PDA

View Full Version : Think of getting a new pack

stickat04
04-12-2006, 12:54
I am thinking about buying a new backpack the ULA Circuit, anyone own one yet?
http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.htm

DrewNC2005
04-12-2006, 13:30
I have one and I highly recommend it. I haven't taken it in the field yet, but I have walked around with it loaded up. It is by far the most comfortable lightweight (and even more comfortable than my "heavyweight") pack I've ever put on my back.

When I started lightening my load, I went for the Vapor Trail. Most people say very good things about it. Got it, loaded it up and never got out in the field with it. It fit great, too. But, I couldn't take my eye off the Circuit. I went out on a limb buying it since nobody had reviewed it and I am not disappointed at all.

In terms of overall fit and comfort, the Circuit makes the Vapor Trail look silly. I felt no weight on my shoulders at all with the Circuit and I really didn't feel much weight or pressure on my hips for that matter. It has a weightlessness to it that is hard to describe. Simply put, you really don't feel like you have on a pack. Highly recommended.

Footslogger
04-12-2006, 13:35
[quote=DrewNC2005]In terms of overall fit and comfort, the Circuit makes the Vapor Trail look silly.
=================================
Pretty strong language. I've reviewed the Circuit on the ULA website and agree that it sure looks like a good alternative ...but you gotta explain to me how it makes the Vapor Trail look silly ??

I appreciate your enthusiasm, which is to be expected with a new piece of gear, but I'm curious what kind of total weight you're talking when making that "weightless" claim.

I should mention that I currently carry the Vapor Trail and used it on my thru in 2003.

'Slogger

DrewNC2005
04-12-2006, 14:44
You're right - very strong language. I loaded up somewhere between 22 and 25 lbs in both and compared the feeling/first impressions. First of all, the hipbelt on the ULA pack is far superior in my opinion. Strangely, it's about the same thickness but the comfort level is much higher. It might be that the ULA pack just fits ME better but others on backpackinglight forums have mentioned the "weightlessness" feeling with similar amounts of weight.

Additionally, the Vapor Trail tended to leave a small amount of weight on my shoulders while the ULA left none at all. I obviously have not carried the pack over a long distance such as you and am only comparing initial thoughts/feelings on the packs. But in my very limited experience (loading the packs up and taking them for a 20-30 minute stroll), the ULA pack really does make the Vapor Trail look very inferior.

stickat04
04-12-2006, 15:09
Did you get any of the options? I am thinking of getting the internal stash pocket. How long did it take to get yours drew? 25 pounds should be about where I am at with food and water. I did try the vapor trail before my thru last year and I felt the weight on my shoulders also.

Footslogger
04-12-2006, 15:17
First of all, the hipbelt on the ULA pack is far superior in my opinion.
==============================
You're probably gonna laugh ...but I took the hip belt off my ULA pack and attached it to my Vapor Trail. I agree. It's more comfortable plus I really like the stitched down zippered pockets.

the ULA pack really does make the Vapor Trail look very inferior.

Can you be more specific ?? I mean ...is it the materials used or the construction or just the general layout of the pack ??

'Slogger

DrewNC2005
04-12-2006, 16:18
Can you be more specific ?? I mean ...is it the materials used or the construction or just the general layout of the pack ??

'Slogger

In terms of overall durability, I cannot comment. I have never used either in the field. On first impressions, the materials used on the ULA pack do SEEM more durable and probably are based on my limited knowledge of fabrics.

On the topic of layout, the ULA pack, in my opinion, is a much more functional design. For example, the infamous side pockets on the Vapor Trail really are fairly useless. I know this from using the similarly designed GG Nimbus Latitude which I have used in the field. Yes, you can stuff junk in them and they will hold, but on the go, it is very difficult to remove anything from them. Plus, the compression straps go around the pockets which means you have to jam your stuff behind the straps only further strengthening the hold on something you may want to remove on the go. Minor complaint, yes, but valid. The pockets on the ULA are not made of the stretchy stuff and are bellowed so that you can easily remove water bottles, etc. on the fly.

Additionally, the entire front of the pack has a large mesh pocket which the Vapor Trail does not. This would be an excellent spot to put a wet tarp or other gear so that it can dry out while hiking. The Vapor Trail just has compression straps on the front side (opposite the backpanel) that are not exactly ideal for strapping gear to the outside. Do they work? Yes. Are they as nice as having a mesh pocket? No. (Of course, that is all a matter of opinion). Lastly, with respect to layout, the hipbelt pockets are ingenious and extremely useful/handy. The Vapor Trail does not have these. Also, the extension collar on the Vapor Trail was not only pretty much useless, but it was a nuisance when packing. It was extremely long and flopped all over the place. I did find out how to roll it over the top like a trash bag and stuff my junk in but it was just a hassle that is non-existent with the Circuit. I am being nit-picky with that one.

The purpose of comparing the two packs was not to disparage the Vapor Trail - even though it may come across that way. The Vapor Trail is a VERY nice pack. When I first got it, I was very excited - as I am with the Circuit. I just wanted to exhaust all of the options out there and purchased the Circuit just to see if it was as nice. Turns out, the Circuit is every bit of what I wanted and then some. It is the same weight, has a little more space, and more features than the Vapor Trail. In my opinion, the Circuit is a far superior pack in terms of layout, comfort, functionality, and probably durability.

Footslogger
04-12-2006, 16:30
[quote=DrewNC2005]Thanks for the specifics. Having owned a ULA pack and having dealt with Brian before I'm inclined to think that I might go that route when it's time to replace my Vapor Trail. He's a great guy and puts out an excellent product.

As you pointed out, some of your issues with the VT are knit-picky and to be totally honest I don't have them myself. I do wish that Granite Gear would have thought to make the side pockets out of a see-through mesh rather than the spandex material but for me they were/are very functional. Guess it depends on what/how much stuff you're trying to cram into them. I always know what I have in the pouches and never had/have any problems locating/removing or replacing it.

The storm collar of the VT is long but coming out of towns on a 6 day re-supply I sometimes needed the extra room on top of the pack and the collar came in handy. I also found that I could wrap the collar around my 1.8 Liter Platy and lay it horizontally across the top of the pack and then secure it with the tensioning straps, draping the drinking tube over my shoulder. Worked like a champ.

I'm gonna keep my eye on that Circuit and read more reviews by owners but in the meantime my Vapor Trail still has lots of life left and will no doubt serve me well for some time to come.

Thanks again for the detailed feedback.

'Slogger

Rustle
04-28-2006, 06:24
Drew--

I have been looking at the Circuit--seems like a great product. How long did it take to get, as I have heard Brian has been pretty busy?

Have you had a chance to use it in the field yet--an updated "review" when you do. Thanks

Singletrack
04-28-2006, 08:29
Has anyone weighed the ULA Circuit on a digital scale? Does ULA's weight of 32 oz. include the hipbelt? Or is the 32 oz. just for the pack? The P1 was advertised as 24 ounces, but in reality weighed 33.5 ounces, with the two pocket hipbelt.

Tin Man
04-28-2006, 09:14
Has anyone weighed the ULA Circuit on a digital scale? Does ULA's weight of 32 oz. include the hipbelt? Or is the 32 oz. just for the pack? The P1 was advertised as 24 ounces, but in reality weighed 33.5 ounces, with the two pocket hipbelt.

I suspect 32 oz. is mfg. weight for medium size and that the large is slightly more.

aufgahoban
04-28-2006, 09:25
I just got my Circuit ULA Monday. (the UPS guy is a bit worried about the little dance I did by his truck.. yes, strangely it looked sorta like the banana dance) It took just a little over 3 weeks from the day I ordered it until it arrived. They didn't charge my card until right before it was shipped out. Yes, Brian is busy, but he has his staff working diligently to get the orders processed in the amount of time stated on the website (I think it says 4-6 weeks or something like that). He even took the time to email me back when I asked him a question. Now I don't have a lot to compare it to (my junky old backpack is such a sad excuse for a pack that it's not even in the same league), but it was recommended to me by some hikers I have great respect for so my wallet and I took a leap of faith. I haven't taken it out on the trail yet, but from what I can tell from just playing with it around the house, this is one cool backpack.

I'm not sure what material they use. It's almost like plastic table cloth material, but it's not. :banana

DrewNC2005
04-28-2006, 09:42
It took mine about 2.5 weeks to arrive. I have taken it on one ~20 mi overnighter around Damascus VA and it was awesome. From my limited use, I learned very quickly that I love the mesh pockets - even more so than I thought I would. We got drenched in a freak thunder/hail storm on top of Mt Rogers and had to hike two miles in it. The mesh pockets were great for throwing wet junk in and moving on once the rain subsided. One complaint: the load lifter straps wanted to slide off of the shoulder strap area where the strap met my mid-chest. I didn't figure out the solution to this one until I got home. All I had to do was move the straps in closer (tighter) and keep them there with the sternum strap. I also figured out that I had the lifters pulled too tight. No biggie.

I haven't used it enough to really write an in depth review, but when I get more miles on it, I will certainly let you know.

Lilred
04-29-2006, 10:02
stickat04,
I have the U-2 and love it. I hear the circuit is even better. I got mine at Neel Gap last year and took it on a 200 mile section. It held up wonderfully and still looks brand new even with all the rain and mud I hiked through. The type of material he uses keeps clean very nicely. As far as comfort, I carried from 30 to 35 pounds and never had a problem. The only time I felt it in my shoulders was after 10 hours of hiking with a full pack. I have the top lid which comes off to use as a fanny pack with the hipbelt, very convenient in towns. I wish I had gotten the internal stash bag. I love the side mesh pockets. I keep my thermarest in one and my tarptent in the other. Perfect fit.

I remember at one point I sat down on a log to rest and leaned up against a tree and forgot I had it on. I FORGOT it was on. I sat there laughing at myself over that one.