PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Rockfish Gap/Waynesboro?

Almost There
04-12-2006, 11:37
Has anyone here ever left their car at the gap for a hike? Planning my hike for June and one of the guidebook's says you can leave your car there but you have to let the front desk know for how long. Is it safe? Do they charge? I'll probably have to call anyways, but wanted to see if any of you have done it...and your impressions of doing so.

jlb2012
04-12-2006, 11:45
I think you are talking about parking at The Inn at Afton (http://www.theinnatafton.com/) - for those readers who might be thinking of some other parking area.

Rendezvous01
04-12-2006, 11:46
I've heard and read that there generally aren't any problems with parking at Rockfish Gap. I think they prefer that you park in a particular area, hence the check-in, but I'll find out soon, as I'm heading there this coming weekend for a sobo section. I can give you a report in about a week and a half.

Almost There
04-12-2006, 12:29
Thanks, Let me know how it goes.

James Fetter
04-12-2006, 12:39
David,
The area is open and there are plenty of good spots to park. The Ranger Station entrance to the National Park is just north maybe 1/4 mile. Access to both north and south is very accessible. Note if you are going north thru the National Park don't forget to register. If you are hiking south there is a great first rate shelter about 7 miles south.
Bottom line and a direct answer to your question - it as much safer then many other places because of the openness. Best of luck on your hike.

Jim

peter_pan
04-12-2006, 16:39
You can park free at the Inn...They just ask you to check in with them and park on the end row...have used it several times over the year...never ant issues.

Pan

kyerger
04-13-2006, 07:41
when are you going? I am starting a flip-flop on June 4. hope to see you there

Almost There
04-13-2006, 08:58
Starting sometime during the week of June 5th from Pearisburg. I'm hiking with a new hiker. The plan is to leave a car near Pearisburg and one at Rockfish Gap. Two weeks to hike. Should be a nice one. Originally I was gonna go all the way to Harper's but another commitment has come up and I won't be able to.

Fat Man Walking
04-13-2006, 22:29
Hey Almost:

This is my next section of the trail only, I will be starting at Pearisburg on or about the 20th of July through the first week of August. If you can remember, I would greatly appreciate a heads up on what to expect. I have worked out about 20 or so plans of attack for this section (Have a little OCD with this hike planning).

Thanks in advance

:-?