looks like you have put a lot of work into it, but the advertisements are annoying. But that is the price people have to pay for free blogger software.

wbdent There are other things that need to be thought out when looking into creating journals software too but I am not going to get into an in depth listing all that. But there is more to it then meets the eye.

wbdent At this time the only software out there for hiking journals that I know of that are any good is trailjournlas.com. So I would have to say hands down that it is the best only because it is the only one out there. Maybe someday someone else will come along with some more thru hiking journal software that will be better. Only time will tell.

Chef2000
04-12-2006, 05:39
I will be using spaces by MSN, check out the link below, this is much better than trailjournals. I love the email publishing, if I was good at HTML I could do all sort of fancy things. Of course, The fact that you can pretty much post what you want, no big brother is gonna come around and delete your entry, is always good.

2. I do believe the AT is a national park, the nps has ultimate control and decision making authority over the AT. The only two Police officers dedicated to the AT are NPS Rangers.

Frosty
04-12-2006, 09:53
are national parks
or national battlefields
a national park is specifically defined as are the above mentioned entities.If you go to the National Parks Service website

http://www.nps.gov/parks.html

and click on view all parks, you get to see all the National Parks as defined by the National Parks Service.

Skyline
04-12-2006, 10:19
I guess there are national parks (all lower case) and National Parks (caps & lower case). The former would include all "units" of the NPS, while the latter would include those units classified as "real" National Parks. Sure doesn't mean they aren't all good, and deserve ongoing public support.

20Something
04-12-2006, 11:31
Blogger software has its disadvantages. I have looked into using that for our site here and it is just not feasible at all. The main reason is the inability to insert a past entry and put it in the proper chronological order. Let us say you want to type in the journals for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. But you left out Wednesday. Well now you can not insert Wednesday where it is suppose to be with blogger software. Another problem with blogger software is the advertisements that you have to deal with all over the page and the popups that come up. I am not putting down your blog because it looks like you have put a lot of work into it, but the advertisements are annoying. But that is the price people have to pay for free blogger software.

I'm not sure what advertisements you're talking about. Do you mean the little strip along the top? I know that people can choose to put ads on their site using ad-sense, but they get paid for doing that and it's optional.

I don't get any pop-ups when I open it. If other people get pop-ups when they open my site, I'll consider changing services.

And yeah, the chronological thing does kinda suck.

I wasn't trying to say that Blogger was the be all of blog services. I just wanted to see what other software was out there. I didn't meant to ruffle your e-feathers. :)

20Something
04-12-2006, 11:36
I will be using spaces by MSN, check out the link below, this is much better than trailjournals. I love the email publishing, if I was good at HTML I could do all sort of fancy things. Of course, The fact that you can pretty much post what you want, no big brother is gonna come around and delete your entry, is always good.

Wow. I didn't know MSN had this. Was it easier to configure? I love that slide show.

And I wasn't aware that TrailJournals deleted entries...

20Something
04-12-2006, 11:45
Blogger software has its disadvantages. I have looked into using that for our site here and it is just not feasible at all. The main reason is the inability to insert a past entry and put it in the proper chronological order. Let us say you want to type in the journals for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. But you left out Wednesday. Well now you can not insert Wednesday where it is suppose to be with blogger software. Another problem with blogger software is the advertisements that you have to deal with all over the page and the popups that come up. I am not putting down your blog because it looks like you have put a lot of work into it, but the advertisements are annoying. But that is the price people have to pay for free blogger software.

I just figured out you can change the date and time of your post so that they will be chronological. See the picture here: http://www.personal.ecu.edu/jbj0419/DateChange.jpg

You have to click Post and Comment Options. I knew that I had seen that before, but I couldn't find it again, so I took your word for it.

attroll
04-12-2006, 11:50
I'm not sure what advertisements you're talking about. Do you mean the little strip along the top? I know that people can choose to put ads on their site using ad-sense, but they get paid for doing that and it's optional.

I don't get any pop-ups when I open it. If other people get pop-ups when they open my site, I'll consider changing services.

And yeah, the chronological thing does kinda suck.

I wasn't trying to say that Blogger was the be all of blog services. I just wanted to see what other software was out there. I didn't meant to ruffle your e-feathers. :)
When I was commenting I was not referring to your sitre only. I was referrring to all blogger sites. Your site does not have popups but some do.

Cuffs
04-12-2006, 12:07
Is the Appalachian Trail a National Park?

I believe (and dont quote me on this!) that its proper title is Appalachian National Scenic Trail.

chief
04-12-2006, 13:02
20something, I don't know if anyone has said so, but I think your blog looks pretty good.

I share attroll's problems with blogs in general and I'm actually in the process of doing something about it for my own site. I still have the dream of doing a thru-hike (I did 1,400 miles in 2000). I recently began a project which was originally intended to be a blog built on top of a forum application, but I decided to move it to more of a hikers' journal instead.

Here's what I have now: http://www.bayloafer.com/journals

You can see, it's basically a simple blog as it stands now. It didn't generate much interest in the online community it was targeted for (though some are using it), but if there is sufficient interest from real hikers, I will do the modification necessay to include features to make it hiker specific. Some input as to what hikers want/need might actually motivate me. Feedback is most important.

Hana_Hanger
04-12-2006, 15:43
Nicely set up...I love looking at gear lists to see new ideas.
I also use MySpaces with MSN and I like how you can change things with this Blogger one you shared...Thanks :)

Hana_Hanger
04-12-2006, 15:45
I believe (and dont quote me on this!) that its proper title is Appalachian National Scenic Trail.
:bananayes that's it!

RockyTrail
04-12-2006, 16:18
It's a fine blog!:sun

I've always loved that Mark Twain quote, the man sure could write.

Chef2000
04-12-2006, 20:45
hey 20 check the trailjournals agreement they will delete any entry that talks about drugs, sex and all sorts of things. They edit guest book entries also. I have seen entire journals disappear that just happened to belong to "controversial trail characters"

Uncle Silly
04-12-2006, 21:17
If you go to the National Parks Service website

http://www.nps.gov/parks.html

and click on view all parks, you get to see all the National Parks as defined by the National Parks Service.

Not to get too into the semantics, I'll just add this: that link sez "View All Parks", and then sez it's an alphabetical listing of all "National Park Service sites". It does list everything under the NPS purview -- National Parks, National Historical Parks, National Historic Sites, etc. I'd submit that everything on this list is a National Park, even though it may have a more specific title -- ie, that the set of National Historic Sites is merely a particular subset of National Parks.

attroll
04-13-2006, 00:49
hey 20 check the trailjournals agreement they will delete any entry that talks about drugs, sex and all sorts of things. They edit guest book entries also. I have seen entire journals disappear that just happened to belong to "controversial trail characters"

I can understand why they do delete or edit some of this. I think I would delete or edit posts that were dealing with drugs and sex also if we had journals here on WhiteBlaze.

Speaking of journals and while we are on the subject. Let me make this clear. I am not saying we are going to have journals here on WhiteBlaze, but I would like to ask a few questions. I may interact with some of these replies but it is only to help me with ideas and get further explanations in case we ever do decide to have journals sometime in the future.

First let me give my idea of what I would like to see in a journal program.
1. Easy to use and move around in.
2. Very user friendly.
3. Each journalist have there own photo gallery
4. Not to many statistics
5. Guest books
6. Calendar
7. Biography, about journalist
8. Gear list
9. Trail name explanation
10. Start location
11. End location
12. Miles today
13. Number of days is each: Shelter, tent/hammock, hostel, house, and motel.
14. Email subscriptions
15. Mail drops
16. Small stats page
17. For thru hikers only

Well that is all I can thing of for now. I believe a journal program should be simple and sweet with not too many bells and whistles. This way it is easy for the journalist and the end user.

Now let me get other people opinions. What would you like to see in a journal program?

Uncle Silly
04-13-2006, 01:46
I can understand why they do delete or edit some of this. I think I would delete or edit posts that were dealing with drugs and sex also if we had journals here on WhiteBlaze.

Grrr. What's the point of keeping a journal if it's going to be censored? No offense, troll, I'm sure there are good business/liability reasons for doing so, but .... as a user, if I'm offered a place to keep a journal, I sort of expect editorial control. Otherwise, I'm just being offered the chance to write for someone else's publication.

On to the wishlist...

First let me give my idea of what I would like to see in a journal program.
1. Easy to use and move around in.
2. Very user friendly.
3. Each journalist have there own photo gallery
4. Not to many statistics
5. Guest books
6. Calendar
7. Biography, about journalist
8. Gear list
9. Trail name explanation
10. Start location
11. End location
12. Miles today
13. Number of days is each: Shelter, tent/hammock, hostel, house, and motel.
14. Email subscriptions
15. Mail drops
16. Small stats page
17. For thru hikers only

Well that is all I can thing of for now. I believe a journal program should be simple and sweet with not too many bells and whistles. This way it is easy for the journalist and the end user.

Now let me get other people opinions. What would you like to see in a journal program?

One thing I haven't seen in this list, and haven't noticed on trailjournals either, is the concept of the journalist as being someone who might just make multiple trips. If I point someone to my online trail journal (not my trailjournal), I'd want them to be presented with an overview or homepage (maybe with a bio, my current location/current trip, and with links to each trip I've journalled -- whether on this site or on another). These links would be sort of a nested-trailjournal -- so my AT trip would be one link, my LT trip another, my weekend in Linville Gorge yet another. I'm not sure such a feature exists in current journal software.

attroll
04-13-2006, 02:21
Grrr. What's the point of keeping a journal if it's going to be censored? No offense, troll, I'm sure there are good business/liability reasons for doing so, but .... as a user, if I'm offered a place to keep a journal, I sort of expect editorial control. Otherwise, I'm just being offered the chance to write for someone else's publication.

wbdent I don't know how far Trailjournals goes as to editing drugs and sex being mentioned. When I say that I would edit the journals also, I meant to a certain extent. I agree that a journal is and extensions of your thoughts and opinions along with your experiences on the trail. But if you are going to start talking about illegal drug activity or illegal drugs your doing on the trail and getting explicit about your sexual activities then that would be something I would edit. I think some sort of etiquette needs to be used when posting journals. We have a lot of your people that are dreaming of thru hiking the Appalachian Trail someday. When I say young I mean teenagers and even younger that log on to WhiteBlaze and other sites reading forums and journals. This would be the reason for editing anything too explicit about drugs and sexual content and anything else that fits into that category.

On to the wishlist...

One thing I haven't seen in this list, and haven't noticed on trailjournals either, is the concept of the journalist as being someone who might just make multiple trips. If I point someone to my online trail journal (not my trailjournal), I'd want them to be presented with an overview or homepage (maybe with a bio, my current location/current trip, and with links to each trip I've journalled -- whether on this site or on another). These links would be sort of a nested-trailjournal -- so my AT trip would be one link, my LT trip another, my weekend in Linville Gorge yet another. I'm not sure such a feature exists in current journal software.
wbdent If WhiteBlaze were to ever offer journals in the future it would only be for Appalachian Trail journals only. WhiteBlaze was created for the Appalachian Trail. We have added a forum for other long trail in our forums. But we need to start sticking to our original goal in staying and dealing with the Appalachian Trail.

weggers
04-13-2006, 03:12
I just wanted to see what other software was out there.

I use Serendipity. You can check out my site at www.thelorax.us

Uncle Silly
04-13-2006, 17:05
If WhiteBlaze were to ever offer journals in the future it would only be for Appalachian Trail journals only. WhiteBlaze was created for the Appalachian Trail. We have added a forum for other long trail in our forums. But we need to start sticking to our original goal in staying and dealing with the Appalachian Trail.

You've got a point. Just seems too limited for my taste; I probably wouldn't use it. But then, I don't have a journal anywhere else either. YMMV.

Peaks
04-13-2006, 17:14

It's one thing to write about drugs, sex, and such in your own private and personal journal. But, when you publish a journal in cyberspace, then a little restraint is needed. You have no control over who reads it. Much the same restraint should be exercised when writing in shelter registers.

Uncle Silly
04-13-2006, 17:45
"Yea, tho I do not agree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."

(poor paraphrase, I know...)

While I realize civilization thinks it requires restraint, I don't like it, and I will make no bones about that fact. I think the prohibitionary drug laws are bad, at best, and unconstitutional, at worst; I think the prudish attitudes towards sex and nudity are harmful, not helpful, to society; and I think the trend towards censorship is a Very Bad Thing(tm). I'm an idealist, no doubt, but I believe firmly that "Freedom of Speech" must be unconditional to be worth a d***.

OK, this is terribly off-topic now. We can move this debate to a new topic, if need be. I'll say no more here.

postholer.com
04-15-2007, 23:19
The short answer is, YES, there is an alternative to TJ's. And it really is a better host, including EMail entry updates for text AND photos.

The site is postholer.com (http://postholer.com/journal) and it's new this year. Here's the highlights of the features you'll find at postholer:

+ Add journal entries/photos by email!!!
+ Spell Checker!!!
+ Photo Journal - unequaled display of your photos
+ Extended journal information for keeping track of every aspect
+ Guestbook for your visitors
+ Photo Manager - multiple photos per entry
+ Integrated journal & forum accounts
+ Complete add, edit, delete control over your journal
+ Option to make your journal private, does not appear in searches
+ Multiple journal handling that will blow your mind!
+ Automatic bookmarks for readers - up to 200 journals
+ RSS support for timely notification of journal updates

TIDE-HSV
04-16-2007, 00:08
the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to privately owned and run web sites. Never has. Try your front yard... :D

Earl Grey
04-16-2007, 00:59
I set up my own site, check in my signature. I did it because of the censorship of TJ. If I want to have pics of bears having sex in the middle of the woods I want to be able to and not worry about anything! :-?

Dharma
04-16-2007, 10:42
TrailJournals was fun for me and I got to include two of my friends in the 'production' of my thru hike. My friend Kris was my transcriber and I would round-robin flash cards to my friend Wally to get pics on the site. It worked well and my friends really enjoyed being part of the support team and also first to see/read all my stuff.

Rufous Sided Towhee
04-16-2007, 11:30
The short answer is, YES, there is an alternative to TJ's. And it really is a better host, including EMail entry updates for text AND photos.

The site is postholer.com (http://postholer.com/journal) and it's new this year.

Happy postholer.com user here. I moved my trail journal from TJ to postholer earlier this year and have been extremely pleased with the site, its abilities and the site administrators. To the OP, postholer looks like it's a great match for your needs, give 'em a try!

Rufous Sided Towhee
04-16-2007, 11:44
I set up my own site, check in my signature. I did it because of the censorship of TJ. If I want to have pics of bears having sex in the middle of the woods I want to be able to and not worry about anything! :-?

LOL. My problems with TJ weren't with censorship, it was the lack of ability to control one's own personal information there that sent me packing. I uploaded the wrong pic for my "about" photo there, then was stunned to find out that I was not allowed to edit, change or remove it. :eek: You have to ask the site administrators to do it for you. It took weeks for them to do so, and in that frustrating time frame, I discovered some additional hassles with the site.

Finally, I decided to just delete my entire journal and go elsewhere. Nope. You are not allowed to delete your trail journal on TJ. Ever. I sent a half-dozen requests for them to please delete my journal. After having all my requests ignored, I posted to their little "forum" about the problems, I was having. Result: I was (and still am) locked out of my TJ account (login was rendered invalid).

My trail journal is STILL there. :rolleyes:

ShakeyLeggs
04-16-2007, 11:48
I have taken a look a number of times at Postholer. Looks good but I do have a few concerns with it. this first bein that in my opinion navagating arond the site is a bit of a chore. Kind of hard to find what i am looking for. Althogh I did just take another look at it again and see there is now a dropdown list to bring up journals from different trails and years that helps allot. My next concern is that I do not see anyway to subscribe to a journal other than RSS. I would like tha ability to bookmark a journal so that I can quicklt return to it. The site also seems more geared to the PCT than the AT. That is not a problem at all. But just an observation. I may just set up an account there and see how it works for me.

Rufous Sided Towhee
04-16-2007, 11:53
I have taken a look a number of times at Postholer. Looks good but I do have a few concerns with it. this first bein that in my opinion navagating arond the site is a bit of a chore. Kind of hard to find what i am looking for. Althogh I did just take another look at it again and see there is now a dropdown list to bring up journals from different trails and years that helps allot. My next concern is that I do not see anyway to subscribe to a journal other than RSS. I would like tha ability to bookmark a journal so that I can quicklt return to it. The site also seems more geared to the PCT than the AT. That is not a problem at all. But just an observation. I may just set up an account there and see how it works for me.

Shaky, in my experience w/postholer, they have been extremely receptive and responsive to requests from users and very fast to implement new features at the site.

ShakeyLeggs
04-16-2007, 12:09
Shaky, in my experience w/postholer, they have been extremely receptive and responsive to requests from users and very fast to implement new features at the site.
Nice that is good to know thanks for posting that.

I just set up an accout at Postholer. They do infact have a great and easy to navigate set up over there. Very feature rich as well. I am really impressed. Only problem I see is that I now have to maintain 3 journals. One here, one at TJ's and one there. hehe Not really a proble as I enjoy it.

postholer.com
04-18-2007, 12:02
Rufous and ShakeyLeggs, thanks for the kind words!

And it's good to see you over at postholer!

We figure that once folks compare journals at postholer.com (http://postholer.com/journal) with TJ's, they'll continue to make the change.

We encourage journalists to make suggestions. We want to hear from you. It only makes the site better and makes for satisfied journalists.

Thanks again!

postholer.com
06-28-2007, 12:54
Ok, folks. We heard you.

For those of you keeping a journal on your own web site, you can now use all the powerful tools available at http://postholer.com/journal and integrate your postholer journal into your site.

This means email journal updates will appear immediately on your web site. For examples and to learn more, visit: http://postholer.com/journal/help.php#embed

We have features far beyond trailjournals, so check us out. That goes for section hikers, too! :D

attroll
07-12-2007, 03:30
The WhiteBlaze Journals will be online before the end of the this fall and will be taking applicants then.

Jaybird
07-12-2007, 05:14
They are all "national parks" (defined as "run by the National Park Service" as opposed to "run by the National Forest Service") though obviously they are not all "National Parks" ....:banana

YOU are CORRECT, SIR!:D

i like trailjournals.com...because its the "GRAND-DADDY" of all journal sites...& i've been using it for 7 years...
when WB gets their journal site up & running...will try it out!