PDA

View Full Version : Hammock as a tent

RadioFreq
04-12-2006, 17:03
Somewhere (not necessarily on WB, maybe it was on a Yahoo site) I seem to remember a thread or link to instructions on how, using hiking poles, to set up your hammock as a tent when there are no trees available?

Anyone seen this? Can you point me to it? I'm having no luck. :confused:

Footslogger
04-12-2006, 17:15
Here's one reference for you:

http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_hammock.html

'Slogger

RadioFreq
04-12-2006, 17:29
Beutiful, perfect. Thanks, 'slogger.

Why does it not surprise me that, after everything I've read here, Sgt. Rock
would have the answer?

Footslogger
04-12-2006, 17:39
Ya know ...I just remembered that Tom Hennessey himself used to have a reference to the whole hammock as a tent thing on his website too.

Here's that link as well ...

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-tent.htm

'Slogger

Just Jeff
04-12-2006, 19:00
One serious problem with using your hammock as a tent: YOU HAVE TO SLEEP ON THE GROUND!!

Eek.

(j/k)

RadioFreq
04-14-2006, 06:01
True, true. However, sooner or later a treeless situation will present itself.
Afterwards it will just make you appreciate "hangin'" that much more.

neo
04-14-2006, 09:27
Somewhere (not necessarily on WB, maybe it was on a Yahoo site) I seem to remember a thread or link to instructions on how, using hiking poles, to set up your hammock as a tent when there are no trees available?

Anyone seen this? Can you point me to it? I'm having no luck. :confused:

you can use any of tom claytors hammocks as a tent:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/mosquitohammock.html

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/expeditionhammock.html

stag3
04-14-2006, 17:11
Okay, RadioFreq, you need to report back if you can get the HH as tent without trees to work. I tried a lot useing hiking poles instead if trees and had nothing but failure. Getting the HH set was easy. Problem was every time I got inside it fell:eek: .

I had some WB suggestions on how to tie off the hiking poles, but still generally not good.

So, PLEASE post some pictures and "how to" instructions if you get the HH to work.

Hana_Hanger
04-14-2006, 18:09
Getting the HH set was easy. Problem was every time I got inside it fell:eek: .

Ditto I gave up trying with my HH and my Byer. Now my Siam Hammock did work, no problem... as both a two pole hoop bivy and the A framed but oh my word....:mad: I could not move or breath. NO way do I want to use a Hammock as a tent!!

I quickly bought :eek: yes a TENT one Eureka! Solitare for storage of gear when alone...(it looks like two people are camping and my husband feels better about this ) and a Eureka! Pinnacle Pass 2XTA for my hike with my niece. Some places you need a tent...sorry I feel you do! (PCT)

Now for sure I will be attacked and blasted...but a tent is so uncomfortable even with a 72 x 25 x 1/2" CCF and yes a 72 x 20 x 2.5 air Big Anges sleeping pad. I think I have just hung to long...or I have grown to old for this kiss the ground stuff:-?

peter_pan
04-15-2006, 13:53
Ditto I gave up trying with my HH and my Byer. Now my Siam Hammock did work, no problem... as both a two pole hoop bivy and the A framed but oh my word....:mad: I could not move or breath. NO way do I want to use a Hammock as a tent!!

I quickly bought :eek: yes a TENT one Eureka! Solitare for storage of gear when alone...(it looks like two people are camping and my husband feels better about this ) and a Eureka! Pinnacle Pass 2XTA for my hike with my niece. Some places you need a tent...sorry I feel you do! (PCT)

Now for sure I will be attacked and blasted...but a tent is so uncomfortable even with a 72 x 25 x 1/2" CCF and yes a 72 x 20 x 2.5 air Big Anges sleeping pad. I think I have just hung to long...or I have grown to old for this kiss the ground stuff:-?

Hana, et al,

The trick with the HH is to tie the tree saver stap to the support line at the end of the hammock...then using the line and the strap guy out the end as a triangle...sides are rope, strap and the ground between the stakes on oeach end.

The key is triangulatiion and the side asym points are not enough by themselves to provide minimum triangulation... plus, there asm location torques any triagle formed into a probable collapse when the dynamics of getting in or out are added.

Using this technique make the "HH bivi" viable and is pretty easy once practiced.

Pan

Hana_Hanger
04-15-2006, 17:58
So I am forming a triangle at each end attached to the hiking pole?
Needing 2 tent pegs on each end correct...like when doing a tarp without any trees?
Thank you for the tips/hints Pan. I will practice that...sounds like I am techniquely challenged :P which of course I know I am hee hee

titanium_hiker
04-22-2006, 08:54
I would think you would need 4 stakes- to hold the ridgeline up, and then at the corners of the tarp. like this + a peg in each corner. The hammock should be pretty loosely strung, and then the tarp tight.

I haven't tried this though- my hammock is top entry.

titanium_geek

titanium_hiker
04-22-2006, 09:16
really bad sketches, but that's what I have seen in the pictures, and in my mind.

TH

Hana_Hanger
04-23-2006, 13:21
Hi TH
That looks good...I tried again it does work...I just feel too closed in for some reason...but I would do it if I could not hang and had no tent as backup :)

mr. dribbles
04-24-2006, 05:50
In prep for an upcoming trip I set my HH as a tent this weekend. I used trekking poles set at about 2 1/2 feet tall, the ridge line tied in a cinch (you could also use an overhand knot) around the grip, and the tree hugger looped through itself as a slip knot or lasso around the grip. The ridge line was staked out at about 45 degrees to one side and the tree hugger was same angle and staked out the other direction. The result was a taut ridgeline, excellent stability, and used six stakes- two at each end and two for the hammock and fly tieouts- I carry six gutter nails. Because I have the standard tree huggers the height of the trekking poles is limited. I use taut line hitches to keep tension on the ridgeline. The fly was clipped to the ridgeline.

Remember to use a groundsheet as the hammock has no waterproofing.

titanium_hiker
04-24-2006, 06:13
yeah, a ground sheet is a good idea- you can also use it as a "door mat" when hanging regularly.

Any pictures of your set up? Picutres have got to be better than my drawings!

23 days till my hammock comes back!

TH